- Text Size +
It was a hot day in Mexico City and I was ready to head to my hotel and plop in my bed. Not that I was ready to go, I was in the midst of the Latin America tour. I was just tired I knew a little rest would suffice that. Wow did I just use the word suffice… ha eat that Howie!

Sorry anyway back to my story telling, while the guys opted on going site seeing. I declined and headed for the hotel. I was ready to hit the sack maybe play some video games first. Just plain and simple lounge around; I mean we didn’t have any appointments for that day.

I wasn’t surprised to find some fans hanging around the hotel so I stopped and signed some autographs. Finally after telling them I really had to go I went straight to the elevator and was actually happy that I would be in it alone. The doors were closing when a very nice hand I must add stopped them from closing. Her red finger nails shining, she gave me a weak smile as she walked in. I looked at her and could not deny she was cute.

She had on a very formal work attire and it was apparent she was hot because she held her blazer in had. Her purse was also very secure over her shoulder. I gave her my famous smile and was surprised as she just gave me an awkward smile. I then assumed she did not know who I was.

Her features were very Latin, she was naturally tan and her hair well was a dark brown. She seemed to chew on her lip as she pushed the floor she wanted to go to. I didn’t pay much more attention as finally the doors closed again and up went the elevator. It was nearing my floor when I felt a big shove and I nearly squished the poor girl who in shock grabbed on to me for dear life. She smelled nice.

“Fuck,” I managed to say when I saw the lights go on and off a few times. I gave her an apologetic smile and quickly stood up straight. She gave me a shy smile as she tried to push the button to open the door with no avail.

Using my poor Spanish I tried to tell her that we were stuck. “No bueno…” I told her giving her a stare of resignation.

I was surprised when she began to chuckle, she was shy though as she covered her mouth to hide her smile. I tried to understand why she was laughing and it hit me when she answered me. “Yeah we are stuck and I was supposed to be at meeting. Damn it, let me see if I can get the staff through this,” she told me as she took out the walkie talkie.

I was shocked here I was thinking she only spoke Spanish and to my surprise she knew how to speak English and with no accent let me tell you. “You work here…” I managed to ask as she messed with the gadget only to get static.

“Yes I am the Rooms Division Manager and sometimes I can be a concierge.” She told me extending her hand to me, “I’m Esmeralda Soto, and welcome Mr. Carter to our facility. I do apologize for this…” she told me in a very business like tone.

“Oh so you know who I am?” I asked her giving her a smile.

“Of course who doesn’t know the backstreet boys? Besides I was the one to arrange all your rooms accordingly. I even made sure your room had the video games you requested.” She told me as she continued to mess with the gadget.

“Interesting and do you remember every guests request?” I asked her curiously as I got comfortable I had a feeling we were going to be here for a while.

She nodded and gave me a big smile, “As of matter of fact I do, I have a photographical memory and a good memory period. I was just about to go to the presidential suite because we have the pleasure of also having President Calderon this week… he likes his room to smell nice so we make sure we have enough natural flowers when he comes. He seems to like Lavender a lot.”

“So what do you think happened?” I asked her as I finally slid down to the floor resting my hands on my knees.

“I have no clue, but I need to get out of here soon. I bet Gustavo is already looking for me…” she said as she looked at her watch. I just smiled and watched as she even tried her cell phone.

********

An hour later she had given up and was now on the floor her blazer covering her legs so they would not be exposed. That’s when I saw her badge she sure did work here. “Can I ask you something?”

“Yes of course,” she told me as she wiped her forehead.

“How do you know English so well? It’s just you have no accent.”

She gave me a smile and laughed lightly, “Well if you really want to know… I lived in the United States all my life… I was raised in a small town in Florida. I didn’t move back to Mexico till just a year ago, not my doing I got transferred here with my job. When this hotel got bought over by our hotel company. I guess they choose me to come along because I am Mexican American so they knew I wouldn’t mind eating tacos and all the other Mexican food. No kidding I wanted a change so I gladly volunteered.”

“Even with all the stuff going on around here… they say its very dangerous.” I told her.

“Well I think everywhere is dangerous… besides I do have family here so I am ok.” She answered as she sighed in frustration.

“So much for my nap.” I told her and she only smiled at me.

Little did I know what this incident would make me analyze what I had. This is where my story begins on how I met Esmeralda Soto and how she changed my life turning it upside down…
Chapter End Notes:
Ok here is my attempt at a Nick story. Let me know what you think.