- Text Size +
It was Thanksgiving. Everything was back on track. Nick wanted to spend Thanksgiving in Denver, Colorado. He hadn’t been there for a while and he heard that it was going to snow on Thanksgiving. He wanted to make Thanksgiving for Brianna and Mark the best he could. They flew up a few days before Thanksgiving to avoid the big crowds at airports and to avoid the snow. Nick’s family would be joining them the day after Thanksgiving. It had been a couple of months since he and Brianna started going out. Brianna had spoken to his family a couple of times on the phone but never actually met them.

Waking up on Thanksgiving morning, they all woke up to snow outside. Nick and Brianna were snuggled up in bed, warming each other up when Mark ran in and jumped up and down shrieking “It’s snowing.”
“Come on then. Let’s put our jackets on and get outside. Think we could build a snow man?” Nick asked him.
“Yay!” Mark squealed. Nick and Brianna got out of bed, put their winter gear on, and went to help Mark who almost had everything on right. Nick and Mark ran outside, Brianna going back inside to grab the video camera. She wanted to capture this Thanksgiving.

Brianna went outside and Nick was teaching Mark on how to make snowballs and then to throw them. It almost seemed to family like and almost something from a movie or TV show. Mark stumbled in the snow a few times but he got back up and had fun. Brianna gave Nick the video camera, called over to Mark and she lay on the ground. “Snow angels.” She told him. Mark wasn’t interested. He and Nick threw snowballs at her.

As the snow increased they went inside. They showered and changed and Brianna began to start cooking the turkey. It was going to cover the two days and had quite a few hours of cooking to do. Everyone called to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving and they all had a conversation on what they were all doing.

After the very filling dinner, Mark fell asleep on the floor watching TV. Brianna was just about to lean down and pick him up when Nick did. “I can handle this don’t you think?” He asked her. She just grinned. Few minutes later, Nick returned back, a hand behind his back.
“What you doing with your hand behind your back?” She asked as he walked back into the living room.
“Nothing.” Nick replied as he sat down next to her and brought that hand forward handing her a box.
“What have you done?” Brianna asked.
“Open and find out silly.” Nick chuckled. Brianna untied the ribbon and then lifted the top of the box open, unravelling the tissue paper that surrounded the gift. It was a photo of when Andrew when he was born next to Mark when he was born. Brianna tried to get words out but she couldn’t.
“Alright?” He asked a few minutes later.
“It’s more than alright. It’s perfect. Thankyou.” She managed to say, throwing her arms around him.

Next morning, the three of them tidied the house up for when Nick’s family, minus his Dad would arrive. Nick was going to spend a weekend with his Dad in a week fishing off the Florida Keys coast with Aaron.

When everyone arrived they gave Nick all hugs, put down their presents for each other and went into the living room. Brianna and Mark were in the kitchen, giving Nick some time with his family. Mark was helping with the basting of the turkey that didn’t finish cooking from the day before. “Ready?” Nick asked walking in.
Mark ran ahead into the living room when he heard laughter.

“Everyone, this is Brianna. Oh and her rug rat Mark.” Nick introduced.
“That’s me.” Mark said. Everyone had a chuckle. Angel, Aaron and Leslie gave them hugs. Their mother was a bit reserved. Nick warned Brianna about this. While Mark kept his family entertained by doing things and they were spending time with Mark, Nick helped Brianna with the lunch.
“Your doing fine.” He assured her as they were bringing out the last of the food and everyone was gathered at the table.

After lunch, Aaron and Nick took Mark outside to play some football. Angel helped Brianna put away all the food and the dishes into the dishwasher. “With Leslie and Mom, don’t worry about them. Mom thinks she should be pampered for what she has done for us and Leslie, well she tries.” Angel said to Brianna.
“It’s alright really.” Brianna replied.
“Give them some time, they’ll come round. Christmas is only round the corner. You and Mark going next weekend with Nick down to the Keys to see Dad?” Angel asked.
“No, boys weekend. I’m working on the weekend anyway at the club.” Brianna replied closing the dishwasher door.
“Kind of a good thing. Those boys weekends are what you would expect. No showers, no nothing. I met them at the boat ramp one day and boy did I regret it. They were like, foul.” Angel laughed.
“I can imagine. But hey, that’s guys for you.” Brianna said.
“If they could, I swear Dad, Nick and Aaron wouldn’t shower for a week if they were out there fishing. The fish would run away. Especially when they have had a couple of drinks.” Angel said.
“Probably yeah.” Brianna replied as they walked outside putting their jackets on to join Nick, Aaron and Mark outside with the football.

This is how Brianna wanted to have Thanksgiving. Mark laughing and having fun. Being a boy. Everyone commented on how Nick grew attached to Mark so quickly in such a short amount of time. There was however, some sadness for Brianna. Andrew wasn’t physically here to see all this. Tackling his son in playing football. Snowball fights. Laughing. Brianna only wondered what the future would hold for them. She didn’t plan things, she just went with the flow. Life was good for now.