- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Six – December 31 (New Years Eve)

“This is crazy,” I complained. Nick reached over and fiddled with my seat belt.

“It’s not crazy,” Nick argued. “It’ll be fun.”

When I had gone down the stairs that morning to get a glass of water, I had almost tripped over our luggage in the kitchen. I was standing there confused when Nick came out of his studio.

“What’s all this?” I asked. Nick grinned.

“We’re going to Los Angeles.”

“When?”

“Oh, in a few hours.”

“What?!”

So here I was, on a plane with the seat belt barely able to hook into the seat, flying to Los Angeles six and a half months pregnant.

“I couldn’t say no,” Nick said for the hundredth time. “The guys said we’re making the big announcement tonight. I couldn’t miss it.”

I sighed. I knew he was right. Ever since the boys had split with Jive, they had quietly been meeting with other labels. Nick hadn’t gone into specifics, but I had a feeling that they had landed a big record contract. With the success of Masquerade and hopefully Figured You Out, I had a good feeling about it.

“Plus,” Nick continued as the stewardesses locked everything done for take-off. “We can spend the night at the condo and enjoy the fireworks. And make some fireworks.”

I laughed. I didn’t know what the poor guy was going to do for the six weeks before and after delivery. If he thought he was going to go blind before, he hadn’t seen anything yet.

“I brought your video camera,” Nick said. “I was hoping you could put our announcement on the webpage tonight.”

I smiled. “Of course I can. What label signed you?”

His eyes twinkled. “Uh-uh. You’re just going to have to wait and find out.”

“That’s not fair,” I argued. “I bet Leighanne, Rochelle, and Leigh knows,” I argued. Nick shook his head.

“Nope, none of us have told.”

“Even AJ? He sucks at keeping secrets.”

“Even AJ.”

“Can you at least whisper it to the baby?” I said sweetly. Nick laughed.

“Nice try. No.”

I sat back in a huff; he leaned over and kissed my temple.

“You’re so cute when you pout.”

“I’m not pouting.”

Nick laughed.

---------------------------------------------------

Our six hour flight turned into a seven hour flight as we hit bad weather over the plain states; therefore, we didn’t land in L.A. until almost seven thirty. Nick checked his watch constantly; usually he didn’t care a bit about delays, but this time he was impatient.

“What time do we have to be wherever we need to be?” I asked.

“Nine, but we’re going to have to get dressed.”

“Dressed?” I looked down. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Admittedly not the best New Year’s attire, but still…

“We’re going to a gala event,” Nick said. My eyes widened.

“Nick, unless you packed a gown in my carry-on or that small suitcase, I’m screwed.”

He grinned. “Why do you think I’m impatient for the flight to land? I have some very capable hands getting us things to wear.”

The capable hands he was talking about were Howie and Leigh. As soon as we landed, Nick got a rental car and we took off to their hotel since it was closest to the event. As we walked into the lobby, Nick pulled out his cell.

“We’re in the lobby. Yeah, I know we’re late. 302? We’re headed right up.”

Nick and I got on an elevator and took it up to the third floor. Howie was waiting outside the room.

“We’re going to wait for you guys in the lobby,” Howie said. Leigh slid out of the door, holding James. Even he was wearing a tux.

“We shouldn’t be long,” Nick said.

My panic level was beginning to rise. Leigh looked like a Spanish version of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. If we were already running late, I didn’t know how I was going to be able to do anything with makeup. And my hair? Forget about it.

“We have hair and makeup people,” Leigh said, practically reading my thoughts. “They got me done in twenty minutes.”

I headed into the room. It was a huge suite. Nick headed right to a tuxedo bag. I turned into the other room.

“Olivia?” a lady asked. She was already armed with a hairbrush and curling iron.

I nodded and before I knew it, I was in a seat with powder puffs hitting my face and the lady with the hairbrush tugging at my hair.

“It’s awfully dry,” she complained. I wrinkled my nose; dry hair was one side effect of pregnancy. What did she want me to do about it?

“I’m not sure we can do much about the puffiness around your eyes either,” the makeup person was saying.

Of course she couldn’t; it was water retention.

Even with all of the complaining the staff did, I was done in twenty minutes. A minute later, I unzipped a long garment bag.

A light blue gown flowed out from the folds of the bag. Sparkly Swarovski crystals danced along the bodice.

“Mrs. Dorough has excellent taste,” one of the ladies said.

As beautiful as it was, I worried that it wouldn’t fit. I hadn’t seen Leigh in three weeks and I had gained another couple pounds. I was retaining water from my eyes to my ankles. That dress looked way too pretty to fit me.

I shouldn’t have doubted Leigh. The dress fit beautifully. Leigh had even taken into consideration my extreme clumsiness and big belly and found a pair of flats that made me feel like I wasn’t even wearing shoes. I couldn’t help but smile as I looked in the mirror.

“Thank you,” I said to the staff. They nodded.

“Enjoy your evening.”

I walked back into the main room. Nick was already waiting by the door. His hair was neatly gelled and he looked debonair in his tuxedo. He slipped a wrist corsage on my hand.

“You look amazing,” he said enthusiastically.

“I feel like I’m going to prom,” I said with a laugh.

“Well, since I never went to a prom, I kind of like that idea,” Nick said.

We headed down to the lobby where we met Howie and Leigh.

“You look great,” Leigh said.

I smiled. “Thanks to you.”

“We’ll meet the others there,” Howie said, glancing at his watch. “They got ready at home and they’re waiting for us.”

A limo escorted the four of us to Les Deux, a large nightclub. The party was already hopping inside and out. A red carpet was rolled out from the valet to the door.

“Should I get out and film you guys coming down the carpet?” I asked, fiddling with my bag for my camera. Nick shook his head.

“No, I need my date to walk by my side. The only thing you need to film is our announcement later tonight.”

It was a weird experience walking down the red carpet with Nick. I knew this was a big event; paparazzi were lined up along the roped off red carpet. I was glad when we got inside and the flashes in front of my eyes disappeared.

The others were already inside. I was pleasantly surprised to see Kevin.

“Surprise,” he said with a quiet smile.

“I didn’t expect to see you here!” Leigh said happily. I was glad I wasn’t the only one that didn’t know he was coming.

“Well, I had to fly Mason back to spend New Year’s with Kristin and I, er…” he trailed off.

“It’s always good to see you,” I said. He smiled.

“Y’know, I think this is the first time they’ve let kids into this club,” Brian said with a laugh.

“Yeah, we’ll it’s going to be an early night for these two anyhow,” Leighanne said. Baylee wrinkled his nose and looked up at her, but she just ruffled his hair.

Leighanne was wearing a beautiful pink gown that ruffled along the midriff. Even though it did a good job of hiding any start to a baby bump, I saw how much fuller her face was.

“So, when are you guys making the announcement?” I asked the guys.

“Eleven,” AJ said. Nick and him shared a wide smile.

“Do you know what it is?” I asked Kevin. Kevin looked caught off guard, but caught himself. He smiled smoothly.

“I plead the fifth.”

Brian cleared his throat. “I think we’ll make our announcement right now though,” he announced. I knew right away what he was talking about; I saw Baylee scowl.

Your announcement?” Kevin said, arching an eyebrow.

Brian looked at Leighanne; she smiled.

“Brian and I are expecting,” she said.

“Expecting what?” AJ blurted.

Nick and I laughed. Rochelle smacked him.

“What do you think?” she said.

“You dog,” AJ said.

“When are you due?” Leigh asked.

“July,” Leighanne said.

“Are you excited Baylee?” Rochelle asked.

Baylee folded his arms across his chest.

“We’re working on it,” Brian said with a smile. He placed his hands on Baylee’s shoulders.

After a round of congratulations, the groups broke up to mingle with the rest of the crowds. I kept looking around, hoping I could spot some person or signage that would give me a clue as to my husband’s potential music future. As hard as I looked, I didn’t see anything.

A little before eleven, we all managed to drift back together again. A nanny had taken Baylee and James back to Brian’s condo. Alcohol was starting to flow heavily.

“We ready?” Brian said. He stuck his hand in the middle of the haphazard circle we formed. Nick’s hand shot out.

“Ready.”

AJ and Howie followed suit. I saw them look at Kevin; he put his hand in the circle.

“C’mon girls you too.”

With a laugh I stuck my hand in the ring.

“Backstreet!”

A group of people took the stage. The crowd turned their attention towards them at the tap of the microphone. I turned on the camera.

“Hello everybody!” The group cheered, cups held high. “We’re happy everyone could be here to ring in the New Year at Les Deux. On behalf of the entire Universal Music Group, we would like to introduce our newest recording artists who will record their 8th studio album in 2011. Ladies and gentlemen, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, and Kevin Richardson!”

Nick kissed me quickly before bouncing up on stage.

“Kevin’s back!” I said happily. Rochelle let out a loud whistle.

“On behalf of the entire group, I want to thank Universal for taking us on,” Howie said. “We’re also thrilled to announce the return of our fifth member, Kevin.”

Kevin raised his hand and waved modestly.

“We’re going to take 2011 and make sure we can produce the best album possible. It’s time to make the music we want to make and Universal is helping us pave the way,” Howie concluded. AJ grabbed the mic.

“So without further ado, let’s ring in the New Year the right way. Backstreet’s Back!”

-----------------

If you enjoy Cruise Control, check out the companion story Nowhere to Go to learn more about Kevin's return to the Backstreet Boys and life after Kristin. Click here to read.