- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Two – Kevin

As we headed up the front porch steps to the house, I felt myself break out in a sweat on the back of my neck. I felt foolish. Here I was, thirty nine years old and I felt like it was my first time all over again.

Of course, I didn’t have an expanse repertoire of women in my history anyhow. Two or three past girlfriends and Kristin made up my entire love life. For the past twenty years it had just been Kristin.

Our footsteps sounded louder in the hall as we entered in tandem. Taking a deep breath I walked into the living room and clicked on a light sitting on the end table. It flickered momentarily and then bathed the room in soft light. The corners of the room were still shrouded in shadows.

I tried to make myself feel better by thinking to myself that if I was nervous, it was probably nothing like Addy was feeling. I turned and met her gaze. She had worn that white dress that she had been wearing the day we raced the horses around the barn. I couldn’t help but wonder if she was wearing the lacy underwear that matched.

For a moment I thought about saying something, but it felt silly to need an introduction. Instead, I wrapped one arm around her waist, pulling her towards me. She came to me without hesitation. My head dipped until my lips fell upon hers.

It sounds weird, especially for a guy to say, but her kisses felt different. Not in a bad way; they seemed like the kisses of an old kindred soul. There was a taste of honey and of fresh grass and summer and all of the things that I loved so much.

Addy’s arms wrapped around my neck; I felt her fingertips brush the hair on the back of my neck. I had been planning to get my hair cut for weeks; now I was glad that I hadn’t. Her fingers elicited a response through my entire body that had been dormant for a long time. I moaned and tugged gently on her hair. In response her head tipped back; it was the perfect angle for my tongue to probe her sweet mouth.

The temperature in the room seemed to go up about ten degrees in the matter of seconds. Without conscious thought, my hands slipped beneath her red sweater, pulling it down to expose strong bare shoulders. Her arms dropped from my neck just long enough to let the sweater slide to the floor.

We stood in our embrace for several more minutes. She hadn’t turned away from me once; there was a certain mutual trust between us that seemed to make our relationship a lot less complicated. Mustering up my courage, I broke the kiss and scooped her up in my arms. I heard two soft thumps as her shoes hit the ground.

Our eyes met in a silent exchange. There was a slight flicker of fear, but it left as fast as it came. As in quiet assent, her hand stroked my face.

I walked up the stairs, liking the feel of sweeping my woman off her feet and up the stairs. I turned to the right and entered my bedroom; I had thought about it only as a place to sleep. Tonight it took on a whole different meaning.

With the tender care of putting a sleeping child to bed, I set Addy down. I laughed huskily as she bounced slightly on the big mattress. The laugh was quickly stifled as she grabbed my tie and pulled me close. My hands landed on either side of her slender frame. I felt a bare leg press against my side; my hormones went into overdrive.

“Addy,” I whispered. I didn’t want to break the moment, but I felt I needed to say something. “If you want to stop all you have to do is say the word.”

She studied my face; her own was bathed in a beautiful glowing blush. Her hands fell onto my shoulders. I had never seen such strong, sure eyes.

“I’m ready,” she whispered.

There was no turning back. With the tender care that only two people who had experienced deep hurt could show, we fell in a tangle of bare skin to bare skin. Years of hauling hay, mucking barns, and riding had left her body toned, yet feminine. My hands slid over her hips and up to the bare expanse of stomach. Her hands played with the deep muscular curve of my shoulders before cascading down my back.

My head lowered to caress her breasts; her eyes fluttered shut and I was momentarily mesmerized by the slight opening of her mouth. Even the breath she took was sexy. I felt like I was quickly headed towards the end of the trip and we had yet to begin. I didn’t want to rush any moment; but I knew I couldn’t hold on much longer.

She seemed to instinctively sense my need. Her long legs wrapped around my waist. My hand ran momentarily along her smooth muscular leg, lifting her gently. In a collective moan I entered her slowly.

It was as if the dream I had experienced back in the cabin had been a metaphor. I had been lost in a forest and she was my compass guiding the way. It had been so long since I had experienced sex in this pure form. For so long it had been just a routine act; now it once again had purpose.

I had expected a certain rigidity in Addy; after all the memories that haunted her could not be easily erased. Instead I met a warm, responsive partner in all sense of the words. Her strokes and caresses, her soft moans all led up to one of the most explosive endings I had ever had with another person.

As we lay there, her cradled in my arms, I felt a rush of male pride and protectiveness. I inhaled the scent of her hair, kissing the top of her head softly. Her fingers made slow circles on my abdomen. After a little while I let my head sink into the pillow. Her head slowly tilted to look at me. I was worried about seeing tears in her eyes or a flash of regret.

Instead I received a smile.

In that millisecond I realized that my declaration of love that I had admitted to that morning was an understatement. Deep in the pit of my stomach I had the sudden realization that I was looking at a woman that I could very well start a new life with. Mason loved her and I loved her.

“Stay the night,” I whispered, losing myself in those amber eyes.

“We’ll become the talk of the town,” she whispered. Her eyelashes fluttered irresistibly.

“Let them talk,” I said. She smiled and pressed herself against me; I felt myself aroused once again.

“I’ll stay,” she said as I pulled her onto me. Her hair slid down around her shoulders, she lowered herself until our lips met once more.

One thing I knew for certain was that we weren’t going to be doing a lot of sleeping.

And that was alright with me.