- Text Size +
Chapter Six

Rain pounded down fast and heavy as lightning zigzagged across the sky. I huddled miserably under the make shift tent that the crew had constructed in mere minutes. My car sat under a tarp, waiting to come to life at the very first sign of sun.

Atlanta Motor Speedway is an ultra-modern, multi-purpose venue that has drawn crowds from all over the United States. Not to mention that the gift shop is pretty damn cool too if I say so myself.

"Baby..." a voice said from behind me. My back stiffened but I refused to turn around.

"I don't want to talk to you John." I said coldly. With shaky fingers I reached into my bag, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. Placing one securely in between my lips I flicked on the lighter, feeling the warmth splash across my face.

"I didn't mean what I said. I was drunk...and seeing both you and AJ crash...that was like me losing twice over."

"You don't belong to us anymore. And you sure as hell don't belong to me." I mumbled, flicking my ashes into my hand. A gust of wind caught at my hair, snapping it back from my shoulders harshly.

I heard him sigh, his feet scuffing into the pavement.

"I want us to be man and wife."

"And I..." I said softly, finally turning around to face him. "Have lost all respect for you. Quite frankly I think I had fallen out of love with you a long time ago. Goodbye John."

He nodded, swallowing down an obvious lump in his throat. I saw his hands shaking as he turned around, going back into the torrential rains to his own camp.

"Goodbye to you." I whispered, inhaling the cigarette smoke deeply.

"Goodbye? I haven't even said hello you."

Looking up I saw McLean standing in front of me.

"What is this? A parade of men coming to call on me?" I said dryly.

"Babe..I don't call on women. If anything women come to me."

With that he sat down next to me, reaching down to grab a cigarette from my pack.

"Don't you have enough money to buy your own?"

"Well if I win another race I just might be able to afford a whole carton."

He leaned forward, striking a match on the pavement and in one swoop lighting the end of the cigarette. The end glowed brilliantly as he let it dangle precariously, staring out at the drenched fans and track.

"Why aren't you with your own crew?"

"Eh...I like to hang around with people with more curves." he said dryly.

"Well take a good look at ‘em clothed because you'll never see them in the flesh."

He remained silently and we sat there, neither of us talking, each of us lost in our own thoughts. After several minutes he finally spoke.

"Looks like the rain's letting up."

"It's too late to race. Looks like we'll be back tomorrow." I commented. Looking over at him I met his eyes.

"See you on the track."

He rose, grinding the cigarette into the ground with his shoe. I watched irritated as he strutted away.

"Like hell you'll win tomorrow." I whispered.

____________________

"Krista how does it feel to win two out of the first four races?" a reporter said, thrusting the microphone at me.

"It feels great!" I yelled, trying to be heard over the roar of the crowd and my own crew. "We're on our way!"

Raising my face to the sun I couldn't help but grin. From the moment I had slid into the car it seemed like nothing would dare to go wrong. Then add the fact that McLean had finished 25...the whole day was orgasmic.

"Big party planned tonight Krista?" another reporter asked.

"Hell yeah!" I screamed. I jumped down from the top of the car, safely into the group gathered around. I happily accepted the hugs from the pit crew and of course from Jerry. His whole attitude had changed once he saw that I was actually going to win and not crash. Imagine that.

After several hours of congratulations, signing autographs, posing for pictures and a dozen other various commitments I finally made my way back to the hotel. With only thirty minutes to get ready for my own party I knew I had to move fast.

And move I did.

____________________

The room was crowded with people...people I mostly didn't know. The music was deafening but the moment I walked into the room I instantly loved the atmosphere. Everyone turned to applaud and I graciously accepted the attention.

Ahh, it feels good to be alive, I thought with a smile.

After making a small speech everyone turned back to their own cliques and I was left to meander from one to the next, playing the host.

"Krista can you come up here?" a voice called from a small platform in the corner of the room. I didn't recognize the person but I laughed softly, heading up towards the stand. He held out a hand and I hopped up there, facing the crowd turned to look my way once more.

The lights dimmed and I looked around, confused. What the hell?

Everyone remained silent and before long I could feel the minutes dripping away. As I was opening my mouth to ask what was going on I felt two hands grip me, dragging me off the platform. Before I could open my mouth to scream a hand was placed over my mouth, the other hand leading me almost motionless through the crowd.

It was at that moment that I passed out.