- Text Size +
3.

After going up to the Finch house a few times Kevin and Stella had a good working relationship and they spent the hours in the garden talking as they worked.

They were sat on the grass eating dinner and Kev asked Stella about some of her favourite things.

‘I love pop music, my favourite perfume is Gucci, favourite fruits are cherries and strawberries and the sexiest celeb is Daniel Craig’

Kev couldn’t help but chuckle as she described him as pure sex on legs when he came out of the sea in his little blue trunks in Casino Royale

‘Believe me’ she said laughing ‘he can leave me shaken and stirred anytime he likes’

‘Oh I believe you’ Kev laughed ‘so what about dislikes then? What winds you up? I can’t imagine much does’
‘You’d be surprised’ she smiled ‘ooh now where do I start. I hate being cold, give me sunshine any day. I hate being put on hold, rude people and yes I know what you're thinking Philip does drop into that category sometimes’
Kev held his hands up in surrender ‘thought never crossed my mind’ he grinned

‘I don’t like mornings Im a definite night owl and I hate absolutely ALL bugs’
‘Bugs?’
‘Oh yeah; nasty creepy crawlies. Ugh!’ she gave an exaggerated shiver ‘seriously don’t know why I like the garden so much cos really it's full of the little…suckers’

Kevin laughed and took a drink from his glass
‘So what about you Kev, what do you like?’

‘I love gardening’ he laughed making Stella laugh too
‘Is that it?’

He smiled ‘I love the simple things in life, like seeing the sunset and sunrise. The sun setting just has some magical quality about it. I've seen it in some amazing places. To actually watch it go down and the last rays of light disappearing into the horizon and the darkness spreading over the land is beautiful’

‘Wow, sounds gorgeous. I've never really taken any notice of it. It's just something that happens every day but I've never seen. That sounds crazy’
‘There's a lot of people do that Stella; it's just nice to take time out and see it once in a while, it's good for the soul’
‘I will definitely have to take notice of one real soon’ Stella smiled ‘think my soul could do with cheering up’

‘What's wrong?’ Kev asked concerned
‘Oh nothing’ Stella said waving her arm dismissingly ‘take no notice of me. Come on lets back to it for an hour and then I’ll let you get off home’
‘There's no rush’ Kev said ‘I enjoy being here’
‘Good’ she smiled ‘Im glad’

After Kevin had gone home and Stella had had a shower she made dinner for her and Philip. She ate alone again and cleaned up her plate leaving Philips untouched meal on the table. She went into the living room and tried to watch tv but couldn’t concentrate.

She picked up the telephone and dialled Philips number stopping before she hit the last number. She cut the unmade call off and replaced the receiver into its cradle. She got up and put on her jacket and locked the door behind her as she went for a walk into town.

She went into the diner and ordered a coffee she heard a familiar voice and looking to the other end of the diner she recognised Kevin; he was laughing with one of the waitresses. He caught her eye and waved. She raised her hand up in acknowledgement and smiled.

Kev picked up his coffee and walked over to where Stella was sat in a booth
‘Mind if I join you?’ he asked
‘Of course not’

He sat down as the waitress brought over Stellas steaming coffee
‘Do you come here every night?’ Stella asked
‘Not every night’ he smiled ‘but most nights. How come you're here?’

‘Oh nothing Philips busy and I didn’t want to disturb him’
‘Stella your house is huge, you could stay at home without disturbing him. What's going on?’
‘Nothing. You don’t need to hear my whinging’

‘Stella I asked, therefore it's not classed as whinging so come on, give it up’ he smiled ‘Im a good listener’
‘It's just…well Philip hasn’t come home yet and it's not been the first time and you know what they say about men working late, what they're really up to’
‘Do you really believe that?’ Kev asked

Stella sighed ‘I don’t know anymore Kev, really I don’t. I just don’t know what's happened to him lately. It's like someones switched personality with him’
‘Maybe hes just under a bit of stress from a client or something’ Kev said gently ‘Im sure he’s not having an affair, well he’s a damn mad man if he is’

Stella smiled at Kevins compliment ‘thank you. And yes maybe you are right. I guess I should just talk to him a bit more. It's not easy though as you’ve seen’
‘Im sure it will be fine Stella. Just have a little patience; we men are a difficult breed’

‘That you are’ Stella laughed

They finished off their drinks and walked as far as where Kevin was staying and Stella carried on her own. Kev sighed as he watched her walk off into the distance. Hed tried to be gentle with her earlier but he had a bad feeling that what Stella thought about Philip was the truth, it sounded to him that he was having an affair.

He must be a fool, Kev thought as he lay on his bed in his room. Stella was a few years older than him but she was really pretty and such a nice person. He closed his eyes and imagined kissing her, what it would be like to hold her and tell her everything would be just fine.

He opened his eyes and turned at look at the photograph by the side of the bed. He held it in his hands looking and remembering. A silent tear slid down his face. He put his lips against the cold glass, holding in the sob that was threatening to come out.

'I love you' he whispered

He replaced the frame back on the night stand and closed his eyes to sleep.