- Text Size +
Chapter Three

With three laps to go I was trailing the rookie by about two seconds. We were at North Carolina Speedway, a mile track that had been operational since 1969. There had already been three delays in the race, due mostly to rain. My tires were treading thin and my gas tank was pointing towards empty.

Seeing the flag that signaled the last lap I knew I had to make a split second decision. With a snicker I speed up...getting right into McLean's draft. I could feel my car sucking up the speed and energy and I let out an orgasmic whoop. Rounding turn two I pushed forward and we drove side by side for several moments. Turning my head slightly we caught each other's eyes, his burning with anger and mine shining with satisfaction. Giving him a curt nod I pulled forward as we neared turn three, taking four and easily passing the line before him.

My first win of the season. And it never tasted so good.

I did several donuts in the field before calming down enough to make it to Winner's Circle. McLean may have been able to gloat the week before but this time it as all for me. Up ahead I could see John, tackling various crew mates and tossing hats around like crazy. I laughed, eager to slide out of the car. I tossed my helmet aside, letting my hair cascade down my shoulders. Skidding to a stop I slowly slid out through the window, instantly being tackled by various well-wishers.

"You did it baby!" I heard him yell. An instant later I felt the cold sensation hit me. Gatorade dripped down my face and a champagne bottle was placed in my hands. Scrambling up on top of the car I threw back my head and yelled loudly, popping the cork and watching with glee as the bubble froth spilled from the bottle.

As more and more people came up to congratulate me I began to lose track of time. Just as my last interview was wrapping up I caught the sight of McLean coming towards the garage, swinging his helmet in his hand. He looked at me and for a second I thought he was going to stop and...say congratulations? But instead he just shook his head slightly, disappearing before I had a chance to utter a syllable.

"Thank you Krista, and congratulations." the reporter said with a smile. I returned the thanks and turned, knowing the first place I wanted to go was directly to the shower in my trailer. Stepping over all of the confetti and other celebratory trash I passed the garage and entered my small trailer. It was completely quiet, just the way I liked it. John had gone with the crew to get smashed at a local bar and I knew I had an enjoyable evening ahead of me.

Stepping into the small bathroom I turned on the water. Letting it warm up I went to the bedroom to scoop up some clothes. I slid off my driving outfit. The white tank I wore under it clung to my body, sticky with the sweat of the long race. I stripped completely, heading back to the bathroom. Once under the water I let out a sigh of relief. My neck muscles started to relax and I opened my mouth just gently letting the warm water run over my body.

I became so preoccupied with relaxing that I didn't even hear the door to the bathroom open. My eyes were squeezed shut, the water pounding my body sending me into a rhythmic trance.

"Congratulations." a voice whispered close to my ear.

With that my eyes flew open in fear. Turning just slightly I saw McLean standing right outside the shower, a smirk on his face.

"Fuck!" I screamed, turning off the water quickly and reaching for a towel. Wrapping it around my body I stepped out of the shower turning to face him. I could feel the warmth creeping into my cheeks.

"You don't just go barging into other people's trailers and coming in while they're taking a shower!" I screamed, grabbing the nearest object I could find - a bar of soap.

"Geesh sorry. I didn't get a chance to talk to you outside." he said, holding up his hands. I saw his eyes avert to the bar of soap. "What are you going to do with that? Clean me to death?"

"Listen...." I said, trailing off. I couldn't remember his first name.

"My first name's AJ." he filled in, hiding a smile.

"I knew that!" I snapped. Damn him for reading my mind! "Listen AJ I don't know what you got away with in the minors but your playing with the big boys now and--"

"You don't look like a big boy to me." he said in the same calm tone he had kept all through my rampage.

I blushed, my fingers clutching the bar of soap even tighter. My other hand clutched the towel.

"Don't you have some admirers to go fuck. I want to be left alone." I said, my voice frighteningly steady while inside my stomach was boiling.

"Yes I believe I do." he admitted, sliding a hand into his pocket. "But now that we're teammates I think you should try to be nicer to me."

I opened my mouth to protest but before I could he reached out with his free hand, pinched my ass and strutted out.

I'm in hell!

____________________

"Paul, please tell me what I just heard isn't true!" I said, placing my hands on my managers desk. It was late and yet he was still milling over papers.

"What is it that you've heard Krista?" he said calmly, tipping back in his chair.

"You did not just agree to manage to rookie. How in the wo--"

"Listen...you've been aware for some time that I want to put together a little family. Consider him your first sibling." Paul said, holding up a hand to keep my quiet. "Congratulations, you have a brother."

I shook my head, my lips trembling with rage.

"He's dreadful. I can't get along with him. He's arrogant, cocky, demanding---"

"You pretty much just named off everything that you are. You're going to be a match made in heaven. Help each other out on the track and we'll make out little family number one against even the big boys."

"The only help I'll give him is if he wants to attempt suicide." I spat, folding my arms across my chest.

"So be it Krista."

I nodded and turned to leave.

"Oh and one more thing."

"Yes?" I said.

"I'm making John their crew chief. Wesley just quit and since you and John are together it looks bad for him to be so emotionally and physically attached to his driver. I'm appointing Jerry Haliway as your new crew chief."

I faced him once more, my face ashen. I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"You can't be serious. John is the best damn crew chief out there and your taking him away from me? That's like telling me that you don't want me to win the championship."

"Krista you know that's not what I'm getting at. But it will be easier for you and John now that you don't have to mix your love life with your career."

I nodded...it was all I could do. All I could think was, Does John already know?

And if he did...would I forgive him? How could he keep something like that from me?

As I walked into the cool night air I shuddered.

Everything was falling apart.

Everything.