- Text Size +
I kept my eyes on the entrance to the restaurant. I had to literally lie so I would be excused from some rehearsals. Of course Brian was quick to let me know he did not believe me but I didn’t care.

I was getting a little impatient when I saw her walk in. She was dressed casually in some very nice dark jeans that accentuated her hips. I smiled as I read her shirt, “Randomness Happens”. I waved at her and she smiled as she spotted me.

“Hey,” she said as she greeted me with a hand shake and a kiss on the cheek very formal. I helped her sit and then I waived a waiter over.

“What would you like to drink?” I asked her as she looked at her phone and I realized she had just ignored a call. “You need to take it’s fine.” She just shook her head and put her phone away.

“I want a coke with lots of ice please,” she told the waiter. I ordered a bottled water…hey I know about the whole don’t drink the water in Mexico. I sighed and gave her smile; she looked like she was really not there.

“You sure you ok? I mean you’ve been like this since yesterday. I really am a good listener you know. Well when I want to be and I want to be right now. Maybe I can help.” I told her as she looked at me with a subtle smile.

“I – I ‘m just having personal problems and then I have job problems so it hasn’t been a good day for me so far.” She said as she looked at the menu.

“Did you loose your job?” I asked right away as I realized she was dressed casually and not in her normal work attire.

“No, I have my job it’s just my day off.” She said smiling wryly as she said it and then snickered… “Well it’s my day off because I have to packed and ready for my transfer. I leave tomorrow morning.”

I felt my heart sink not because I thought it was a bad idea but that meant that she would not be at hotel on my last hours there. “I assume you’re not happy about that? Why did they transfer you Timbuktu?”

“No…” she finally laughed a little. “Now that was random Nick.” She said rolling her eyes a little as the waiter finally came with our drinks. I asked him to give us a few more minutes to decide on to eat.

“Really… good I made you laugh. You have a very contagious smile.” I told her as I smiled at her. She was blushing and I knew I had caused that on her. “So where are you getting transferred to? The States again?”

She shook her head and sighed heavily, “Guadalajara.” She said as she took a drink of her coke. “I am in charge of the grand opening to our new hotel there.”

I almost spit my water out when I heard where. I was coughing hysterically and she was beside me patting my back. “I’m fine,” I managed to say between coughs. “The water just went into the wrong pipe.”

“Are you ok?” she asked concerned. She looked worried and I felt myself calm down as she continued to rub my back. When she realized I was not coughing anymore she removed her hand from my back and cleared her throat as she took a seat again.

I just smiled at her and then I cleared my throat, “thanks for the back rub.” She was going to be in Guadalajara… I wanted to tell her I was going to be there too. But as I was about to tell her I changed my mind and instead began to plan on surprising her. “I am sure you will adjust to the new city… you freaking speak Spanish and you well you said it yourself you like Mexican food.”

“Yeah but I have no family in Guadalajara and I don’t think Sonia will pack and leave with me. I’m sure she isn’t crazy like that anymore especially since her life is her in the Capital city.” She told me as she eyed her menu again. “I think I’m ready to order.”

“Ok I guess I am too.” I told her and then I had to ask her it just came to my mind. “But you will have Leo I am sure he will follow you to the end of the world. I mean I saw the way he looks at you…” I said a pang of jealousy hitting me.

She chuckled and then she sighed, “Nope apparently not… he left me that same night after the concert. He is in Miami right now and I haven’t spoken to him since.” She told me not looking up to me. Had I heard right Leo had dumped her? Why?

“I’m sorry Esmeralda I didn’t mean to…” I stopped when I saw her shaking her head.

“No I’m fine… He will be back I know he will we just sort of had a fight. It was something really ridiculous but he had to throw a big tantrum about it. I am the one that is not answering him he’s been calling me like crazy all morning.” She said as she sighed and pulled out her phone and sure enough there were thirty four missed calls.

“Are you going to give him another chance?” I asked her subtly.

“No but I will forgive him. See I sort of am to blame for this fight. It’s a long story Nick and I honestly don’t want to talk about right now. I want to enjoy this lunch with you. God know we will never see each other again after this. You’re a great guy Nick; I have to say you are very determined.”

*******

[Esmeralda’s POV]

“Thanks for lunch,” I told Nick as he followed me into my ex office. My desk no longer had my touch of things everything was packed and probably already on its way to Guadalajara.

“No thank you for accepting. Esmeralda?” Nick told me as he walked into my office closing the door. I felt my heart stop, that was not a good idea. I bit my lip as I pretended to be very interested in the pens that were still inside my desk.

“Hmm?” I said looking up at him.

He neared my desk and leaned in so he was only inches away from my face, “fate.” He whispered as his lips finally met mine. I closed my eyes as his lips claimed mine and all I could do was kiss him back.

I knew that if I didn’t stop him I would end up on the desk and risk the chance of getting caught by someone in the hotel. I finally pulled away and took a deep breath. “Fate can have two different outcomes Nick. It can be disastrous especially with you having a girlfriend who I assume you love.”

He sighed and took a seat staring at me. “What is it about you Esmeralda? What is it about you that I can’t seem to get off my mind?” he said as his fingers felt his lips that were still formed into a smile.

“Nick you don’t know me… for all you know I may have six toes and maybe I snore at night! I don’t know you either except for what every girl in the world knows you’re the cute blond guy from the backstreet boys. The one every girl dreams of marrying… but that is not the Nick you really are or is it?” I asked him as I took a seat.

“No, that is only when I am on stage or being interviewed. The real Nick is very cautious to he opens up to and stays in his comfort zone… till he meets this one girl in an elevator. This girl is real and honest… she makes him rethink everything from the girl he claims to love for a year now. Lauren is a great girl but she lacks something and I think I have found that in you.” he said staring at me again before he stood up and smiled. “But maybe your right… I am thinking to much about this besides if this really was fate telling me I am with the wrong person… I would have to see you again right?”
I wanted to say no but I knew that for his sake it was best I agreed it was true we were never going to see each other again. “Right…” I told him and then I smiled at him and extended my hand to him. “It was nice meeting you Nick Carter the real Nick Carter.”