- Text Size +
Chapter Eighteen

The last race of the season began with AJ and I neck in neck for first place. We had done a great job of keeping our relationship separate from work, going as far as exchanging heated words after the race at Martinsville Speedway. He had sent my car into the back of the pack by tapping my rear before sailing on towards first.

But today...today was a winner take all race for the finish. There would be no taps...I was prepared for anything. Homestead-Miami Speedway was a favorite of mine and I was completely focused. Even if neither of us won I knew that I had to finish at least one spot ahead of McLean for the win. And he knew it too.

"Ready Kris?" Jer said over the transmitter as we followed the pace car.

"I've been waiting all my life for this day." I declared, my jaw set in a firm line.

"So have I babe. All of NASCAR has been waiting for this moment. The first woman driver to take home the Championship."

And with that it began. The long grueling race. The pent up emotions. The lap leaders changed more often than any of the men on the track changed their underwear. Their were blown tires and blown engines not to mention the hot sweaty faces of the determined drivers. Through all this there was one thing that kept us all going...the love of the chase.

For the first time since the beginning of the season I didn't ask once where AJ was. The only thing in my direct line of vision was the track and the drivers all around me.

Halfway into the race I spotted Gordon spin and hit the wall. Seeing his car sliding sideways I swerved expertly, narrowly missing the collision. Of course the driver I had swerved around wasn't so lucky.

"You okay Krista?" Jer said moments later.

"Just fine. That was a good wake up call. Get the boys ready for my next pit stop."

By lap 250 I had gained enough momentum to push me up to third. The moment I had cleared around fourth into the stop I knew who was in front. The back of his car was unmistakable and even though I should have been mad I just smiled.

AJ had made it to first. And somehow I had known all along that's where he was going to be when I finally got up far enough.

Lap after lap we went around the track...me never leaving third. Every time I rode up behind second place to get into his draft he went up high or went low and I never wanted to risk doing the same.

"Don't be a hero. You're doing just the right thing Kris. Come on in for the last pit stop."

Rounding the turn I followed McLean and second in. My crew couldn't have been faster; my pit stop only lasted fifteen seconds. As I pulled out an overwhelming thought occurred to me.

I had gotten out first. I was in the lead.

____________________

"One more lap Kris! One more!" Jerry screamed. I laughed.

"Jesus Jer. I know that. I'm the one fucking driving remember?"

"Just keep your attention on the road. I'm shutting up now."

Rounding turn two I felt my body relax. Mark Martin had taken up second place and wasn't up far enough to pass me.

Turn three and turn four came and went. And that's when I saw it...

The finish line.

My car flew over it and it didn't even hit me that I did what I set out to do. The championship was mine.

I drove into the field, popping out my window to absorb the cheers from the crowd.

Silence.

I stopped the car in confusion. Why aren't they cheering? It was at that moment that I heard it...

The emergency vehicles.

Leaving the car in the grassy field I slid out, turning towards the track. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I saw the flames licking at the car...or what had been a car. The hood was up into the windshield. It wasn't a car anymore...it was an accordian.

An emergency worker leaned in the car. It seemed to take hours for him to finally straighten up. I saw his face up close...I hadn't realized I had run right up to the scene. The worker turned towards me, his eyes void. I opened my mouth but didn't hear my screams. They were screams I knew were real but my ears were closed off to the world.

I looked towards the car and I could see the arm hanging lifelessly, the fingers still curled around the bent wheel. The helmet his the face...the face I knew still had a smile on it.

It was AJ McLean. Alex...the asshole...the prick...the rookie. The gentlemen...my lover...the one that cared. He was in the car and I was being dragged away and through it all I kept thinking...

Why wasn't he wearing his safety device?