- Text Size +
Stella sat looking at her husband, Philip over the breakfast table
‘I've put the advert in the paper for a gardener’
Philip looked up over the paper ‘fine’ he flicked his eyes back to the article he was reading

‘I wonder if I’ll get any replies’ she said more to herself than to him

After a ten minute silence Philip stood up, put on his jacket and straightened his tie
‘Im going to work’ he said as he picked up his briefcase

Stella stood to give him a kiss but he moved so she kissed his cheek instead

‘Have a good day’ she sighed
‘I’ll be home around 6 o’clock’
‘Ok fine’

Philip walked out of the door and climbed into the car and without a look back he drove to work leaving Stella alone and on the verge of tears.

As she cleared up the breakfast dishes and put them away her mind wandered. Where had everything gone wrong? How did her and Philip get to this place, a place where there was little affection and very little communication.

They had met and fallen in love, they couldn’t live without each other. They married and Stella stood by Philip as he worked his way up the ladder at work. He got to the top and was now one of the top lawyers in the country owning his own company with many employees.

They’d celebrated his success with fantastic holidays, bought this amazing huge house; three cars and an apartment in New York. Their life was one that most people can only dream of; so why do I feel like this Stella thought, I should be so happy I have everything and yet nothing at the same time.

She sat down and let her mind wander to the day she married Philip and how much of an amazing day it had been and how wonderful it felt to see the look in his eyes as he watched her walk down the aisle.

The ringing of the phone brought her back to the present. She reached and picked up the handset.



Kevin Richardson walked through the town taking in the sights and sounds. The smell of bacon wafting from the diner as he walked by was far too tempting. He turned and went in and slid into a booth dropping his backpack onto the seat beside him.

He ordered breakfast and a coffee from the waitress.

All his possessions lay in the backpack by his side, everything he owned was there. He had no family; he was a drifter. In and out of places he went, finding odd jobs to keep going. He’d not found a place he really liked enough to put any roots down.

He liked it that way though. If he had no ties and no one to care about then the heartache wouldn’t ever find him again.

He pushed thoughts of the past away to the dark recess of his mind as the waitress placed his breakfast plate in front of him with a steaming cup of coffee.

‘If you need anything just give me a shout sweetie’ the waitress said smiling at him
‘I certainly will’ Kevin smiled and winked as the waitress blushed a little

He finished his food and drained the coffee cup and leaned back with a sigh and tried to decide if he was stopping in this town or moving straight on through. He looked and caught the waitresses attention

‘Excuse me’ he smiled ‘do you have a local paper’
‘We certainly do’ she smiled

She disappeared into the back and came out with the local paper, which she had ‘borrowed’ from her colleagues bag and gave it to him
‘There you go sir’ she smiled ‘looking for anything in particular?’

‘Not really. Just want to see what this place is like before I decide if Im staying or not’ he smiled
‘Stay’ the waitress said making herself blush this time ‘it's a really nice place and full of nice people too’
Kev laughed ‘we’ll see’

The waitress went back to her work and left him to browse through the paper in peace. If there's a decent job in here then I’ll stay if not then I move on.

He scanned the jobs pages and just as he’d decided to go his eye caught a small advert in the bottom corner of the page.

It was an advert for a gardener, something he had gotten good at during the last few years of travelling from town to town.

He changed some money at the counter and picking up the payphone receiver he dialled the number in the advert.