- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Seven – December 31 / January 1

“Five…four…three…two…one…”

“Happy New Year!”

“Happy New Year, Livvy,” Nick whispered in my ear.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him softly. He deepened the kiss as confetti fell from the ceiling. Small silver specks fell on my eyelashes, causing me to burst into giggles.

“Well that’s a new reaction,” Nick said.

“Sorry,” I said, picking off the offending object. “Where were we?”

“Right about here,”

He leaned down and drew my lips to his once more. I heard the start of fireworks in the night sky.

“Bom chicka wah wah,” Brian sang as he walked past. It was Nick’s turn; he laughed right into my mouth. I rested my cheek against Nick’s chest and smiled as Brian twirled Leighanne out to the dance floor.

Nick and I stayed until about two o’clock in the morning. By that point the party was dying down. AJ and Rochelle sat at a booth in the corner, locked in each other’s arms as if they had been super glued together. Brian and Leighanne had already gone back to their place. We said our goodbyes to Howie, Leigh, and Kevin and took a taxi back to the hotel. From there Nick began the drive to his condo. Fireworks lit up the night sky. Nick’s tuxedo jacket hung over the back of the driver’s seat, his tie was completely undone.

“I can’t wait to post the video,” I said happily, replaying the footage back on the screen.

“Well, it can wait until morning,” Nick said with a laugh. I smiled.

We entered the community and Nick slowed as we pulled up to the condo.

“This brings back memories,” I said as we got out. Nick grabbed our duffel bags.

We walked into the foyer, Nick’s dress shoes clicked on the white marble floor. I glanced over at the hall table where I had first checked out his family photographs. A new one caught my eye.

“Nick,” I said softly, picking up the silver frame.

“I added that after you flew back to Wisconsin,” he said.

It was a picture of me on the beach. My hair was windblown and my cheeks were red; I had never looked happier.

I set the frame back down and smiled over at him.

“I like to keep my family close,” he added. He walked halfway up the stairs ad then leaned over.

“You coming?”

“Of course.”

We headed upstairs. I stopped for just a moment at the staircase. I could almost see Bitsy’s little head stuck through the bars.

“You’re dawdling,” Nick said. I laughed.

“Chillax Nickolas,” I said. He shook his head.

“Don’t make me grovel.”

I walked after him into the bedroom. Nick had pulled back the curtains; fireworks still lit up the sky.

As I stood at the glass door I felt Nick’s fingertips slide down my shoulder blades. I heard the zipper on the back of the dress being slid down. My dress fell to my ankles; I shivered as I felt the softness of Nick’s white dress shirt press against my back. I caught our reflections in the balcony doors. I saw him lean down and moments later felt kisses raining down on my shoulder. His hands went around and cupped my breasts. Somehow being able to see his movements made it all the more erotic. I turned around and kissed him hard. Nick led us to the bed. I placed my palms on his chest and pushed him back.

I hovered over him and worked at the buttons of his dress shirt as the same time he worked on the belt on his pants. I quickly found the hem of his dress shirt stuck in the zipper.

“Aw c’mon,” Nick said. He gave a tug. “See, this is why I like things made with elastic.”

I laughed and knelt down by the bed. My hands pushed his away as I fumbled with the zipper. There was more hindering the thing going down than just the shirt. Nick was ready to go and this was just adding to his frustration.

I freed the offending material and eased the zipper completely down.

In minutes Nick and I were mixed up in a tangle of sheets and pillows. Even though it was getting trickier and trickier to work around the baby bump, Nick was up for the challenge.

As I lay in his arms afterwards, I kissed his chest. His finger twirled a strand of hair around and around.

“I can’t help but remember how it felt the first time,” Nick said. “You cried and I thought that I had done something wrong. I felt so scared that I had screwed it up and I didn’t want you to leave.”

I smiled. “I was scared,” I admitted. “You made me feel like I had never felt before. And then you told me you loved me for the first time and I…” I trailed off; I was remembering the night like it was yesterday. “I felt like you meant it more than Hunter ever did.”

Nick kissed me softly.

“I mean it more and more every day,” he said.

We fell into a comfortable silence. He continued to run his fingers through my hair. I felt my eyes grow heavy with sleep.

“Good night, Livvy,” Nick whispered softly.

---------------------------------------------

The next morning, Nick and I rolled up our jeans and walked hand and hand along the surf line. I wore one of Nick’s fleece sweatshirts; I felt like I could stay in our little moment of time forever. Unfortunately, we had an early morning flight the next morning. Nick squeezed my hand gently as the waves tickled our toes.

“I’m going to miss you like hell,” he said softly. He leaned down and picked up a beautiful pink seashell.

“It’s strange,” I said with a soft smile. “Last time we were here we had the exact same conversation. Except this time you’re the one that has to leave.”

Nick sighed. “It just makes me nervous that I’m going to be gone and you could go into labor early.”

I shook my head. “I don’t think I will. When the doctor gave me my due date we didn’t know exactly when I conceived. I know it’ll be later than March 18.”

Nick placed the seashell up to my ear. I closed my eyes and smiled. When I opened my eyes I saw Nick studying me.

“What?”

“You know everyone always told me pregnant women glowed; now I know what they meant.”

I laughed. “Maybe it’s leftover makeup from last night.”

Nick shook his head.

“No, you’re amazing.”

We spent the rest of the day lounging around the house and playing a never-ending game of Monopoly. Even though Nick spent his money like water and bought anything he landed on; he was a ruthless bargainer. I ended up losing by landing on Oriental Gardens one too many times.

As the sun set I sat cross legged on the bed, uploading the video of the Boys’ announcement. I smiled as I reviewed the footage again; their enthusiasm radiated off the screen.

“We stayed with Jive way too long,” Nick said as he hovered over my shoulder. “Even I will admit our last album was our weakest.”

I looked up at him in surprise. “I loved it,” I said softly. “I’ve loved every song.”

Nick smiled. “I know you do. But we’re going to have to really step it up to remind everyone else we’re still out there.”

I kissed him softly. “I have no doubt we’ll be hearing you guys on the radio really soon.”

“Well hopefully you’ll hear me on the radio even sooner.”

I could hear the lyrics to All My Heart in my mind. I smiled.

“Something tells me I will.”