- Text Size +
~ Chapter 33 ~


***A Week Later***



The very next day when Kimberly returned back to California, she walked into her work and asked if she could start again. From the way it looked, you could see she was still mourning over her loved one that had died…at least that was how it appeared. To her, someone she loved did die. Nick died…he died as soon as he slept with Laura. Getting over his death was probably the hardest thing she ever had to do. Knowing she couldn’t call him, tell him that she loved him just it killed her. How could he do such a terrible thing? She had nightmares constantly about the two. Ashley tried so hard to help her, but Kimberly just kept on pushing her away. She felt so helpless, she wished there was some way to help her friend.



“Kim,” said Rebecca Sanders, whom was her manager. “Maybe you should take this time to grieve for the loss of your loved one.”

It was her first day back and she knew she had to work or she'd want to do nothing but cry. She was sick of crying! Kimberly shook her head, “I can’t, Becky,” she softly said. “I can’t just sit at home all day, it’s killing me. I need to do work…please? If you want to help me, you’ll let me stay.”

As much as she protested the idea she sighed, “Okay, fine. Clock in and I'll give your some paper work. We're trying to get in touch with Mr. and Mrs. Blackstone. Their account has been negative for almost two weeks now.”

Kimberly weakly smiled, “Thank you.”


Ashley watched as Kimberly worked double shifts at the bank. She was working herself to death and it worried her. She knew what Nick did was inexcusable, but drowning herself in her job was not the key to make the bad feelings go away. Ray would often text her, they were trying to set a date to meet up again. He told her that Nick is going to let him stay at his house in Malibu for a few weeks. Ashley was ecstatic about that…that was when he brought up Nick and how he had been doing. About how bad he had been since Kimberly left for the second time. It was too long to text so she picked up the phone and called him.

“Look Ray, I know you Nick is your friend and all, but what he did to Kim is unforgivable. I hope that guy feels like his heart is being torn out.”

He sighed, “Ash…please. He was drunk, he made a mistake. I mean, she was the one to tell him to get on with his life. He was just drinking his life away and that whore saw the state he was in and took advantage. She knew Nick wouldn’t remember anything.”

She let out a loud frustrated sigh, “Are you really trying to tell me to forgive him? Because I can’t.”

“I know, baby girl.” His phone then beeped, “Listen, I gotta get going. Nick’s calling. I’ll call you later and we’ll talk more.”

“Okay,” she simply said and hung up the phone.

She ran her hands through her hair, “Who was on the phone?” Asked Kimberly walking into the kitchen, throwing her purse on the table.

Ashley looked at her and half smiled, “Bad day?” She asked, once she saw her sit down at the table and rub her temples.

She nodded, “Like you wouldn’t even know! This jerk of a guy tried conning me into giving him a loan. What does he think I am stupid?” She let out a short laugh and shook her head. She then looked at Ashley, “So how was your day? Do anything exciting?”

Ashley just shrugged, “Not really. Had today off and Ray told me there’s a place he can stay at so he can visit for a little bit.”

She weakly smiled, “That’ll be nice. I know it must be hard dealing with this long distance thing.”

She nodded, “It really is. I mean, I really didn’t think I would like him this much, ya know?”

Kimberly warmly smiled, “I know…sometimes love will do that to ya.”

Ashley snickered, “I don’t think its love yet. Anyway, have any plans later?”

She just shrugged, “Not really.”

That sparked Ashley’s interest, “How about we go out tonight?” She grinned, “It’ll be so much fun! We haven’t gone out in ages.”

Kimberly scrunched up her face, “Mmm, I would, but I have to work early in the morning tomorrow. I told Meg I would cover her shift so she can go out with her boyfriend. Why don’t you go out and have fun?”

Ashley looked at her in outrage, “Another double?!? Girl, you’ve been working yourself to the bone. You gotta give yourself time to breathe.”

She shrugged, “I like to work…”

“No, you like to keep yourself busy so you don’t have to think about him.” Ashley learned not to mention Nick’s name after her small breakdown in their apartment. When Ashley simply mentioned his name it looked as though someone had poured salt over her bleeding wounds. The smallest things that reminded her of him sent Kimberly into such a deep depression. It made her more than concerned for her best friend.

She looked at Ashley with pained eyes, “Look, he has nothing to do with this.” She then stood up from the table and walked over to the refrigerator, “I just…I just wanna make something out of myself, that’s all.” She would not allow herself to cry, he was not worth her tears. Not after what he had done to her…she was strong…she could get over him. “I mean, this bank is giving me a shot here. They know I never finished high school and they’re willing to help me get my GED and then I can become a manager, not just a teller.” She glanced over at Ashley, hoping the tears didn’t pour from her eyes, “I can finally make something of myself.”

Ashley stood up and walked over towards her and embraced her, “Well, I’m here to support you. You know I love you, girl.”

Kimberly smiled and wiped the threatening tears from her eyes, “I know.” She then cleared her throat, “But you go out and have fun! Don’t let me hold you back, okay?”

Ashley studied her for a few seconds and finally said, “Fine.” She grabbed her phone and texted Ray and told her she would be out at a club for a while.


Kimberly laid down in her bed and flicked on the TV. She let out a loud sigh and glanced at her cell-phone. She hated how tempting it was to just call Nick and see how he was doing. From what she had heard he was terrible and as much as it should make her feel good, considering what he had done, it made her feel worse. She didn’t want him terrible, she remembered last time he was in bad shape and what it nearly did to him. Could she deal with the guilt knowing he killed himself by getting into a car accident because he was under the influence or he had alcohol poisoning so badly the doctors couldn’t save him? She thought about that day in and day out…but she also couldn’t get images out of her mind of him and Laura. She closed her eyes tightly and did everything to hold back the tears. She hated how much she missed him. She truly was in Hell.


Ashley went out to a small club in down town Hollywood. She called a few of her friends to join her, she tried to have a good time, but all she could think about was Kimberly. She was worried sick about her. Would her depression flare up again like last time? She was happy she wasn’t moping around the apartment like before. However, now she was just working herself to death. She had to work or she’d go crazy, that wasn’t a healthy way to get over a break up. She wished there was something that she could do to help. It killed her to know she could only watch helplessly.

“Hey, Ashley!” Squealed her friend, Sarah as she ran over with excitement. “A guy is asking for you.”

Ashley raised one of her thin dark eyebrows, “What? Who?”

She shrugged, “No idea, but shit girl! He is fucking hot.”

“Oh. My. God!” Cried her other friend, Megan as she rushed over to Ashley’s side. “This guy keeps asking for you…and he’s with…he’s with Nick fucking Carter!!!!”

Suddenly Ashley’s heart went into her throat. Ray? Was he here? But how? That was impossible, she just texted him maybe a little over an hour ago. “Wh-what what his name?” She then felt heat fill up inside of her as she thought of Nick being here. Hadn’t he caused enough damage?

Megan shrugged, “Who cares? Nick is here! Come on, you’re really more interested in his friend? He looked so fucking hot.”

Ashley glared at her blonde friend with sharp eyes, “I don’t give a flying fuck about Nick Carter! The guy could fall off the face of the planet and it wouldn’t faze me.”

Sarah looked at her with her hazel eyes wide open, “Well damn, Ash.” She then laughed, “Don’t care for the guy much, do ya?”

“Nope…not after what he did to Kim.”

Megan’s blue eyes expanded, “That’s the asshole?!? No fucking way. I don’t believe that. She dated Nick Carter?!? Oh My God…and she broke up with him? What’s the matter with her?”

Ashley could feel hatred build up inside of her and she glared at Megan, “You don’t know anything about him other than he’s a fucking Backstreet Boy. You don’t know him like I do, so shut your fucking mouth. And nothing is wrong with Kim, so don’t fucking even go there!”

Sarah looked at Ashley in astonishment, “Damn, girl. Remind me not to piss you off.”

Ashley shook her head, “You guys don’t know what Kim went through.” She cleared her throat, “Anyway, why don’t you show me where his friend is?” She said, with a small smile.

Megan looked at her with her blue eyes that were swelling, “I’m – I’m sorry, Ash. I didn’t mean to sound like a bitch.”

Ashley looked at her and sighed, “I know, Meg. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to jump down your throat. It’s just Kim has been through a lot, ya know? If you wanna hang with Nick that’s cool, I don’t care. I just don’t want to talk to him.”

She half smiled, “Okay, thanks.”

The three of them then walked over to where the man that had been asking for Ashley was. He was sitting at a table all alone. Ashley could feel her heart flutter from his sight. She could not believe that Ray was here in California. But how? It then accrued to her; Nick. He probably dragged poor Ray down here just to use him as bate, so Ashley caved and told him where Kimberly was. Well that was not happening! Nick could beg and plead, there was no way she was going let him see her best friend. He didn’t even realize what he had done was affecting Kimberly so much. Maybe if he saw she was such in a dreadful state he’d finally leave her alone? No…no she wouldn’t allow him to see her. She couldn’t put her through so much pain just to teach Nick a lesson.

Ashley took a deep breath and approached the table. She sat down next to Ray and smiled a wide smile, “Well, this is a pleasant surprise.”

He quickly looked up and his face began to glow, “I was wondering where you were!” He leaned over and embraced her tightly in his arms. He pulled away, but not before he pressed his lips against hers, “I’ve missed you.”

She smiled, “I missed you too. You are one sneaky guy. You were telling me about you coming up here and stay at Nick’s house…I didn’t realize you meant you were here!”

He grinned, “I wanted to surprise you.”

“Well, it worked.” She smiled shyly and then looked away, “So my friends told me they saw Nick here too.”

Ray was silent for a few seconds before nodding, “Yeah, he’s here with me.”

“Why?” She demanded, “I’m no letting him see Kim.”

He sighed, “Come on, Ash. This isn’t our battle to fight. Let them work this out…he wants to.”

“But she doesn’t!” She hissed.

“Did she say that?” Asked a voice from behind her.

Ashley glanced up and saw Nick standing behind her. She stood up and walked over to him so she was only a few inches away from him, “She didn’t need to. I know what’s good for my friend and you certainly are not! Now why don’t you scram and fuck some more pathetic groupies.”

“Ashley!” Growled Ray as he stood up, “Come on, knock it off. Don’t you think that was a little below the belt?”

She glared at Ray, “No, I do not. He fucked Laura, Ray! How the hell can you expect me to forgive him?”

Nick looked at her with his agonized blue eyes, “Please, Ash,” he choked. “I was so drunk; I barely remember anything that happened that night. It kills me to know what I did…I would never do anything with Laura willingly. Even you know that!”

She folded her arms tightly around her chest, “Alcohol is not an excuse, Nick.”

“Don’t you think I know that?!?”

“No, I don’t!”

He could feel his blue eyes sting as he looked at Ashley with pained eyes, “I love her, Ash. I know you don’t believe me, but I do. And I’m willing to do anything to get make this up to her.”

Ashley glared at him and shook her head, “There is nothing that you can do to make up what you have done. I’m sorry, but that’s the truth.” She looked at Ray, “I’m sorry, I know he’s your best friend, but you know where I stand.”

He sighed and nodded, “I know,” he mumbled. He wished so much that he could make Ashley change her mind and allow Nick to fix the mess he made. However, he also knew where she was coming from and she loved Kimberly. She was just watching out for her…he would probably do the same thing if the situation was reversed.

Nick looked at her pained, “Ash, please,” he pleaded. “Just let me talk to her for a minute.” There was no ounce of alcohol in his system, the tears he began to shed were pure. He loved Kimberly more than he could ever love a woman and he felt like nothing could ever bring them back together. Especially if Ashley wouldn’t tell him where she was. He just wanted a few minutes to beg for her forgiveness…he wanted to prove to her how much he loved her and could never consider being with anyone other than her.

She ignored him completely and turned to Ray, “Listen, I’m gonna head back to my place.” She paused, “If you want, you can come with me?” A small smile formed around her lips.

He looked at Nick to make sure it was alright. He couldn’t just leave him behind, he was a wreck. He hated how Ashley was being so stubborn, but still he understood. “Nick, will you be okay if I leave?”

“Of course he will!” Spat Ashley, “There are a ton of girls here. A few of my friends would kill to hook up with him.”

Nick looked at her outraged, “Ashley, you know what? FUCK YOU!” He then stormed away and walked over towards the bar.

She shook her head in disgust, “I knew it was only a matter of moments before he caved and drank himself to death.”

Ray shot her a hard look, “Ashley!” He growled, “I know you hate him for what happened with him and Kim, but for Christ’s sake! He’s my friend and he’s hurting as much as Kim is. So just lay off the guy, will ya?!?” He shook his head, “Maybe I’ll just head home with him instead.”

He went to walk away, but she grabbed onto his arm, “Ray, don’t!” She looked at him with apologetic eyes, “I’m sorry…I just…I just hate what Kim is going through.” She sighed, “Maybe what I said was a little below the belt.”

“A little?”

She groaned, “Okay, okay. Maybe a lot. But I can’t help it. My bitchiness comes out when my friends are hurt. This is the second time she’s been crushed.”

“The first time was her call, not his.”

“I know…but it still doesn’t make it easier to watch.”

“How do you think it makes me feel, Ash? He’s my best friend. I just wish you would reconsider.”

“Please, Ray. Don’t. Now do you want to go back to my place or what?”

He half smiled and nodded, “You know I do.”

She smiled wide and wrapped her arms around him, “Good.” Her lips met with his, “Because I really missed you.”

“I missed you more,” he whispered.

He glanced over at his friend one last time, seeing him sitting down on a stool, drinking some sort of alcoholic drink. All he could do was shake his head…he was going down the same path as before, but sadly there was nothing he could do about it.

“Come on, let’ s go,” Ashley gently ordered, as she pulled his arm.

He looked at her and smiled a fake smile. He was happy that he was going to be able to spend time with her, he just hated leaving Nick alone in that state. Maybe he would get lucky tonight, there were more than enough girls in the club that would love to get with him. Hopefully he wouldn’t be alone.


Nick drank the beer he had ordered. He was so tempted to order a shot, but he promised himself he would not go down that road again. That is what got him in this mess in the first place. He felt his eyes burning as the tears slowly threatened their way out. He felt a hand go on his back; he glanced over and saw a beautiful blonde girl next to him. He rolled his eyes and looked away, and took another sip of his drink. He was not going to leave with some groupie, he wouldn’t allow it. No matter how much the sexual tension killed him, he would hold his ground.

“Are you okay?” Her sweet candy voice hit his ears.

He just nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine,” he murmured before taking another sip.

She sighed, “Damn, I guess Kim really did a number on you, didn’t she?”

That grabbed his attention and he immediately looked at her, “You know Kim?!?” His voice suddenly full with hope.

She got caught off guard by his suddenly interest, but she nodded, “Yeah. She’s one of my friends…” she paused, “Well, she’s more Ashley’s friend than mine, but I work with her.”

His anxious eyes blew up, “You work with her? Do you…do you know when she’s working next?”

She nodded, “Y-yeah. Tomorrow.” Was Ashley going to kill her for giving him all this information? She shook that thought right out of her mind; the poor guy was nearly in tears. If she didn’t do something for him, who would? She loved Ashley and she admired the way she cared for Kimberly, however sometimes she cared too much. Maybe in a way, when she thought she was protecting her, she was actually sheltering her. This was Kimberly and Nick’s problem and it wasn’t Ashley’s place to interfere.

Nick took a deep breath, was this girl only toying with him, or did she actually want to help? “Can you…can you tell me where she works?”

Megan slowly nodded, “Yeah. She works at Bank of America on 85 Linking Street in West Hollywood.”

Nick suddenly embraced her tightly in his arms and Megan could feel herself melting in his embrace, “Thank you,” he whispered.

She smiled and pulled away just enough so that she could look into his blue eyes, “You have nothing to thank me for.” She then looked to the floor before meeting with his eyes again, “I’m not going to lie…I am a huge fan of yours…and not jumping all over you is being really difficult on me,” she said, with a nervous laugh. Nick just smiled, “But seeing the way you were…you looked so sad. I may not be able to have sex with you,” she said, with another laugh. “But at least I can help you out.”

Nick looked at her dumbfounded, “Wow…” He paused, not really knowing what to say, “Thank you,” was all he could think of. “It’s not every day I meet a beautiful girl that rather help me work things out with my girlfriend than get in my pants. But let me tell you this,” he said, as he pushed her blonde hair behind her ear, “If I weren’t so crazy for Kim, I’d be all over you in a heartbeat. Because man, you are fucking hot.”

She laughed and could feel her cheeks burning from his compliment, “Thank you.”

“What’s your name?” He wondered.

“Meg,” she answered.

“Well, how about this, Meg.” He pulled out his phone, “How about a picture?”

She smiled, “I’d like that.”

Nick wrapped an arm tightly around her shoulder and gently pulling her into him. Megan wrapped her arms around him, and pressed her head against his. She smiled so wide, her heart was beating out of control. She couldn’t believe she was this close to Nick Carter. She could have tried to seduce him, and she knew if he didn’t look like someone had struck a dart in his heart she’d be all over that. She smiled widely when she saw the picture. He asked her if she had a twitter and what person in this day and age did not use Twitter? She gave him her username and he sent her a direct message of the picture.

“Thank you so much, Meg. I really can’t thank you enough. But I’m gonna head out.” He gave her a sweet kiss on the cheek, “You’re a good person.” He then stood up and left the club.

Megan sat there, struck in shock. She could not believe what had just happened. She let Nick slip right through her fingers. Although, she knew her boyfriend would be really upset at her if she slept with him.


Ashley walked into the apartment with Ray, they tried as hard as they could to be quiet. Ashley told him that Kimberly was sleeping because she had a long shift the next morning. They then both jumped when they saw her in the kitchen.

“Kim, what…what are you doing up?” She demanded, somewhat startled.

“Getting a drink,” she replied, staring up at Ray in complete astonishment. “H-hi, Ray. What…what are you doing here?”

He cleared his throat, “I wanted to surprise Ashley,” he answered with a grin. “She told me you have a big day tomorrow. I’m surprised you’re up.”

Kimberly shrugged, “I couldn’t really sleep.” She looked to her can of Sprite before looking up at him again, “Is Nick…um is Nick here?”

“No,” answered Ashley. “He came on his own.”

Ray shot her a hard look; she really did not want Kimberly to see him. It was starting to really irk him. Yeah he understood that Ashley didn’t want to see her in pain again, but it was not her place. Ashley’s eyes burned right through his and he knew if he opened his mouth about Nick being in town he would be in the dog house.

“Oh,” she said, sounding almost disappointed. “It’s probably for the best anyway. Well, I’m gonna try to get some sleep. Night guys…and Ray, it was great seeing you again.”

He half smiled, “You too, Kim. Goodnight.” He watched as she left for her bedroom and once he heard the door shut he glared at Ashley, “Why did you say that?!?” He demanded, “She should know he’s here.”

“Shh, keep your voice down,” she ordered. She walked into her bedroom with him following her. She shut the door behind her and sat down on the bed and looked at him with her large chocolate eyes, “I’m doing this for her own good.”

He sighed and sat down next to her, “I know you don’t want her to get hurt, but she has a right to know.” He took her hand and pressed his lips to her knuckles, “I just don’t want you getting hurt in the long run because she finds out.”

She shook her head, “She won’t find out. Anyway, let’s stop talking about Nick and Kim. Let’s talk about us,” she said with a coy smile.

Ray smiled, “Mmm, that’s a topic I love talking about,” he murmured as he kissed he gently on the neck. Ashley softly laughed, “Okay, you know how that gives me the chills.”

He smirked, “I know.” He pulled away and looked into her hypnotizing eyes, “Ash…I need to tell you something that has been eating at me for a while now.”

She looked at him alarmed, “What? Is everything okay?”

He nodded, “Yeah, everything is fine…it’s just…well…I think I’m in love with you.”

Ashley looked at him shocked. She could feel her heart beating out of control. The last time someone ever told her that they loved her; they ended up ripping her heart out. She was terrified that was going to happen again, she fought against the words that entered her mind, but she couldn’t contain them when they left her mouth, “I love you too.” She could feel relief lift off her shoulders, she was afraid of the outcome after saying the words, but she felt no fear at all.

Ray pulled her into his embrace and his mouth met with hers. Their emotions were flooding through their kissing. He laid her down on the Queen sized bed and continued to rape her mouth his tongue as his hands worked over her curvy body.


Kimberly laid in bed and could feel tears threaten her eyes. So Ray came but Nick didn’t? Well why would he? She did break up with him…he slept with her worst enemy. How could she forgive that? She heard soft moans coming through her walls and she grabbed her pillow and put it over her face. She felt the tears rolling down her face, she truly missed Nick and hearing Ray and Ashley make love was making it even more difficult on her. She removed the pillow and grabbed her remote to her stereo and turned it on, blocking out her friends going at it. She turned off the light and hugged her pillow, sighing loudly wishing more than anything she was in the arms of her love. No matter what, she knew she would never get over Nick. He was her true love, he made her feel like gold…without him life was so empty.