- Text Size +
Chapter Ten

"All the rich investors are sitting their lazy asses in the VIP suites today Kris." Jerry said the following Sunday, shielding his eyes from the blazing sun at Texas Motor Speedway.

"Well I'm sure a few of our sponsors are sprinkled throughout those 194 skyboxes." I replied, wiping the back of my neck with a cool towel.

"Good luck out there. It's a hot bitch."

"Get a helluva lot of tires ready. I'm gonna be blowing them left in right." I said with a laugh, sliding into the car easily. Jerry leaned in, helping me to secure the restraints that I knew were the difference between life and death.

An hour and a half later we were well underway under the scorching hot sun. Getting the coveted pole I felt like God was on my side. Every other guy on the track was silently calculating poll points in their head, figuring out exactly where they needed to place. I knew most of them had the win in mind...a win they wouldn't get.

One thing I had learned since driving professionally was that driving at speeds of almost 200 mph required concentration. There was no ample opportunity to daydream on the track...any track. Avert your eyes for a moment and you could lose as many as ten spots before you knew what was happening.

Taking turn four I glanced down momentarily at my left hand, staring at the white strip of skin on my ring finger. Not so long ago my engagement ring had protected my hand, promising eternal love. Ha, what a joke.

____________________

"You let your mind float away that's how!" Jerry said with a shake of his head as we sat at the conference table two hours after the end of the race. I had finished sixteenth.

"I'll do better next week. It was inexcusable." I muttered, looking down at the light brown table where my hands lay.

"Get some sleep."

I nodded, standing up and stretching my arms high up in the air. He's right, I thought to myself. I needed to forget about John and catching up on my sleep did sound promising.

Heading out of the office and through the garage I stepped out into the still humid night air. The stars were out and the fans were long gone except for those diehard fans waiting to get a glimpse of their favorite drivers.

"Haven't gone home yet either?"

Leaning my head back I folded my arms across my chest letting out a soft sigh.

"I will never get away from you will I?"

"Nope. Even when I die I'll haunt you. That way I can see you naked and you won't even know I'm there if I don't want you too." he said sweetly before laughing.

"McLean..." I said before trailing off. Thinking twice I just shook my head, heading off towards my rented car.

"What did you want to say?"

I turned, staring right into his face, my own eyes burning into his.

"Nothing."

"Are you saying you don't want to sleep with me?"

"When pigs fly." I retorted.

"How about when I win the Brickyard?"

I laughed loudly, forcing myself not to snort. He's delusional.

"McLean...the Brickyard is mine. I was born and raised in Indiana and I know that track like the back of my hand. I won it last year and I'll win it again. I don't know where you're from but..."

"Florida."

"Okay. Well I can tell you for damn sure that if you haven't driven Brickyard at least fifty times you'll have no chance."

He nodded, sliding his hands into his pockets.

"So is it a bet?"

"What are you talking about?"

"If I win Brickyard you sleep with me."

I stared at him, a smile spreading on my face.

"And if you don't you have to stay the hell away from me. Got it?"

"It's a deal." he said, holding out his hand. Grabbing it I shook it, tossing my head back and laughing. He held my hand for several moments longer than necessary and I almost didn't pull away. Noticing the smirk spreading across his face I finally yanked my hand back, making a large display of wiping it on my shirt.

"Night." I mumbled, turning around and walking away.

"Sweet dreams!" he called after me.

You're damn right sweet dreams.

The thought of never being bothered by AJ McLean was just so tempting.

So tempting.