- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

I moaned. I felt the hand on my face...a masculine hand. The fingers brushed over my lips and I let out a soft sigh, my heavy eyelids trying to pry themselves open.

"Krista?" a voice whispered from above me.

Slowly a soft sliver of light made its way into my eyes. A dark shadow hovered above me and within minutes the shadow took the form of a man. AJ McLean.

"What did you do?" I groaned, squeezing my eyes tightly shut once more.

"I didn't do anything." he responded gruffly. "I saved you from the psychopath they let slip inside the party. They really do need to get some security guards in there or something. If I hadn't punched that fan in the balls he probably would have gotten away with you…especially after he totally blacked out the room."

My lips opening I shook my head, surprised at the agonizing pounding.

"Take it easy. Let me get you some water."

"Whiskey. Gimme whiskey." I said hoarsely. I sounded like a stranger.

"I called the doctor. He said you might have a mild concussion. When I tackled the guy he dropped you like a sack of potatoes."

"The race...I gotta get to the race."

"Kris...you won the race. We have a whole week before I beat your ass again."

"Like hell you will." I retorted, cracking a weak smile.

"Hmph. We'll see. Are you hungry?"

"No..." I licked my lips slowly. "Tired."

I didn't hear him respond but I felt his presence still in the room. After about five minutes I felt pressure on one side of the bed and felt his hand take my own. Already my mind was swimming, desperately searching for peaceful slumber. His lips met my forehead right before I was able to drift off.

____________________

"You'll be okay for Sunday's race. The moment you feel dizzy I want you to stop your car." the doctor said, staring down at me through his horn-rimmed glasses.

"Yeah I'm just gonna stop." I said sarcastically.

"If you don't you'll end up killing yourself and god knows how many other drivers. So either you swear on a Bible that you'll pull over or else I'll write up a note saying you can't race at all." he said.

"Fine. I promise. Thank you."

He nodded, turning around and heading out to consult with Jerry. I couldn't make out what they were saying but I heard Jerry assuring him about something, most likely taking me out of the race if I didn't look well. Fucking wimp.

I closed my eyes, ready to take yet another nap when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I sighed, scooting up into a sitting position.

The door cracked open slightly and McLean made his way inside. In his hands he carried a dozen roses and as always a self satisfied smirk.

"What are you doing here?"

"I think you'd be nicer to your knight in shining armor." he said in mock shock, placing a hand over his heart...or at least where his heart should have been.

"Yeah thanks."

"I brought you these." he continued, holding them out towards me.

"I'm allergic. Give them to one of your bimbos."

"I only have eyes for one bimbo baby. And that is ya-ou." he drawled, pointing his finger at me and growling sexily.

I couldn't help but crack a smile but I refused to laugh. I'd rather die than boost his ego anymore.

"Seriously these are for you."

I watched as he placed them in a vase, glancing down at me with his cocoa eyes. I met his stare, my lips placed together in a firm line.

"You're prettier when you smile."

"You'd be less annoying if I never had to see you again."

He grinned, sitting down at the end of the bed. I felt his hand curl around my foot and I jumped back. He held it firmly, ever so slowly running his palm against the bottom in a soothing circle. As hard as I tried to resist I found myself relaxing, leaning my head back against my pillow.

"That feels good." I admitted, stifling a comfortable moan.

"It's a specialty." he admitted.

I glanced down at him as he leaned down, nibbling my toe gently. I gasped, pulling my foot back yet he held it down with his firm grip. Slowly he began to lick up my leg and I felt my heart start to pound furiously.

"AJ..."

"Hey Krista." a voice said from the doorway.

I jumped at the sound of Jerry's voice, the pure momentum sending my foot flying...right into AJ's face. I watched in shock as his eyes rolled back in his head, right before he landed on the floor with a thump.

"Oops." I said meekly.

Well hell.