- Text Size +
Chapter Eighteen – Addy

As I got in the car, I saw Kevin’s eyes widen at the sight of the gun. Even so, he didn’t ask and I didn’t offer up an explanation. I just knew that if Toby came anywhere near me that I wouldn’t hesitate to blast off a round. A gunshot would be far better than what he had done to me.

When Kevin pulled up to his house, I grabbed the gun and duffel bag and followed him inside. I watched as he locked the door behind him.

“I’ll show you the guest room,” he said, heading up the stairs. I followed him, looking left and right as I went.

The guest room was painted a pale blue with a twin bed against the wall. A nice quilt lay on top. I set down my bag and leaned the gun up against the nightstand.

“Can you tell me why you brought a shotgun?” Kevin asked quietly. I looked over at him and shook my head.

“I’d rather not.”

“Can you tell me anything that’s going on?”

“I’d rather not.”

He sighed, but didn’t press me.

“Well, I’m going to be downstairs. If there’s anything you need, let me know.”

I heard his footsteps on the steps; I sank down on the bed. It was rather comfortable. Kicking off my shoes I stretched out, the scent of fresh linen tickling my senses. With heavy lidded eyes I fell asleep.

When I woke I wasn’t in the bedroom anymore. I was in Toby’s apartment on the campus of the University of Kentucky. The place was sparsely furnished; no pre-med student could afford much in the way of decoration. The place wrecked of weeks old pizza. My roommate had told me not to come; Toby and I had gotten into a huge fight the week before. He had begun drinking heavily and I had called him out about it. Not long after, rumors of him being involved in an assault on another female pre-med student had flown rampant around campus. Toby vehemently denied it and I couldn’t imagine that a boy that I had grown up with could do such a thing. I felt bad for him and angry that anyone could accuse him of such a thing. Sure, he had pushed me a time or two, but it hadn’t been anything major. Toby would never go so far as to attack a girl.

It was almost the end of the school year; I loved the feeling of my smooth bare legs in my tattered short shorts. I sat patiently on his bed, waiting for him to get back from wherever he was. The room grew dark and I walked over to turn on the one small lamp he had by a lawn chair that sat next to his window.

Before I could flip the switch, I felt something fly around my neck. My hands went quickly to my throat, but before I could tug whatever it was away, I was yanked backwards. My legs flew out from behind me and I landed with a hard thud on the ground. My head hit the concrete floor and I blacked out.

When I woke up I was confused and disoriented. I felt hot breath across my face and heavy panting filled the room. Pain like I had never experienced in my whole life tore through my body as whoever it was forced his way into me over and over again. I let out a startled gasp as realization hit me hard and fast.

“She’s waking up,” I heard someone say. It was then that I realized someone else was pinning down my wrists.

“I’m almost done,” my attacker said.

A gag was shoved in my mouth and duck tape strapped across my face. I tried to move, but it was useless. I felt the man shudder at his release.

“Who’s next?”

Fear like I had never experienced it before shot through my entire body. I didn’t know how long I had been blacked out. I had no idea how many men were in the room. I felt a new pair of hands pinned down my wrists as the violater slid off me. Another body pressed against me, his hands squeezing my breasts like they were hacky sacks.

“They make ‘em good in the country, Toby,” the guy said as he forced my legs apart. “I think this makes up for what you did to Denise.” Hot tears rolled down my face.

“Shut the fuck up, man. She can hear you.”

The voice came from the corner of the room. I knew that voice anywhere…it was Toby.

I don’t know how much time passed. All I knew was that I was violated time and time again. Sometimes I blacked out; other times I bawled so hard that I almost choked on the scarf that had been shoved in my mouth. Finally I heard the sound of the door opening and closing and then there was silence.

I rolled over onto my stomach. My hair was stuck to my tear stained face. I felt blood dripping down my legs. I wanted to vomit. I wanted to…

I was roughly shoved back onto my back. Heavy legs pinned me back down to the ground. A malicious hand wrapped around my throat.

“You tell anyone about this and you’re dead,” Toby said. I heard a click that I didn’t recognize, but there was no mistaking the cold metal barrel of a gun as it was pressed against my temple.

“You don’t know nothing, right?”

My body began to shiver uncontrollably. His breath smelled rank. He reaked of Jack Daniels and rum.

“RIGHT?!”

I shook my head, an animalistic whine of pain escaping from my windpipe. I heard him set the gun down and I took a deep breath. The next moment his fist came crashing into the side of my face. My head flew to the side like a rag doll.

“I didn’t want to do this,” he said almost to himself. “I just, I just made a mistake. This was the way to fix it. The guys won’t rat me out now. We’re square. I'm in the brotherhood. You understand, right?”

Stars still danced in my eyes. I had no idea what he was talking about. My mouth seemed to be filling with blood. He shook my shoulders.

“You understand, right?!”

I nodded, every little movement killed me.

I felt him get up and pace the floor. A few moments later he scooped me up.

“You’ve got to get out of here,” he whispered.

I didn’t know where he was taking me; at that point I didn’t care. I would have gladly died in a gutter. As he tossed me in the backseat of his rattletrap car I blacked out again.

When I woke up, I was in a strange hospital. I knew it wasn't the University Hospital. I looked around in absolute confusion. When a nurse came in and saw that I was awake, she turned right around. A moment later a doctor walked in. When he came near my heart began to pound.

I didn’t want him near me; I didn’t want anyone near me. I opened my mouth to let him know just that but I couldn’t talk. My throat felt like it had been sliced open by tiny razor blades.

“It’s okay,” the doctor said quietly. It sounded like he was shouting.

It was never going to be okay.