- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen

It was four a.m. Four fucking a.m. and the voices outside in the hall wouldn't shut up. Trying excruciatingly hard to stay asleep I found with my curiosity. I knew that my mind wanted to absorb what was going on but my body wanted to sleep. Unfortunately after several more minutes my mind began to win out.

"What the fuck did you say to her."

"Let me go. You can't pin your crew chief to the damn wall."

"What did you say? She told Jerry that we should ask you."

A gargled response came from the other voice. Sitting up I rubbed my eyes, trying to figure out where I was and what the hell was going on.

"John...I'm giving you five seconds before I rip the balls away from your body and feed them to a dog."

"Okay...I'll tell you."

Silence.

Getting up slowly I wrapped a robe around my body, inching towards the door. I heard a low voice and I knew it must be John's. And the other person? Only one person came to mind: AJ.

But why would he be arguing with John? He knew about the bet...hell he made it. He probably got the check before he even slid into the race car yesterday.

"Check...doesn't belong...horrible couple. Love her...my wife." I heard as I pressed my ear against the door. What? I thought.

"You asshole. Are you that pathetic that you have to make up lies and ruin peoples lives? She told me what you did to her and it made me sick. When you first came onto my team I considered you a friend but now we're only a business relationship you got it?"

"Y..yes." John stuttered. "I need to get back to---"

"To what your whore? I don't think so. You're going to tell Kris just what you told me."

I backed away just as the knock sounded on the door. For a second I was tempted to tell the two men on the other side to go away. But I was curious.

Opening the door a crack I squinted my eyes against the light that drifted in from the hallway. I could see John's nose dripping blood and AJ looked animalistic with one hand tightly gripping the back of John's shirt.

"He has something to tell you." AJ said softly to me as he pushed John roughly into the room.

"What is it?" I said. "I don't particularly want to see anyone right now." I added, licking my lips nervously.

"Oh okay." John said, turning around. He ran straight into AJ's arm which blocked the doorway.

"Tell her." he commanded, a growl erupted from his throat.

John turned back to face me, a hand sliding across his neck.

"Our conversation yesterday..."

"Yes?"

"There was no bet..."

I sighed softly, folding my arms across my chest. Was AJ just making him say that? Or was it the truth?

"I see." I said simply.

"Show her." AJ commanded.

His hands trembling, John produced his checkbook. Opening it he handed me the check I had seen...same number and all. Across the top was written in black magic marker VOID.

"And?"

Sighing he also handed me the checkbook. Flipping it to the register I saw that no other checks were made in that amount or anything near it.

"Now what do you say?" AJ pushed.

"Sorry." came the mumbled reply.

I stared at the man in front of me...if you could even call him that. At one point of time John was my knight in shining armor. Now he was just a shriveled, aging man with a pockmarked face and perverted, hungry eyes.

"Asshole." I spat. Without thinking twice I raised my knee, hitting him squarely in the groin. He opened his mouth in a silent scream before double to the ground.

"Thanks for taking care of that for me." AJ said with a sheepish grin. Picking the anguished man off the floor AJ opened the door wider, kicking him out. Closing the door AJ turned to me, masked in shadows.

"And now it's my turn to say I'm sorry." I said quietly.

He just shook his head as he took a step towards me. Walking up to him I embraced him, kissing him softly before whispering my regrets.

"No regrets." he said, shaking his head.

"I really am sorry though." I mumbled.

"I know. Listen let's just get this season over with. I have plans for us on break." he said, running his hand through my hair.

"Plans?" I said with a slow smile.

"Plenty of them. After I win the championship of course."

"You mean after I win the championship."

"Ehh...that took." he replied with a shrug.

Together we laughed.