- Text Size +
“Bri, it’s Nick, can you come over?” Nick asked at the end of the week. Seven weeks since Brianna was kidnapped. It was just days before Thanksgiving. He called Brian early on the Saturday morning.
“Brianna?” Brian instantly replied.
“Yeah.” Nick replied as he finished preparing Mark’s breakfast.
“Be there in 10 minutes.” Brian told him.

“Hey Mark, I wanna talk to you for a sec.” Nick said as Mark munched on his cereal.
“What?” Mark asked.
“Your Uncle Brian is coming over soon.” Nick began to say.
“Baylee coming?” Mark cut in.
“No, he’s not coming. I need you to listen to me.” Nick replied. Mark gave his attention to Nick.
“As I said, Uncle Brian is coming here. I need to go out for a while. Will you be right if Brian stays here with you?” Nick asked.
“You coming back?” Mark asked worried.
“Yeah course I am buddy. I need to go out and do some important things but I will be back.” Nick replied.
“When?” Mark asked.
“Tonight maybe, maybe tomorrow. I don’t know.” Nick replied honestly.
“I wanna come with you.” Mark said tearfully, knowing that the last time he heard these words, Brianna went. Nick had to compose himself.
“This isn’t like your Mom, Mark. I promise you. I will be back.” Nick tried to assure Mark, bringing out his pinky finger. “Pinky swear?” Nick said.
“No.” Mark replied upset.
“Mark, Mark.” Nick called out to Mark who ran up to his room, the doorbell buzzing.

“Hey man.” Nick said stressed, opening the door and running up the stairs to Mark’s room.
“Mark, I promise you I will be back. I will call during the day but I do need to go out. I will bring back a surprise for you.” Nick tried to reason with Mark, knowing that it would be impossible.
“You promised you wouldn’t leave me.” Mark cried.
“I know I did, I know, but this is super dooper important. You can call me anytime. I will have my phone with me but I do need to go.” Nick said.
“Hey Mark, what do you say, when Nick is gone, we go and raid his computer games? I know where the best games are. He hides them from me because I beat him at it.” Brian suggested to Mark to get his mind off things.
“Like what?” Mark asked.
“Well I always win and can show you on how to win on so many games. But I’m not going to tell while Nick is here. It’s our secret.” Brian replied sitting on the bed next to Mark cuddling him, going to tickle him. Mark just cackled laughing. Brian giving Nick the signal to go. It broke Nick’s heart to see Mark like he did.

As he drove to Saddleback Butte he prepared himself for anything. He prepared himself for the fact of having to only come back again, pretending to be nice to Lauren to end the situation, to even the worst case scenario which he didn’t think too much about. Either way, Nick was going to Saddleback Butte.

Arriving at Saddleback Butte State Park, Nick was cleared to go in and help with the situation, see what was going on from a distance.

“I want her out now. This ends today.” Nick threatened the police officers pushing his way through them. If he could get through thousands of fans waiting to see him at airports, hotels, venues, he could handle a few police officers. Nick began his race to the top.