- Text Size +
Jade’s POV]

I pretended to be asleep on the couch, as Alex continued to watch a movie. I had obliged and stayed with him. I know bad idea but you have to understand something… I was changing but one thing was not my compassion for people. I was starting to feel a strong bond between him and me. I think it’s the whole cupid bond with your human bond or at least that is what I wanted to believe.

I could hear him sigh deeply as he turned off the TV and I felt the couch sink beside me. I knew then he had moved from the love seat to the couch where I had conveniently fallen asleep. I waited patiently for a tap or some sort of call from him but instead I felt a soft feather touches as his fingers caressed my neck. I felt the shivers go down my neck down to my spine. I knew I had to pretend to wake up and I was about to when I heard him whisper and couldn’t open my eyes yet.

“Jade Mason you are something else.” he whispered and there it was his lips just softly brushing my cheek leaving a tingly sensation and for the millionth time since I got this mission I thought I felt my heart beat. I wanted to wake up but I couldn’t do that and embarrass him, he would know then that I had heard him.

I continued to “sleep” but could hear everything. We have better hearing than you can imagine for example I could be in Canada and AJ could be in Brazil if I wanted to hear him I could like if he was in the same room with me. So my ears got to listen to him play his guitar. I smiled as realized just how beautiful his voice was.

Finally opening my eyes knowing he was not in the living room anymore I pretended to wake up. I checked the clock and was astonished to see the time. I walked to his studio where he sat playing to his faithful companions his two dogs. “I'm sorry to interrupt,” I told him pretending to stretch and yawn, hey I have to make it believable.

“No your fine,” he told me as he stopped playing putting his guitar aside. I smiled at him and then he asked, “So you ready for the party? I can’t wait for you to meet Janet and my band mates. They are all going to be there we’re going to sing to her… she doesn’t know.” he told me eagerly I just smiled at him.

“I really don’t think I should go,” I told him trying to find a good excuse. I sighed heavily to by me time and then it hit me, “about that, I know what you said AJ but I was wondering if I could cancel see my fiancé is coming in from San Francisco just to see me.” I bit my lip trying not to show that I was lying through my teeth.

“Oh right I forgot about that, well bring him with you.” I felt horrible as I heard his disappointment at my comment. I shook my head and was about to tell him no but he beat me to it. “I’d love to meet him and it will be fun,” he said as he pretended sudden interest on one of his dog’s collars. “I think spike needs a new collar will you put that on my list to get this week.” He told me still not looking up to see me.

“Ok I will,” I told him and then I cleared my throat. “I’m going to head out for a couple of hours to freshen up and I will be back.” I told him as I turned to leave.

“No just I’ll see you as La Deux tonight with you fiancé in tow.” He told me finally looking back at me but the look was not one I wanted to see in his.

“Please AJ,” I said sighing as I turned to look back at him.

“No seriously you’re turning down a party? You know you and Christine are so different I don’t know how you all could be such good friends. Just please come for me? I already had told my friends you were coming.” He asked with his eyes boring right through mine making feel that tingle again.

I sighed in defeat as I nodded and headed out the door. Great now not only did I have to plan out my night to searching a date for AJ now I had to go find a temporary fiancé. Which I gladly ended up finding; a male escort who I had to dress so it would look like someone I would date. I guess me saying that I wouldn’t let my human feelings get the best of me was easier said than done.

********

[AJ’s POV]

“Happy birthday sweetie,” I told Janet who was looking extra hot today. I mean I knew Janet for quite some time and she is more of the girl next door who also knows how to throw a mean football your way. She is the jean kind of girl but today she was just wow. I had a loss for words. “You look might sexy today? Are you finally trying to seduce me?” I asked jokingly.

She only laughed and then I saw her look toward Nick. I had always had a feeling she was a little sweet on Nick and maybe that’s why I had always seen her as just that my friend. Not that I like her or anything not in the romantic kind of way anyway. “No just got a new look, you know turning twenty seven has made me realized I need to start living a little.”

I smiled at her and then kissed her cheek, “Are you in the wedding blues too? Hell we are pathetic aren’t we not married and getting older by the minute?” I asked sighing with her as agreed by nodding at my question.

“The only difference is at least you get laid quite often on another hand I don’t” she pouted and then laughed at the look on my face. “Just joking Alex relax,” she told me slapping my hand lightly. “Well except for the part about you getting laid often,” she told me winking at me.

I was about to respond to her comment when some caught my eye. There she was Jade and her arm was wrapped around a young man. I couldn’t deny and say he wasn’t good looking because well I could totally see Jade with such type of guy. “I’ll be right back,” I told Janet as I made my way to her. “You made it,” I told her putting my best poker face about being excited about meeting her fiancé.

“Yes we did,” Jaded told me as she smiled at me and then there is was she introduced me to him. “AJ this is Russell my fiancé.” she then told Russell I was her temporary boss till Christine came back. I shook his hand and almost wanted to rip his arm out of anger.

Why was I being to aggravated over this? I barely knew this girl but yet something about her just pulled me toward her an invisible force it seemed. After a short greeting I brought them over and introduced them to my friend and of course the birthday girl. I quickly got the look from Chris that told me he now understood me.

As I danced with Janet I only stared toward the happy couple dancing. Jade looked so in love with Russell and I could help but sigh. I had resign I couldn’t break such happiness. Maybe just maybe I was meant to stay single.

With my new resolution I decided not to stare anymore and looked my dancing partner who still seemed to only have eyes for my buddy Nick. So I did what I did best. I told her I needed a break and took that chance to ask Nick to dance with her while I came back. Worked like a charm, “Yo Nick I really have to go to the men’s room. Do me a favor dance with Janet, she really likes this song.” He didn’t decline and instead stood up and took Janet’s hand. “My pleasure,” he smiled at Janet. “Anything for the birthday girl.” He said as he pulled her back to the dance floor.

I had made her night with just that gesture I knew that for sure. Maybe I should open Nicks eyes, Janet is a good girl for him. She’s real not just some girl trying to use him for fame. He made a mental note to speak to him later… at least he could play cupid with his friends. It was apparent real cupids didn’t exist maybe it was just a stupid tradition after all. It was mythology…

I laughed at myself for even thinking that there really was a cupid out there with a bow and arrow finding everyone’s soul mate. “If there was I wouldn’t be single.” I told myself as I walked into the men’s room.

I guess its easier said than done about trying to date someone who looks so happy with someone else. To think that god had anything to do with my attraction to Jade. What a moron was I? I really was bullshitting when that thought crossed my mind. Maybe I should continue to not believe in what we cannot see.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope I am still keeping your interest in this story... its about to get good I promise.