- Text Size +
~ Chapter 3 ~




Kimberly reached the food court and found Laura along with her other friends getting ready to leave. Were they actually planning on leaving without her? It wouldn’t surprise her. She couldn’t let them know she had been crying, she quickly pulled out some sunglasses and walked over to them. “Hey, guys,” she waved. She caught Sandy snickering at her, probably because wearing sunglasses at night wasn’t exactly the most attractive thing, but she just brushed it off.

“Where have you been?” Questioned Laura, in a somewhat irritated voice.

“We thought you fell in or something,” laughed Ronny.

Sandy soon giggled, Laura looked at her and couldn’t help, but laugh too, “Seriously though, where were you, Kim?” She demanded, “And why are you wearing those hideous glasses?”

“Sun too bright for you?” Came Sandy’s annoying insulting voice.

Kimberly just shrugged, “My eyes hurt, actually. And I actually got caught talking to someone, he’s very nice. His name’s Mike.”

“Ooh!” Squealed Laura, “So you met a boy? Did you get his number?”

She laughed, “Not like that. He works for a certain band….and gave me something to meet them.”

Her brown eyes lit up, “Are you serious, Kim?!? How the hell did you manage to pull that off?”

“What band?” Questioned Sandy, whom seemed a tad jealous.

“The Back – ”

“Just some stupid band,” interrupted Laura. “I mean, I’m not even a fan, but my little cousin is and I promised I’d get their autograph for her.”

Of course Laura would lie. She was embarrassed, but why? It’s not like they had bad music or anything. Or maybe it was just because she didn’t want to look bad in front of the oh so amazing Ronny. She rolled her eyes, and thankfully since she was wearing sunglasses no one could see.

“What band?”

“The backstreet boys.”

He laughed, “Are you serious, Laura? You’re not actually going to meet them, are you?”

She shrugged, “I promised my little cousin. I don’t want to break her heart, you know?”

Sandy smiled, “You’re such a doll, Laura. No wonder why everyone loves you.” She embraced her friend, “I’m sort of jealous now.”

“Oh brother,” mumbled Kimberly under her breath. She cleared her throat, “Anyway, they’re gonna get going soon, so we should go before they leave.”

“And you,” said Ronny, staring at her. “You’re an actual fan? You’re not going to get their autograph for someone else, are you?” It was more of a statement than a question.

She wasn’t embarrassed, so what? She was a fan of a boy band. She wasn’t going to lie, “I am a fan.” She then shot Laura a hard look, although she couldn’t see the angry stare through her dark shades, “Well, I’m going, you can join me if you like.” She then walked off, feeling aggravated, she should have not even said anything. Great, so now those losers thought even less of her now. But why did he care? Why did she care that she knew they were probably making of her this very moment?

Laura ran to catch up to her, “Hey, Kim!” She shouted, “Wait up.”

She stopped, “Oh so you decided to join me?”

“Yeah, I’m gonna meet them at Hot Topic afterwards. So how did you meet this Mike guy?”

“He’s their bodyguard. I had a headache, so he asked me what was wrong and I told him it was nothing and we got talking and he’s pretty chill. I like him….not like that,” she quickly added once she saw the flicker in her roommate’s eyes. “He looks a little too old for me.”

“Who cares?!? He has a Backstreet connection!”

She shook her head, “Sorry, Laura I can’t play like that. I won’t date someone because of who they know or what they are.” She then stared at her, “Why did you lie? You are a fan.”

She shrugged, “Well it is kind of embarrassing, don’t you think?”

“No, I don’t think so.” They then met up with Mike whom was standing by the music store, she smiled at him, “Hey, Mike. This is my friend, Laura.”

He smiled widely at Kimberly, “Hey, Kim! Glad you made it back.” Laura lightly elbowed her and giggled. She rolled her eyes in annoyance, “Hi, Laura. You’re lucky Kim is such a good friend. I invited her to go in and she said she had to grab you first. Not many people would do that.”

Her brown eyes expanded, “You did?!?” She embraced her tightly, “Thanks!”

“Yeah, no problem.” Although she knew if it were the other way, Laura would without a doubt ditch her. She’d be like Kim who?

“Okay, well you two can go right in.”

Kimberly smile again, “Thanks again for doing this for me.”

He smiled and shrugged, “No problem. Now hurry, it’s almost time for them to leave.”

There weren’t that many girls, maybe about five left. They both grabbed the photo that a woman was handing out. She was a young girl, dark long hair. She looked in her mid twenties. Her name tag said Jenn. Kimberly felt something stabbing her, and pulled out the keys that were in her pocket. She had forgotten that Laura gave them to her once they got out of the car, Laura didn’t even bring her purse, only her credit card.

“You know you can take those things off now,” said Laura, referring to her glasses.

She shrugged, “I don’t mind wearing them.”

“They look ugly,” she admitted. “Sometimes I even wonder if you care how you look when you go out.” The words came out harsher than necessary; Kimberly tried to shake it off. Did she always mean to sound like such a bitch?

“They don’t look that bad.”

“Uh, yeah they really do, Kim. Do you know how embarrassed I get when you dress like that when you’re around my friends?”

“I thought you said I looked cute today?”

She shrugged, “So I lied…so I didn’t hurt your feelings. But seriously, Kim I gotta help you with your clothes or something.”

Laura was talking louder than needed and a few of the guys’ heads popped up, even the blonde one. His eyes grew tight as he stared at the dark haired girl and Kimberly quickly looked away, feeling flushed. Soon they were the next ones up….and the last ones.

“Hey!” Smiled Laura widely. They all said their hello’s and took the photo and began to sign their names. She wasn’t going to just walk away with a signed photo, “So how long are you guys gonna be in Florida for?”

“A few weeks,” answered A.J. with a bright smile. “Do you live close by?”

Was he really hitting on her? Well of course, why wouldn’t he? She was a Goddess, how could Kimberly forget? She watched as Laura flirted back, “Not too far,” she replied, with a grin. “Maybe we could hang out sometime?”

His smile was much wider now, “That would be fun.”

Suddenly he was hit by an elbow and he glared at the person next to him and saw Kevin giving him a hard look. He then looked up at Laura and smiled, “We’re actually really busy until we go to Canada.”

“You’re quiet,” said a sweet voice.

Kimberly’s head shot up and saw that Nick was talking to her….Nick Carter was actually acknowledging her presents even though Laura was there. Was that even possible? She gave him a shy smile, “Sorry,” her voice came out almost a whisper.

He smirked, “By the way, I like the glasses look. Can I try them on?”

A laugh escaped her and that caused him to smile, “Uh…they’re kind of girlie.” She was wearing small black Prada sunglasses that her friend Keenan had given her before she moved to Florida.

Laura raised her eyebrow, “You can’t be serious. Those things are hideous!”

A.J. nodded, “I think I have to agree.”

Nick shot him a hard look, “I actually like them,” he said, looking back up at her.

She laughed, “My eyes just hurt from the light and stuff.”

“Just take off the damn glasses, Kim,” ordered Laura in an irritated tone.

Nick’s blue eyes darted towards to Laura, then back at Kimberly, “Nah, it’s cool, you can keep them on if your eyes hurt.”

She could feel everyone’s eyes on her and she hated feeling like that. She just didn’t want them to see her pink eyes. It was bad enough that he saw her crying earlier, he must have known she was. She let out a sigh, “Okay, you win.” She put the keys down on the table and took off the glasses and handed them over to Nick, “Here”

“Now was that so hard?” Questioned Laura.

Nick’s eyes then moved towards her roommate again. He then threw on the glasses and Kimberly couldn’t help herself as a snicker escaped her mouth, “They totally fit you.”

“What doesn’t fit him?” Smirked Laura, “Anything looks good on him…and everything.”

He looked up at her and gave out a nervous laugh, “Uh, yeah thanks.” He then took off the glasses and handed them back to her, “How do you see through those things?”

Kimberly shrugged, “Good eye sight?”

“So it’s really awesome meeting you guys,” said Laura, with a wide smile. “I’ve been a fan for soooo long.”

“Oh yeah?” Said Brian, “That’s great. We love hearing that kind of thing.”

Laura pulled Kimberly close, “Next time let me dress you before you leave.”

Her green eyes grew wide, “I like what I’m wearing,” she said, in between her teeth. “It’s my style.”

Of course Laura wasn’t exactly quiet so all the guys looked down to see the hole in her jeans. A chuckle escaped A.J., “Sweetie, if you ever want to be rocking with style just give me a call.”

It really bothered her that everyone made comments on her clothes, so what some people didn’t like how she dressed, but she did! “No, thanks. I like my own style, but thanks anyway.”

He shrugged, “Your loss.”

Laura laughed, “My friend Ronny said the exact same thing.”

Kimberly just shook her head, she was glad she got to meet the guys, but all she wanted to do was get out of there. She probably shouldn’t have even gotten Laura. She could feel her eyes stinging again. She caught Nick staring at her, and that made her feel even more uncomfortable.

“I like it,” he said to her surprise.

“Like what?” She asked.

“Your style. It’s normal,” he said, with a laugh. “It’s kind of annoying when I see all these girls wearing really expensive clothes and honestly they don’t even look good on them. Jeans and a nice shirt is what I like. You aren’t going out pretending to be something you’re not, real is where it’s at, baby.”

Kimberly could feel her face flushing at his comments. Wow, she wasn’t expecting him to be nice to her at all…especially since Laura was there. She glanced over and saw that Laura was annoyed…annoyed because Nick Carter was paying more attention towards her roommate and not her. That wasn’t how it was supposed to be. Nick was supposed to see her and fall instantly, not chitter chat with Kimberly.

“Um, thanks?” She said, as a smile broke out across her face.

He grinned, “My pleasure.” His eyes expanded a bit, “Damn, girl. You have green eyes!”

She laughed again, “Yeah, I do.”

Jealousy was in Laura’s eyes, “Mine are just plain brown,” she pouted.

He looked up at her and smiled, “Brown eyes are sexy though.”

She smirked and leaned forward to him, “I think you’re sexy,” she whispered in a seductive voice.

His blue eyes expanded, “Uh…wow….um, thanks?” His tone was uneasy.

She was pleased with herself and stood up straight, Kimberly knew it would be only a matter of time before Laura threw it on him how much she wanted him. It just shocked her to know he wasn’t flirting back, no matter how strong she came onto him; he almost seemed to be brushing her off.

A.J. snickered, “Nick isn’t used to a woman being so forward.”

She laughed, “It’s okay, teaching makes it more fun.”

Kimberly’s face grew in stun, “Wow.”

“Yeah, you said it,” muttered Howie. He shook his head disapprovingly, “So did you girls have to wait long?”

“No, actually,” admitted Laura. “Kim made a friend,” she said, smiling in her direction. “Some guy named Mike, right? I bet they’re gonna hook up.”

“What?!?” Gasped Kimberly, “No! He was just being nice.”

“Mike?” Questioned Kevin, “As in Mike Self?”

“Hmmm…who had a word with him earlier?” Asked Brian, with a sarcastic ring to it. Within moments everyone glanced over at Nick’s direction and he just shrugged.

“I’m confused,” confessed Kimberly. “What?”

Kevin shook his head, “Nothing.” He then smiled kindly to the girls, although it was clearly a fake smile. Kimberly suddenly got a bad feeling in her gut and she didn’t like that…not at all.

“Well ladies,” said the same security guard that wouldn’t allow them inside earlier. “It’s time for the boys to leave.”

“Aw, already?” Pouted Laura.

“Yeah, sorry,” said Brian, as he and the others stood up, “But we’ll be back again,” he added, with a wide smile.

“Okay,” said Kimberly, moving away from the table so the guys could get by. “It was really great meeting you.”

“Have you been a fan for a while?” Asked Nick, looking at her.

She nodded, “Yeah…your music has helped me through a lot. I love all music, I call it my healer,” she said, with a laugh.

“You like music a lot?”

“I do.”

He smiled, “Yeah, music really comes in handy when you’re not feeling good. It’s like that pat on the back.”

“I couldn’t agree more.”

“I love music too!” Chimed in Laura, “Music is totally awesome. Without it….you guys wouldn’t be here.”

He laughed, “Yeah, that’s true. See you girls around.”

Kimberly laughed, “I wouldn’t count on it.”

“No? Why not?” He wondered.

“Well Kevin did say you were pretty busy.”

He let out a sigh, “Yeah, Kevin.” He then glanced over in his direction and saw that his eyes were tight. He slightly shook his head in aggravation then back to the two lovely girls, “Who knows?”

“Well, if you are free,” said Laura, pushing Kimberly aside. “We should really hang out. What do you say?”

“Uh…”

“Nick, what’s the hold up?!?” Growled Kevin, “Come on.”

He looked at her and shrugged, “I gotta go.” He then looked back at Kimberly, “See ya,” he said, with a smile. He then left with the other four guys, glancing back once more and grinning.

Laura put her hands over her heart, “Oh My God! Did you see that? Did you?!? I think I’m in love.”

Kimberly laughed, “In love?”

“Yes! Come on, the way he was smiling at me, how he was looking at me. I bet he wants me more than I want him….if that’s even possible.”

She tried to refrain from rolling her eyes at her idiotic roommate, “Well, aren’t your other friends waiting?”

“Oh shit, I almost forgot about them! Hang on, I gotta pee real quick,” she said, jetting into the bathroom.

Kimberly shook her head and sighed. She was leaning against the wall a few feet away from the girls’ restrooms. She dropped her head, feeling her eyes stinging. She hated how Laura made her feel, she probably should have listened to Mike and just went in…Laura defiantly didn’t deserve to meet them. Now Nick Carter was probably head over heels for the girl. She smiled a bit, as she recalled him talking to her, that alone made her happy. At least he didn’t pretend that she didn’t exist like most would do….like Laura usually did. It bothered her as she thought how she was trying to embarrass her in front of the guys. She then heard a group of people in front of her, she ignored them. She didn’t want anyone seeing her in this state…she probably looked bad. For she could feel her eyes swelling.

“Wait a second,” she heard a familiar voice. She looked up and saw Nick Carter standing nearly in front of her. He was with the other guys, along with a few big guys…Mike being one of them.

“We don’t have time for this,” groaned A.J..

“I’ll be a second!” He said, with annoyance in his voice.

“I’ll walk you guys to the bus,” said Mike. He looked at Kimberly and smiled once then edged the other guys to move.

Nick then looked up at her again and smiled, “Hey.”

Okay, she was alone, Laura was in the bathroom. Why on Earth was he talking to her? “Um…hi?”

“I think you forgot these,” he said, holding out some keys.

Her green eyes grew wide, “Oh My God!” She took the keys from him, “I would have been in serious trouble…thank you. Walking home would have sucked,” she said, with a little laugh.

“Do you live far?”

She shrugged, “It’s a good walking distance.”

“So….are you okay now?”

She knew exactly what he was referring to and she dropped her head and nodded, “Yeah…I’m okay.”

Her words weren’t that convincing, “Well, good.” She then looked up at him and could feel her heart rate pick up rather quickly, “I think you should smile more.”

She raised her eyebrow, “Oh, I should?” She laughed, “Why’s that?”

He traced her jaw line with his thumb, “Because you’re a lot prettier when you do.”

She felt her stomach do a flip and she couldn’t help, but smile, “Thanks…”

He then smiled wide, “See, what did I tell ya?”

She could feel herself flushing at his words and dropped her head again and he laughed. Suddenly they heard, “Oh My God!” They both looked up and saw Laura. She ran over to them, “Nick…you’re, you’re here. I thought you had to leave?!?”

“She forgot her keys, so I gave them back to her.”

Kimberly nodded, “Yeah, that would have sucked.”

Laura grabbed onto his wrist, “Can, I talk to you for a second?”

“Uh….sure.” First thing Laura did was embrace him in a tight hug and Kimberly turned her head away. She already knew he was going to get sucked in, he would want to go out with her after they finished doing God knows what.

“Wow, you smell good.”

“Um, thanks. Listen, I really gotta go. The guys are waiting for me. I’ll-I’ll see you later, okay?”

She took his hand with both of hers and put something inside his palm, closing it, “Okay, baby. I’ll see you real soon…call me. I’ll be waiting.” She then walked away over towards Kimberly, “Come on, Kim. Ronny and Sandy are waiting for us.”

Kimberly glanced back at Nick and he had a stunned expression upon his face. He gave a small wave, but she already knew that was to Laura, not her.

Nick opened up his hand and saw it was Laura’s number on a scrape piece of paper. He wrinkled it up before tossing it into the trash.


“Hey, guys,” said Laura, as she greeted her two friends. “Sorry it took so long.”

“Was there a lot of people?” Asked Sandy.

“Nah, not really.” She then laughed, “It was hilarious though. That Carter kid was all over me. Wasn’t he, Kim? So out of pity I gave him my number.” Out of pity? That wasn’t at all what she saw. Why was she lying? Yeah, sure Nick probably would call her, but out of pity? That was a little much, “Wasn’t he, Kim?” She said in a harder tone.

“Uh…yeah.” She shook her head in disbelief, “I couldn’t believe it.”

“You gave him your number?” Said Ronny, as jealousy flared in his voice.

Laura smiled at him, loving how angry he got that she gave another man her number, “I figured it was the least I could do. So when is this party of yours?”

“As soon as we leave, we can get there.”

“But I need to get ready. Look what I’m wearing.”

He grinned, “Yes, I’m looking and I love it. Come on, baby. Wear that, it’s hot.”

She smiled, “Okay, I’ll wear this.” She then looked at Kimberly, “So are you coming or what?”

“Uh…I don’t think she’s actually invited,” said Sandy, as her eyes darted towards her like she was a piece of dog shit found on the floor.

“That’s fine, I have other things to do anyway.” She tried her hardest to hide the hurt in her voice. No, she wasn’t going to go anyway, but just knowing how unwanted she truly was…that burned. “I’ll see you back at the apartment later, Laura. Okay?”

She nodded, “Okay, bye.” Laura and her two friends then left for the other direction.

Kimberly put the glasses back on and headed towards the car, feeling the liquid running down her cheeks. She took off the glasses once she sat inside the driver’s seat and shut the door. She pressed her forehead against the steering wheel, and allowed the tears to escape her eyes. She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes and put the key in the ignition and headed out of the large parking lot, which was pretty empty it seemed, except for a few cars. She noticed one car pulled out when she did; it was a nice black Eclipse. She didn’t even take notice that it had followed her into the gas station. She sighed as she pumped her car, all she wanted to do was go home and sleep. Yes, it was still rather early, but she didn’t want to do anything. Her stomach was harshly demanding her to put food in it, but she was far too depressed to eat. She paid for the gas and headed back to her apartment.

As she drove close by to her street she looked into her review mirror and could see the same car was behind her. Fear began to rush through her, was someone following her home?