- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Surprise waiting for you.
It had been over a month since Brianna was kidnapped and Nick’s hell began. He had done everything within his power to protect Mark from everything. Shield him from everything so he wouldn’t get upset and fret for Brianna even more. Mark had grown attached to Nick now. Nick couldn’t go anywhere almost in the house without Mark. Mark thought that every time Nick disappeared, that Nick wouldn’t be coming back. Mark ended up spending the nights in Nick’s bed to get to sleep.

The police had left Nick’s place. There had been no updates 2 weeks after that meeting at Santa Monica Pier. They were keeping the case active but were stepping back from it. Nick still wasn’t taking chances of going outside with Mark. He felt like a prisoner with privileges but without parole.

Six weeks after Brianna’s kidnapping, Mark asleep in Nick’s bed, Nick wide awake as he normally was, stared out into the Los Angeles skyline. “Where are you babe?” He asked himself, sighing, a hand touching the window. On the windowsill photos showed of Nick, Brianna and Mark in the good times. Nick’s finger trailed down to the photos.

Wide awake, Nick thought he would get on the computer and escape the media on TV. A few TV shows were reporting that Nick hadn’t been seen in public since Brianna disappeared. He turned on the computer, sat on the chair that was near the window and gazed outside waiting for the computer to turn on. He turned on his iTunes program and just press play not seeing what was being played. Opening the internet browser he went to his emailed and went through all his emails, deleting ones thought were junk, keeping ones he knew. All of a sudden he froze.

“It’s funny how life can take new meaning. You came and changed what I believed in. The world on the outside is trying to pull me in. But they can’t touch me because I got you. I got you.” His song came on. “Maybe I am in too deep, but I don’t care.” The next words he heard. He was on his twitter page, fans still sending messages of support to Nick and then he saw a tweet saying this person had I Got You playing. He just put the computer down.

He grabbed his guitar from the corner in his wardrobe and quietly sneaked out the room and into the next room, light on for Mark. Nick had to play the guitar. He started to play a few bars of ‘I Got You’ before he started ‘Miss America’ and then ‘No One Else Comes Close’. “Nick! Nick!” Mark called out. Nick put down the guitar and ran into his bedroom.

“Alright?” Nick asked.
“Had a bad dream.” Mark whimpered rubbing his eyes.
“What was it about?” Nick asked sitting at the top of the bed next to Mark, opening his arms for Mark.
“Mommy not coming back.” He said.
“She’ll be back soon.” Nick hoped.
“You keep saying that, but when?” Mark emphasised the when.
“Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t kid.” Nick sighed holding him.
“I miss her.” Mark tearfully said.
“Me too champ. Me too.” Nick replied, holding back the tears, lifting his left hand to wipe the tears.

Come sunrise, Nick and Mark fell asleep on the couch in the living room, Mark’s head asleep on Nick’s lap, Nick’s arm on Mark’s side, his head tilted back. Nick got woken up by the phone ringing.
“Why hello Nick Carter. Good morning. Just thought would like to let you know that there is an update. Brianna is still alive, a video is being sent to this number now. Tonight after Mark has fallen asleep, you are to be at the front of your driveway, gates closed. Does not matter the time, as long as it’s dark.” The caller said and hung up.
“Wait, wait.” Nick rasped, gently lifting Mark’s head off his knee to get up. Mark continued to sleep on the couch. Beep, beep.

Nick opened the video. Brianna was against a wall, a black plain sheet behind her, Brianna sat in a chair, her hair tidied back, neatly and was given decent clothes to make as though she was being looked after.

Within the hour, Detective Mertz, Brian, and Howie arrived. Nick didn’t want Alex involved at this time. Howie was over at Brian’s when Nick rang. Detective Mertz didn’t say anything when Nick asked him about how Brianna looked. “She’s been beaten up hasn’t she?” Nick asked again.
“Detective Mertz? Please?” Howie spoke up. He took a sigh.
“Oh god.” Nick freaked out.

“You have been told to be at your front gate after dark once Mark has settled down for the night. Right?” Detective Mertz asked Nick.
“Umm, oh yeah. Yeah. Was told as long as it was dark.” Nick replied side tracked, his mind occupied by the footage of Brianna.
“What time is that?” Mertz asked.
“Last night or this morning should I say around 3 o’clock.” Nick replied.
“Again?” Howie asked Nick.
“Well how you be if you were 4 years old, your Mom just vanished off the face of the earth and your own Dad had died and were being left with not a family member?” Nick lashed out at Howie.
“Sorry, Nick.” Howie apologised.
“It’s cool. I’m sorry. It’s just this is frustrating. He had a bad dream last night and said that his Mommy isn’t coming home and doesn’t love him anymore.” Nick sighed.
“Aw gee.” Brian sighed, putting a hand on Nick’s shoulder.
“I don’t know what to tell him anymore.” Nick choked.
“You are doing the right thing Nick. Tonight may achieve something.” Detective Mertz said looking optimistic.
“How so?” Brian asked.
“All Nick has to do is just stand outside his front gate after dark and Mark has gone asleep.” Mertz explained.
“You saying she might be home tonight?” Nick asked getting nervous.
“No, I am not saying that. We may have a clue.” Mertz informed.
“I’m not staying outside with Mark on his own. No way.” Nick stated.
“I’ll come over. Leigh and James are on their way to Jersey for a few days so it’s just me. I’ll come around dinner time, have a boys night...then Mark should drift off...” Howie offered, looking at Detective Mertz for approval.
“Little involved the better. I wouldn’t feel right.” Nick objected.
“Nick, you have made this place like Fort Knocks. Codes or fingerprints for the rooms or sections part of the house. It’s almost secure as the White House.” Howie said.
“I could come over as well.” Brian added.
“No Brian, you’ve done enough. You need to be with Leigh and Baylee tonight. She’s got that presentation tomorrow.” Nick replied, remembering about something Leighanne told him for her business.
“Howie it is then.” Mertz interjected.

Mark sound asleep by midnight, sleeping across the couch, Nick and Howie on either sides of the couch, they looked at each other. Nick signalled that he was going out. As Nick got ready to go outside, Howie called Mertz to let him know Nick was getting ready to outside. Mertz and his team would be at the precinct, waiting, 2 minutes away.

Standing at the gate, locked, all by himself, un protected, no wires, cameras. He stood there. Hands in his pants pockets to try and keep warm, he rocked backwards and forwards. He noticed a car, black, unmarked a few houses away. He thought that it would be the police but it wasn’t. Someone emerged from the car.

Heart racing a million miles an hour, he stood there, not making a sound. The person kept coming closer to him. Panic set in. From a far distanced street light he was able to distinguish this person wearing black from head to toe. Standing in from of him, he gulped, nervous, not knowing what was going to happen.

The person then lifted their arms to the black hooded jacket they were wearing, hood down, the hair flickered, long brown hair. “Hello Nickolas.” The voice said. Nick was taken aback. He focused his eyes. Looking at the person, he knew who it was. “L......Lau....”He stammered, the person running back to the car and taking off. “LAUREN!” Nick screamed.
Chapter End Notes:
Are we closer to the end of the story, now that a clue or person has been identified??? Stay tuned.