- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen

The morning sunlight filtered through the heavy curtains and I squinted. Half asleep, half awake I was still utterly exhausted. For a moment I forgot why until I opened my eyes. AJ was curled up to me, his head resting on my chest, an arm draped across me holding me to him securely. I tried to resist a smile but as hard as I tried I just couldn't.

Leaning over I kissed his forehead, snickering softly.

"You're going bald McLean." I whispered.

"Fuck you." he muttered. I smiled, just knowing that he was semi-awake and would be able to hear me.

"I did that last night. Let me up I have to take a shower."

"Why?"

"Because I smell like ass. Now c'mon." I said, unable to suppress a giggle. Finally he grinned, raising his arm so that I could slid up. My feet hit the soft carpet and I looked back at him once more. He smiled at me before his eyes became transfixed on the ceiling, his hands sliding behind his head.

I stepped into the shower, squealing as the cold water dripped onto my body.

"Fucking shower." I muttered, turning the knobs mindlessly.

"No like this."

AJ's hands slid onto the dials, turning them in a manner that within seconds comfortable luke-warm droplets pelted my body. I moaned in pleasure, nodding my head slightly. I knew he was there...with me and I couldn't help but think of how he had walked into my bathroom in my trailer and the exchange of words that had occurred.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" he said, his arms wrapping around my body.

"That day." I said with a laugh.

"Yep...that day." he agreed, kissing my ear.

"Don't you have some admirers to fuck?" I said mockingly.

"Yes I believe I do." he replied, reaching down and pinching my ass.

Ahh, what a romantic moment.

____________________

"Ahhh life at the Glen." Jerry declared, opening his arms wide.

"Gotta love road races." I replied with a grin. It was a perfect Sunday...sun shining, every seat taken by die-hard fans...the kind of day every driver loves.

As a 2.45 mile road course, Watkins Glen it is at times called NASCAR's most boring. Yet ask any driver and you'll hear dozen's of stories that don't come near boring. Even though wrecks aren't as common as with deep banking tracks, the wrecks that do occur can be memorable.

"Time to get going." I said. Hugging Jerry I gave the thumbs up to my crew, sliding into the car. Fixing my rearview mirror I saw AJ sliding into his own car. He was starting fifth, while I took fourth. I giggled, seeing him wave cheesily at me before putting on his restaurants.

"I'll be the one waving goodbye to you on the track." I whispered under my breath.

____________________

"I think I'm getting car sick." I said out loud, not realizing that my radio contact was on.

"Well puke after you win Krista. You're doing great. Second place is at least a few seconds behind you."

I smiled, taking another turn. Road courses for me were absolutely relaxing yet all of the turns were stomach turning after a hundred plus laps.

"Hey Kris?"

"What is it Jer? I'm trying to keep my attention on the race here."

"Do you want the Ketchup song played at your party tonight?"

I burst out with laughter, trying hard to keep my eyes open enough to see the road.

"Fucker. Shut up."

I clicked off my contact, something I rarely did and focused all my attention on my surroundings. I easily took the checkered flag. Waving out the window I smiled, seeing AJ coming in second. Glancing in the rearview mirror all I could do was snicker as he tapped the rear of my car with his own.

And for the first time I knew it wasn't out of anger.

Driving to Winner's Circle, I slid out of the car, screaming in delight.

"Winner's Circle is becoming like a second home to me!" I shouted out. My crew erupted in cheers and from nearby I heard the sound of a champagne bottle being popped. In seconds a bottle was being thrust at me and I quickly scrambled onto my car, releasing the froth from the jar.

"Let's talk about the polls. Your at first point with McLean trailing seventy points behind you. How does that feel?" a reporter yelled out of the crowd.

"That's not enough of a lead for me!" I screamed back down into the group. I heard laughter and even more cheers. Turning towards the garages I saw AJ leaning against his car smiling with amusement.

His smile grew even bigger as a brunette snuggled under his arm.

And my smile disappeared.