- Text Size +
Chapter Four

"Baby I'm sorry I didn't tell you but---" John said, walking towards me in our hotel room. The dazzling city of Las Vegas was easily seen through the balcony doors. I had managed to avoid him for almost a whole week.

"Stop. Don't." I said, holding up a hand. "I don't want your two bit excuses. There isn't any reason on earth that you can give me that I'll buy. You're deserting me."

"I'm not deserting you baby."

"What do you call going to the dark side?!" I screamed, picking up a hairbrush and waving it wildly in the air.

"That was Paul's decision. Honey I'd never desert you. You're going to be my wife." he said softly, almost cooing.

"I'm going to take a walk." I said instead, grabbing my jean jacket.

"D--" he trailed off. "Don't be out long. You have a race tomorrow."

No shit. I thought as I closed the door behind me.

No fucking shit.

____________________

"It's got to be about 125 goddamn degrees out here." Jerry Haliway said through the walkie talkie, wiping his brow.

"If anyone should be complaining it should be me!" I said loudly. I could feel beads of sweat dripping down my neck and onto my already soaked shoulders. I was fourth and yet again staring at McLean's back bumper.

I saw him look into his rearview mirror and even though he wore a helmet I could tell he was grinning. Giving me the finger he sped up, passing Johnson to take second.

"Oh hell no. Fucking A!" I screamed, beating my palms against the wheel. Accelerating I came up on Johnson. I could see him glance in the mirror and the car began to sway. He was slowing down and I was unable to.

I braced myself for the inevitable and a moment later I heard the loud clunk of our two cars coming together. Johnson spun wildly forward, hitting the very rear of McLean's car. Caught off guard AJ spun, hitting the wall with a force that made me wince.

My own car had hit the wall, and yet I hadn't really felt a thing. Was it shock? I heard a slow trickle and I knew I had sprung a leak. Unfastening all of the safety devices as quickly as possible I managed to stumble out of the car right before flames began to spring up from the engine.

"You alright?" The EMT asked me as they forced me into an ambulance to check my vitals.

"I need to go back to my crew. I need to get back on the road." I said, shaking my head.

"From the looks of your car there's no way in hell you could get it to even go a tenth of a mile. Just sit tight Krista." The EMT answered.

Everyone's a damn expert, I thought. Don't quit your day job bud.

"What the hell did you think you were doing out there?!"

Raising my head I saw an EMT leading Johnson into the ambulance. His face was red with fury.

"Haven't you ever had one riding your ass before?" I spat.

"That was the worst excuse for racing I've ever seen!" he screamed.

"Chill out Johnson. Everyone makes mistakes." a voice interrupted. My jaw tensed at hearing the voice...McLean's.

"I didn't make any mistake. You guys need to learn how to drive better." I snapped. Standing up I brushed past them all and heading towards the garage.

It seemed to me that the moment I took one step forward there was always something that threw me three steps back.

And that something was AJ McLean.

____________________

I watched from a distance as Newman stood in Winner's Circle, grinning triumphantly. I had to admit he was cute...for someone already attached.

The moment I had walked into the garage I had received a lecture from Jerry. I would be lying if I had said that I didn't expect it. What I didn't expect was the lecture from John.

"That was the most asinine move I've ever seen." John snapped.

"Gee I didn't think you cared John." I had said sarcastically.

"Oh I care. You ruined my driver's chance of winning. You need to grow up."

With that he had turned and marched back to McLean's garage. I had walked in the opposite direction finding refuge between the corn dog and elephant ear stands.

"What are you doing hiding out here? Newman invited me to a party he's throwing. Come with me."

"Go away AJ. You've caused me enough trouble." I said coldly, staring straight ahead.

"That's too bad. This is Vegas baby. You may hate me but we're gonna live it up tonight."

With that he grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"Hotel Suite 3B. 8:00. I'll meet you at the door. Be there."

I watched infuriated as he walked off. And yet I knew I would be there.