- Text Size +
Chapter Nineteen – Kevin

I was watching the Late Show with David Letterman. It was midnight and I was looking at airfare to Florida. I had called Nick almost every single day; the news of Aaron’s death weighed heavily on my mind. To die so young…

My thoughts were interrupted by the most terrible screams I had ever heard in my life. They sounded primal and laced with pain. I tossed the laptop on the couch and pounded up the stairs to the guest room.

I flipped the light on to the guest room; Addy was flailing in her sleep. Her hair was damp from sweat and her chest rose and fell rapidly. I walked over and shook her gently.

“Addy! Wake up!” I said in a loud whisper.

It took several shakes but finally she woke up. Tears streamed down her face. She began to beat me away with balled up fists; I was afraid for a moment she’d reach for her shotgun.

“It’s okay. It’s okay.” I repeated over and over. I knelt down by the bed as she fought for control.

“Oh my god. Oh my god,” she moaned. She lowered her head to her knees. Every square inch of her was shaking.

I had never seen anything like it in my life. I had never expected to see this in someone like Addy. From the moment I met her she seemed like she was made from a tough mold. This…this was someone who had been broken.

I got up quietly and left her for a few moments. I went to the bathroom and filled a glass with water. When I returned I knelt by her, holding the glass out.

She seemed oblivious to anything for a few more minutes. Finally she reached out and being careful not to touch me, took the glass. Her lips trembled as she took a sip.

“Can’t you talk about it?” I asked again quietly. She shook her head vehemently.

I sighed in frustration and looked back over at the shotgun.

“What did he do to you, Addy?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“I can help you.”

No one can help me.”

“Does your dad know?”

I saw Addy tense up. Her breathing was under control; I saw her nostrils flare.

“No.”

“Your dad doesn’t know?”

She shook her head.

I felt helpless.

“If this Toby guy’s going to be in town for a few days, don’t you think you need to tell your dad what’s going on?”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

A tear rolled down her face.

“Because I’m a good girl.”

I looked out the window. It had begun to snow again.

“Can you answer one question for me?” I asked without looking at her. Several seconds of silence passed. I took that as a yes.

“Did he hit you?”

The look on her face said it all. Even though I had a feeling there was a lot more to the story, at least I could confirm one thing.

If there was one thing in the world I couldn’t stand it was men who beat on women.

I took the empty water glass from her hands and walked back to the doorway.

“Get some sleep,” I said quietly.

“You’re safe here.”

I returned downstairs and picked up my computer. I put a reserve ticket on a flight to Florida for the 20th. If a miracle hadn’t occurred, Nick’s family was going to hold a funeral service that day for Aaron.

After doing that I stared at my screen. I don’t know why, but my fingers began to do a search on Dr. Toby Davidson in Kentucky. The first few pages told me that he was a gynecologist. I had a feeling that the sleezeball hadn’t chosen that profession on a whim.

I narrowed my search and began to wade through more results. I hit pay dirt on the second page.

Dr. Toby Davidson was suspended December 1, 2010 as a result of a several month investigation following reports of inappropriate conduct. One nameless victim claimed inappropriate touching. Another victim claimed that she was put under anesthesia and woke up to him raping her. The more I read the angrier I got. The article ended with a mention that the investigation was still underway and that suspected incidents dating as far back as ten years ago when he attending the University of Kentucky were being followed to help tie up the case. Bail had been set at $75,000.

By the time I finished reading, I concluded that this guy was an all out nutcase. I glanced up at the ceiling. I had a feeling Addy didn’t have a clue about any case or investigation. Something told me that Toby was trying to intercept her before anyone else did. I glanced back and reread the line about incidents dating back to college. My mind put two and two together, and the result wasn’t good.

Somehow I suspected he did more than hit her.