- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please read and review....When do you think this will be over? Will Brianna be home for Thanksgiving?
“It’s LAUREN IT’S LAUREN,” Nick freaked out running back inside.
“Wait up, wait up....What you say?” Howie asked
“It’s Lauren! She is behind this. She has Brianna.” Nick blurted out.
“Are you sure? It is dark out there.” Howie asked trying to rationalise this.
“D, I tell ya it was her. Her voice. The way she walked. I wasn’t with her for the year or so and didn’t notice anything. Trust me it’s Lauren.” Nick said.
“You gotta tell Mertz man.”Howie told him.
“Like duh! He’ll be here couple of minutes.” Nick replied.
“Want me to stay for Mark?” Howie asked.
“Yeah if you don’t mind. I don’t know what is going to happen. I want him here and all. You’ll have to stay with him. Can take him in his room or whatever. Can’t leave him alone at all.” Nick replied.
“Hey Nick, I’m a Dad too you know. Calm down.” Howie told him.
“Man! Lauren! I knew we didn’t end on great terms but going this far! Why?” Nick asked as he walked to the front door to let Detective Mertz and a couple of officers in, as Howie picked up Mark and walked upstairs to Mark’s room.

“You know this woman?” Vince asked Nick as they sat in the living room, Nick facing him and the police officers.
“Don’t think I do now. We were going out for over a year and she was caught out by several people. I tried to confront her about it but she naturally denied it so I broke up with her over the phone. She wouldn’t face me. Two weeks later I got involved with Brianna. It was our one year anniversary a couple of weeks ago.” Nick explained, enraged at first.
“She never gave you, Lauren this is, that she would do something like this?” Mertz asked.
“I knew she could be bad like when we had fights and stuff but nothing like this. With how this has happened, someone would have had to have schemed her into this but I don’t know who.” Nick replied.

“Did she talk of places she used to go as a child? Places that were special to her? Vacation breaks? Anything at all? Detective Mertz asked.
“No not really. She mainly lived here in Los Angeles and never ventured far. She loved the city life too much. We did go camping once and lasted only the one night or half a night.” Nick replied.
“Where was this? Maybe she wanted to take revenge on you through Brianna for taking her camping.” Detective Mertz questioned.
“What? You serious? She would take Brianna there because she didn’t like camping?” Nick asked weird.
“You wouldn’t believe the tiniest detail can solve things.” Mertz replied.
“We just went to Saddleback Butte. She’s a photographer and wanted to do some photography and thought of this place. Out in the desert and had horse riding of what she wanted to do.” Nick answered, trying to remember the time but didn’t want to.
“What happened there? Why did you leave?” Mertz asked.
“We were arguing, I was trying to help her with the riding and she got angry and after a while quit and wanted to come home.” Nick replied.
“Any other places where you have like argued? Had favourite places?” Vince asked.
“We had a few but nothing really significant.” Nick sighed leaning back, burying his heads in his hands.
“Could you name them? Nick, I know this is hard but we need to get this to get Brianna back.” Mertz said. Nick rambled off a few places and after a few more questions, he left, Nick feeling exhausted.

“How’d it go?” Howie whispered as Nick walked in Mark’s bedroom. Mark asleep against Howie’s chest, Howie leaning against the bed head.
“Oh man, it was almost like retracing every step where the bitch and I went.” Nick sighed as he sat on the floor leaning against the wall below the windowsill, grabbing one of Mark’s action figures.
“They have any idea?” Howie asked.
“Not telling me, they are going to look into things.” Nick replied.
“You want me to tell AJ and Brian in the morning?” Howie asked.
“Nah, it’s all good thanks. They are coming here for lunch anyway so will tell them.” Nick said.
“No worries.” Howie smiled at him.
“How’d you do it D? Being a Dad?” Nick asked.
“You’re doing fine Nick. Proud of you.” Howie replied knowing what Nick was going to ask.
“I never thought me as a Dad, ya know. Not the marrying kind but Brianna and Mark have changed that for me. I feel like, the moment Brianna is in my arms, I want to marry her right there and then. I don’t wanna let her go.” Nick confessed.
“You will get to do that man, it’ll happen.” Howie replied as he gently removed himself from the bed, Nick getting up with Howie.
“You know, after tonight, I finally believe it. I finally believe it.” Nick said as they walked down the stairs. Once Howie left, Nick for the first time, while angry inside it was Lauren who was behind this, was actually believing that Brianna would be home soon.