- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen – December 13/14 Addy

When I had walked up to the house, I hadn’t expected to meet half of the Richardson family. I began to unpack in things in the kitchen in order to stay out of the way while the guys unloaded the rest of the furniture.

“How we doing in here?” Jerald said, poking his head in. I dropped the bunch of silverware I was holding and fumbled for the pieces as they scattered across the floor.

“What? Oh, fine,” I said, scooping up a fork that flew under the kitchen table.

“So, how do you know Kevin?”

I looked up at him. I began to break out in a sweat. He was smiling at me like…like…

“Everything okay?”

I looked past Jerald’s shoulder at Kevin. He leaned against the doorway, his eyes serious and observant. “Jer, I think Tim could use a little help. The last thing in the van is my nightstand.”

Jerald looked between him and I and then took off outside. Kevin looked at me.

“You okay?”

I nodded and held up the silverware awkwardly. “Just putting stuff away.”

Kevin nodded. “Well, I appreciate your help.”

“No problem.”

He disappeared and I returned to my organization. I had been in the Farris house a couple times before Thomas had died. He had loved the house; all of his children had been born and raised here. It was a family house through and through. I could almost picture Mason sitting on the kitchen counter helping to make sugar cookies as Christmas music played and…

Wait…what was I thinking?

I had full intentions to get through the courtesy function of helping a neighbor and then I was going to stay as far away as possible. If sugar cookies were made in this kitchen I would never know about it.

I heard Kevin saying goodbye to his brothers from the front of the house. Minutes later the door closed and footsteps sounded up the staircase. I pulled the last box marked ‘Kitchen’ from the living room and stacked plates, glasses, and bowls.

By the time I was finished, it was almost dinner time. I walked from the kitchen into the living room just as Kevin attempted to walk into the kitchen from the living room. Neither of us saw the other. We collided; his hands quickly went to my arms to steady me. He moved too fast.

“Let go of me!” I screamed, twisting away from him. His eyes widened in surprise. “What’s wrong?”

I shook my head, my feet quickly propelling me to the door. I couldn’t answer him; doing so would open up everything I had worked so hard to lock away. Instead I opened the door and pounded down the porch steps.

I needed to go home.

------------------------------------

By the time I woke up the next morning, I had concluded that I had overreacted. When dad had come home the night before, I had pretended I was already fast asleep in bed. Truth was, I was lying under every single one of my comforters. I couldn’t seem to get warm; I was chilled, but not from the cold. I was scared.

Maybe the trip to Lexington had subconsciously brought forth some of my insecurities. I had been able to banter with Kevin and be in the same room as him before. Of course, he hadn’t been exactly nice to me. Or touched me. Now that there was a certain Southern hospitality in his demeanor, I couldn’t help but be guarded.

I had fallen for that type of charm once before and I barely walked away with my life.

I woke up and padded into the kitchen. As I whipped up some scrambled eggs, dad came into the room.

“Almost ready,” I said.

“I don’t have time this morning sweetheart,” he said apologetically. “Lois Walker fell this morning and she thinks she broke that weak knee of hers. I’ve got to go check. If she did I’ve got to take her to Lexington Memorial.”

I nodded. He knew better than to ask if I wanted to come. Instead he kissed my cheek and headed out. I dumped the scrambled eggs onto the plate, filled a glass of orange juice, and sat down for a quiet breakfast.

After I did dishes, I bundled up and headed for the barn. Even though the temperature was below freezing, I saddled Puck. He stomped in irritation; of the three, he preferred not to be ridden. I concluded he would just have to deal with it; Moonshine and Robin Hood deserved a chance to trail behind and frolic.

The wind cut through my jacket as we tore out into the fields. The cabin sat abandoned, every window dark. Puck taunted the others and me as he switched between an all out run and a slow trot.

“Stop being such a bullheaded ass,” I complained to him as I nudged him with my heel.

“I think you’ve said that about me once or twice.”

I turned my head to see Kevin standing at the fence, his arms resting on the snow covered boards. I pulled up to a stop.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, my breath coming out in big puffy clouds.

He shrugged. “I was up early and thought it would be good to come back to the scene of my downfall,” he said quietly. I braced myself for him to question me about my over-blown reaction from the day before. Instead he just continued with his train of thought. “It’s part of my step program.”

“What step program?”

“Alcohol recovery,” he said nonchalantly.

“Oh.”

He looked around and sighed.

“Just so you know my wife didn’t leave me because of it.”

“Because of what?”

“The drinking.”

“Kevin,” I said hesitantly. “I’m really glad that you’re working all this stuff out.”

He smiled. “Thank you. Hey, maybe when I pick up Mason, you and your dad can come over to our house and have lunch.”

I felt trapped. I wanted to tell him no, that wasn’t a good idea. On the other hand, I knew my dad would kill me if I said that.

“Just let us know,” I said. I tightened the reins in my hands. “Well, it’s cold, so I’m headed back.”

I waved awkwardly and nudged Puck along quickly. As I cut through the woods back home, I took a deep breath. I had a sinking feeling that I couldn’t peg.

I pegged it the moment that Puck stopped yards from the barn. He bucked backwards, snorting through his bit. I looked around and spotted the sense of his discomfort.

A black Lamborghini was parked in front of the house and leaning against it was the man who nightmares were made of. I knew he spotted me when he eased himself off the hood and began walking in my direction. In a panic I spun Puck around again and shot back in the direction I had just come. My fingertips were numb, but that was nothing compared to the terror that shot through me.