- Text Size +
~ Chapter 18 ~



For the next few days, Kimberly hardly even went to her apartment. She had been staying with Nick at Ray’s with Ashley. Those two had become pretty close, it was sad that she lived so far away. He was a bit distraught that she was going to be leaving to go back to California. They both were falling for each other and hard, it made Kimberly sad because he made her laugh a lot. Ashley never been with anyone seriously before not since her heart got broke a few years back.

“Do you really need to go back so soon?” Kimberly asked Ashley in the kitchen of Ray’s house. They had another get together….it seemed they barely left the house anymore. Why should they? They all had everything they needed; Kimberly got to spend as much time as she wanted with Nick, they could cuddle kiss without all eyes on them. Ashley and Ray had started to really become more than just cuddle friends. Nick and Kimberly actually walked in on them making out – Kimberly was so happy for her best friend, it was a great relief to see her so happy with a man.

“You know I do,” she replied, as she took a sip of her iced coffee. It was early; Kimberly had woken up around eight in the morning, which was not at all normal for her. She found Ashley in the kitchen; she had woken up half an hour earlier.

“Can’t you stay a little bit longer? It’s been so great having you here…Ray’s going to be crushed when you have to leave, you know?”

She chuckled, “I doubt he’ll be crushed.” She then smiled, “But it’s defiantly been fun. I like him – and boy can he kiss!”

Kimberly laughed, “I’ll take your word for it.”

“So has Nick talked to the other guys yet?”

She shook her head, “Nope. Whenever I bring it up he does everything to avoid the subject. I just hate feeling I’m the reason that their friendship might be over, you know?”

“Come on, Kim. You know that’s not it. He even told you they’ve been having problems long before you even came along. So don’t go beating yourself up over nothing.”

She nodded, “I’m trying. It’s hard, I just want him happy.”

“And he’s happy being with you, Kim.” Ashley stared at her with hard eyes, “You really need to stop this. He’s in love with you, he’s happy being with you.”

She sighed, “I know, I know. You’re right. Sometimes I tend to act stupid.”

Ashley snickered, “Sometimes?”

“Oh, shut up.”

“Hello beautiful ladies!”

Ashley smirked when she saw Ray walk into the kitchen, “Hi. Nick’s not with you?”

“Nope,” he answered, as he walked towards the refrigerator, “Must still be passed out.” He then glanced at Kimberly, “Wear the poor kid out again?”

She laughed, “Oh shush! You two act like we have sex everyday or something!”

“Don’t you?” Questioned Ashley, with an amused smirk.

“No!”

“Lies!” Disagreed Ray, “I heard the screams.”

Kimberly could feel her face turning a bright red, “I don’t scream.”

Ashley let out a roar of laughter, “Oh that’s so bullshit and you know it!!!! I remember two nights ago I heard you two going at it like animals. Nick, oh – oh right there….don’t stop,” she mimicked Kimberly’s voice.

Ray started to laugh uncontrollably, “Right on, baby girl!”

Seconds later Nick walked in the kitchen, “What am I missing?” He asked, with a yawn, “What’s so funny?”

“I think your girlfriend’s gonna kill me,” laughed Ashley.

“Now why’s that?”

Kimberly walked over towards Nick and wrapped her arms around his waist and nuzzled her face into his bare chest, “They’re being mean to me!”

He laughed and cradled her in his arms, “Well, that’s not nice.”

Ashley laughed, “We’re picking on her because she doesn’t think she screams during sex when clearly she does – I hear her!”

Nick laughed and then looked down at his girlfriend, “Well, Baby Angel, you do get loud.”

She looked at him appalled, “I do not!” She pushed him away, “You’re supposed to be defending me.”

He laughed again and grabbed her, pulling her into him, “No shame in that. Just means I’m doing my job right.”

“Anyway,” said Ray, trying to change the subject. “I’m starving. Anyone wanna go out for breakfast?”

“Ooh.” Kimberly’s head perked up, “I could so go for some eggs over easy.” She then looked up at Nick, “Wanna go?”

He laughed once he saw the excited look in her eyes, “Well, how can I say no?” He then looked back at his friends, “Yeah sure, we’re in.”

“Great!” Squealed Ashley, “Let’s go get ready.”

Kimberly laughed at her friend’s excitement, “Okay.” She pulled away from Nick and went with Ashley to get dressed.

Ray laughed at the two, “Who would have thought someone would be so happy to get breakfast?”

Nick shrugged, he then looked at his friend, “So what’s going on with you and Ash? You two an item or what?”

“I don’t know.” He then sat down on the chair at the table, “I like her a lot, but it’s gonna be kind of hard if he lives all the way across the country, you know?”

Nick sat down next to him, “I’ve had to do that a lot and I’m not gonna lie, it’s not easy, but if you really want it to work it’s possible.”

“I don’t think she wants that kind of commitment.”

“You do know I have a place in Cali, right? If you wanted to crash there to be closer to her, you know it’s totally cool, right?”

Ray laughed, “Thanks, Nick, but I’ve only known her for like a week, not even. I don’t think she’d be all for that.”

He sighed and stood up, “Well, I don’t know what to tell ya, man. Well, I’m gonna get changed.” Nick then left and headed towards the bedroom he and Kimberly had been staying in.

Ray let out a sigh, he liked Ashley a lot, but he knew that considering taking up Nick’s offer was a bit extreme. Leave it to him to like a girl that lived a thousand miles away.


Breakfast went well; they went to Denny’s – only a few girls went up to them and asked for his autograph. Some asked him how he was feeling and if the boys were going to reschedule their tour. He didn’t know how to tell them that the band split and he knew he couldn’t, so he kindly looked at the lovely fans and smiled saying, “We’re talking about it.” He had to lie and he knew when they found out the band was no longer together it was going to break their hearts. Kimberly looked at him disapproving, hated knowing she was the reason that their hearts were going to be torn once they found out the horrible truth. Nick saw the distress in her face and put his hand on her knee, gently rubbing it with his knuckles already knowing how she was feeling. Once she walked away Nick looked at her for a long time, “What’s wrong?” He finally asked.

She sighed, “They’re gonna be so crushed when they find out there is gonna be no rescheduling and worse….no more Backstreet Boys,” her voice broke.

Ashley looked at her and chewed on her bottom lip and just dropped her head. She wanted to say something, but she knew it wasn’t her place and sure she knew how Kimberly was feeling and she wished she could do something for her friend. But how much longer was she going to pull this? How much longer was she going to blame herself for the band breaking up?

“Baby Angel, come on don’t do this,” he pleaded. “You know it’s not your fault, it never has been. I wasn’t happy being with them – so just stop.”

She sighed and nodded, “Okay, I’m sorry. I'll stop.”

He wasn’t convinced, but he wrapped his arm around her and kissed her on the temple, “I love you.”

“Love you too,” she mumbled, before taking her fork and putting it in her eggs over easy that were covered in ketchup.

He sighed and let her go and took a sip of his drink, wishing he could make her see the truth. Why did she think she was to blame? Why couldn’t she believe him?



After breakfast finished, they decided to go to the beach. They quickly went back to Ray’s to change into their swim suits. Kimberly was afraid to go, only because she’d be really in public with him, but she couldn’t hide from the public eye forever. He was her boyfriend, she was just afraid of all the hate she was going to get when the fans found out the truth – all fingers would point to her for the break up, not that she blamed anyone for pin pointing her. She blamed herself every day; at times all she could think about was how she ruined his career.

Once they got there, the panic began to lessen, for there weren’t a ton of people and she could take a breather. It was hot and humid out, she felt the warm breeze against her skin, she hadn’t gone to the beach in forever. The smell of the ocean filled her nostrils, she felt herself smiling, she looked over at Nick whom was staring at her, grinning.

“God, I can’t wait to go in the water!!!” Exclaimed Ashley, as she stared into the crystal blue water. The sun was reflecting off of it, causing it to almost sparkle; the ocean truly was the most beautiful place on Earth.

Kimberly grabbed the long beach towel that was in her arms and laid it out onto the white sand, “I’ll meet up with you,” she promised.

Ashley shrugged and pulled down her shorts, revealing a black cute swim suit, that had a black skirt attached to it. The top was low cut and showed off her womanly curves, “Okay.” She then looked at Ray whom was staring at her with lust in his eyes “You wanna come with me, so I don’t have to go alone?”

He smirked, “Yeah, sure!” Ray quickly took off his shirt and went with her into the water, smiling the whole time.

Kimberly laughed, “Wow, he likes her, huh?” She asked, looking at Nick as she unbuttoned her jean shorts.

“I’d say so.” He then glanced at her and grinned, as she stepped out of the jeans so her purple two piece swim suit was showing. She then laid down on the towel so her back was facing up. Nick smirked and took off his white T-Shirt so that he was in his blue swim shorts and he knelt down next to her. He brushed her long hair aside and pulled the string of the top of her swim suit, until it opened.

Kimberly turned her head and grinned, “What are you doing, Mister?”

“Lotioning up your back,” he replied, with a devious grin.

She laughed, “Mmmhmm, I’m sure.” She then rested her head back down and then felt a cool thick substance hit her skin causing her to jumped.

He laughed, “Didn’t believe me?”

She looked at him with a hook like smile around her lips. He leaned down and pressed his lips onto hers, before rubbing the lotion into her skin with both of his hands. She groaned as she felt his hands around her shoulders, gently massaging her and his hands then slipped down to her lower back. She loved how he would touch her, even if it wasn’t in any sexual way – it still sent shock waves through her. “I love the way you touch me,” she whispered.

He smiled, “Oh yeah?” His hands then went to her sides and lubed them, causing her to giggle. He loved how highly ticklish she was, when he barely touched her she jumped out of her skin, he thought it was hilarious. But he didn’t want to tickle her at that moment, so he grabbed her hips and flipped her around so that she was on her back. Kimberly held her top in place so it didn’t slip off. Nick hovered over her and grinned, “Looks like I got you.”

She giggled, “Baby, you’ve always had me.”

He smiled and lowered his face to hers, “You’ve had me at hello.”

She laughed, “Okay, Jerry Maguire.”

He laughed, “What?”

“That is totally a quote from that movie.”

She inhaled deeply as she felt his lubed up hands against her stomach and moved upwards. She felt her heart pounding in her chest, not from his touch, but the fact that they were in public. Were pictures going to be displayed everywhere of them? Suddenly she felt his lips against hers, and his tongue slipping inside her mouth. She no longer thought about what others would think if this was displayed all over magazines. Nick laced his fingers with hers and their kiss deepened as she arched her back, wanting a lot more than a kiss. That was the only thing she didn’t like about Nick kissing her, it made her want more…made her want him more.

He grinned over her lips, knowing she wanted to just rip off his shorts and feel him inside her. Hell, he wanted that, but knowing how bad she wanted it made him feel somewhat in control…somewhat. Although, even if he wanted to, he knew he wouldn’t be able to take her, not with so many people around. It was tempting to just take her to one of those bathrooms and pin her against the wall – like he did with her at Disney World.


“I swear those two have no shame,” said Ashley, once she saw the couple making out and not giving a care in the world who saw.

Ray laughed, “Nope. Nick never has.” He then looked at Ashley, “Do you?”

She shrugged, “More than her, apparently.”

He turned to her, and pulled her close to him. They were in the water up to their shoulders, “Can I be honest with you?”

“Yeah. What’s up?”

“I’m gonna miss you.”

She smiled warmly at him, “I’m gonna miss you too. This has been really fun, I’m glad I came.”

“Yeah, me too.” Ray slowly leaned in and kissed her, he felt her arms wrap around his neck as he snaked his tongue into her mouth. “I really wish you didn’t have to leave tomorrow,” he said, once they pulled away.

“I know…I wish I didn’t either…” she paused, “But unfortunately I have to. I just wish Kim would come with me.”

“She wants to be where Nick is.”

“I know, but she won’t move in with him. She has this obsession of being independent of herself.”

“Can’t blame her – she loves the guy.”

Ashley nodded, “Yeah, and she was a complete wreck when they weren’t together. I’m happy for her – she needs him.”

“I need you,” he said above a whisper.

She looked at him surprised, “What?”

He shook his head, “Noth-nothing.”

“No tell me,” she urged.

“I was…I was just thinking I like you a lot…and I was wondering would you want to make your last day here kind of…I dunno special?”

She laughed, “Special? You wanna hook up, is that what you’re saying?”

“Uhh…I guess it came off wrong – sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, I knew what you meant…and let me think about it,” she said with a smirk.

“Hey you!”

Ashley looked over and saw Kimberly swimming next to her, “Hey!”

“Where’s Nick?” Wondered Ray.

Kimberly then screamed and they both looked at her alarmed, Nick swam up from under her and grabbed her from behind, lifting her in his arms. “Scare ya?”

“Oh My God, you jerk!!!”

Ray laughed, “That was great.”

“Nah, this is great.” Kimberly looked at him with suspicious eyes and within moments she was thrown into the water.

“Oh, that’s it, Carter!” Kimberly then swam up from behind him and jumped on his back, pulling him under with her.

Ray then eyed Ashley, “Oh no!” She yelled, “Don’t you dare.” She started to swim away from him, but he caught up and pushed her under the water.

“I’m gonna kill you!” She screeched.

Kimberly watched the two and laughed, “I wish she didn’t have to leave,” she pouted.

“I know, babe. Think she’ll give him some before she goes?” He laughed.

She smacked his arm, “Nick!”

“What? I was just asking, I’m just looking out for my boy.”

Kimberly jumped on him, wrapping her legs around his waist, “How about looking out for your girl?”

“What do you mean? I’m looking out for you.”

“I want some ice cream. Want to grab some?”

“Do I get to lick it off of you?” He asked, with a smirk.

She laughed, “Maybe later….but what if I want you to lick something else?”

Nick let out a small grunt before kissing her, “I’d lick you every which way you want, baby.”

“Mmm, good.” She then looked up at the other two, whom were playing in the water, “Hey, guys. Me and Nick are thinking about grabbing some ice cream. Want any?”

“Yeah!” Said Ashley.

“Great, let’s go,” said Kimberly, once she pulled away from Nick and they swam to the shore.

Nick wrapped the towel around Kimberly and she smiled and went on her tippy toes softly kissing him. She then glanced over and saw Ray was handing Ashley a towel, he was a little shy around her and it was cute. What surprised her the most was that Ashley showed an interest in him…and she showed an interest in no one before. Not since that jerk ex-boyfriend of hers cheated on her. Was it possible that Ray might be that guy to change her opinion on guys? Nick sure changed her opinion and if there was hope for her, there was hope for anyone.