- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty – February 14

“Are you sure you’re up to this?” my mom asked worriedly.

“Of course I am. C’mon you’ve got to admit this is going to be fun.”

“Well…it does remind me of old times.”

It was Valentine ’s Day and Nick was just two hours away in Orlando for his very first House of Blues concert. I had rented a car to take my mom and I to see him. Nick had no idea.

“Well, it’s just the dogs…” my mom said hesitantly.

“The lady that comes and feeds our dogs said she’d go over and feed yours. It’s not like we’re even spending the night. C’mon.”

I had told Leighanne of my plan and just two days ago I had received a package from her in the mail. In
the box was a beautiful long sleeve dark purple sweater dress and black boots. A card with her handwriting simply said “Wylee’s branching out. Enjoy my new design.”

As my mom fumbled around for something to wear that wasn’t pajamas, I sat in her living room. I was already dressed and ready to go. The dress fit like a dream; I thought I looked thinner now than I did even two months ago. Even the boots had just a tiny heel; I wasn’t toppling over anytime soon.

By the time my mom came out in jeans and a studded t-shirt (that I had bought her), the car was waiting outside. She locked up and we slid into the backseat. I could tell she was impressed; we were riding in style.

“Last time we saw Nick in concert together we had to take the train,” Mom said. “Remember that guy that smelled like fish?”

I laughed. “Yeah. I think this is a good improvement.”

“How far away is the House of Blues?”

“About two hours.”

We spent that time going over what I had discussed with the wedding planner the week before.

“Yellow and white roses?” mom asked. I nodded.

“What color are you putting the girls in?”

“It’s called mermaid, but it’s a turquoise,” I said.

“That will look really pretty by the water,” my mom said with a nod.

I remembered how hard it had been to pick out colors for my first wedding. I had wanted bright colors but Hunter had argued that every single color I picked out clashed with his hair and the complexion of his sister. In the end I had to go for a dark gray with white accents. Then, the day of the wedding the florist showed up with red roses. My mother-in-law had changed the order at the very last minute, claiming yellow clashed with the color palette. Ugh. It was one of the most stressful days of my life; I was determined this time around it would be the opposite.

“And shoes?” my mom said with a smile. I laughed.

“That’s the beauty of it. I’m going barefooted.”

We were discussing the logistics of three hundred chairs on the beach when we pulled up to the House of Blues. I slid out of the car, my mom not far behind.

The line of fans waiting to get in for the concert wrapped around the building twice. I went around to the back; luckily Nick had brought some of the Backstreet Boys security with him. They recognized me straight away and let me in the back.

“I always pictured the back stage a little more glamorous,” my mom said. I smiled.

“It’s a mass of rigs and lights and props,” I said. “Usually the dressing room is pretty nice.”

I wove through the stage hands, my mom tagging behind. As I rounded the corner to the dressing room I bumped into a scantily clad dancer.

“Oops, I’m sorry!” I said, stepping back. My eyes widened in recognition; hers did too.

“Liv!?”

“Andrea?!”

Andrea had been a dancer on the U.S. leg of the This is Us tour and my roommate. Her hair had been black at that time; now it was platinum blonde. She looked great either way.

“Oh my god, it’s so great to see you!” Andrea said. Her hands immediately went to my stomach. “I told you to take those condoms.”

I felt my face turn red.

“Andrea, I’d like you to meet my mom.”

Hey eyes widened so much I feared she was going to lose her fake eyelashes.

“Oops, I’m sorry. Hi!”

My mom looked shocked for only a moment. She smiled and shook Andrea’s hand.

“Actually I’m glad she didn’t take them,” my mom said. Andrea laughed in relief.

“I didn’t know you were one of Nick’s dancers.”

She shrugged. “I go where I’m needed. I think he might have remembered we were bunk mates too.”

“Well, you look great. Knock ‘em dead,” I said.

“Thanks.”

“Have you seen Nick?” I asked.

She pointed behind her. “Still in his dressing room I think. Does he know you’re coming?”

I shook my head. “It’s a surprise.”

She laughed again. “Well, I’ll let you go. Nice meeting you,” she said to my mom before walking off.

I headed off to his dressing room. At the door, I dug into my bag and pulled out a red and black wrapped box. I knocked and waited.

The door opened slowly and Nick’s head peeked around the corner. His face lit up the moment he saw me.

“Oh my god!” Nick yelled. He was out in the hallway in a flash. His eyes wrapped around me and I felt my feet lift the ground.

“Nick!” I laughed. “Put me down.”

He put me down but kissed me passionately. When he pulled away I was breathless.

“What are you doing here?” he asked grinning.

“Mom and I wanted to surprise you,” I said. Mom peeked around me and waved. Nick laughed.

“Sorry, I didn’t see you. Hi mom,” he said, hugging her tightly.

“You drove all this way? How are you?” his hand touched my stomach.

“We had a car drive us here. And I’m fine,” I said. I didn’t dare tell him about the occasional contraction. I held up my package. “I brought you this.”

He took it then looked at me. He looked panicked. “You’re here,” he said.

I laughed. “Yup, I’m pretty sure I am.”

“You’re gift is there,” Nick said, waving off into the beyond. “At home.”

“Well, it’ll be waiting when I get home, right?” I said. He smiled. “Yeah, I guess so. You didn’t have to get me anything.”

“It’s for good luck. For tonight,” I added.

Nick led us into his dressing room and mom and I settled on the couch. He settled on the coffee table and tore at the packaging. He held up a silver chain.

“You’re other one broke. Every rocker needs one,” I said with a smile. He slipped it over his head.

“It’s perfect. I love it.”

“You ready to go out solo again?” I asked. Nick nodded.

“Yeah, I’m ready.”

We spent a few more minutes back stage before a stage hand poked his head in and told Nick it was almost time.

“You guys are going up to the balcony right?” Nick asked worriedly.

“You don’t want me in the mosh pit?” I asked. He gave me a look.

“Yes, we’re going to the balcony,” I said.

My mom gave Nick a huge hug and took the back stairs up to the private balcony. I lagged behind.

“Damn, I love that dress. Where’d you get it?” he said, running his hand up my sleeve.

“Leighanne sent it to me. It’s a Wylee original,” I said. Nick kissed my neck, then my lips.

“Remind me to send her a thank you card,” he said appreciatively. He pulled the top of my dress towards him and stared down at my cleavage.

“Mmmm.”

I slapped his hand away. Nick’s eyes crinkled with silent laughter. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist, his lips grazing mine once more.

“Thank you for coming,” he said softly.

“I was going through my Kaos withdrawal,” I whispered. “Two weeks was bad enough.”

“I couldn’t agree more.”

With one more kiss, Nick ran towards the stage while I headed up the stairs to the balcony.

As much as I had enjoyed Nick’s first solo album, Restless Soul completely trumped it in every single way. Instead of trying to bring out his inner 80’s rock star, Nick had just gone out and put his whole self into every song…and it showed. Mom and I butt bumped to the music as Nick stood out there, flanked by dancers. By the third song he was covered with sweat and my hormonal body wanted to devour him alive.

“I’d like to slow it down now,” he panted into the microphone. He swung himself so that he was sitting down on the stage. Security held the girls back; otherwise he’d be missing both his legs.

“I’d like to dedicate this song to my fianee, Livvy. She inspired this and everything else I’ve done in the past eight months.”

His head turned towards the balcony and he blew me a kiss. I blew one right back.

He laughed into an acapella version of All My Heart. Lighters began to sway and the fans sang along with every word.

And I began to cry.

----------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I didn’t have much time to visit Nick after the show. There was no afterparty; Nick was running his schedule tighter than Howie ever did. He was due in Atlantic City the next day. Mom and I stood outside his bus saying our goodbyes.

“I just don’t want you to drop from exhaustion,” I said worriedly as he hugged me tightly.

“I’ll be fine. I just want to get home to my three girls,” Nick said charmingly pointing at me, my stomach, and my mom. After he let go of me, my mom hugged me tightly.

“Liv’s right. Be careful,” she said. She cupped his chin in her hands and stared at his eyes.

“You already look exhausted.” She licked a finger and wiped a smudge off his chin. He wrinkled his nose, but I could tell he was enjoying the attention.

“It’s all good. If I stay busy I’ll be home before I know it,” he said. He leaned over and kissed me again.
He headed up the bus steps, waving behind him.

Mom and I headed to the car that would take us back home. Mom fell asleep halfway home, but I couldn’t get Nick out of my mind. I had never loved anyone so much in my entire life.

After dropping my mom off, the car turned slowly into our driveway. I got out and began to walk to the front door. I had the house key ready to insert into the lock when I turned around. All I could do was stare.

A brand new Nissan Pathfinder in yellow sat in the driveway, a huge white bow wrapped around it. My mouth dropped open as I slowly walked around it.

There was no doubt in my mind that this was my Valentine’s present.

I headed inside to find a vase of yellow daises and roses. A white ribbon around the vase had the keys attached with a note. I smiled as I read it.

Every Backstreet wife needs a car. This one has room for plenty of pretty babies. Happy Valentine’s Day. Love you forever, Nick.