- Text Size +
“Fanny,” Anne said impatiently as she watched her dance around in the study room. “If you do not come back and finish your math equations we will not go for the walk in the garden.”

“Oh please Anne do not take that from me, I will oblige and come here. Now again explain to me why you must do these equations. I just want to run free in the garden the air hitting my face.” Fanny said as she relentlessly took a seat beside her governess.

“Fanny a well brought up young lady knows how to do many things not only to trot around in the garden. Besides do you not want to impress your Sir James by being able greet him in French? I want you to show him your progress.” Anne said with a smile on her face.

“You know my uncle will not be back soon, most of the time he is in London or Lime or wherever. He detests being here you know, I think grand poppa and I are the only reason why he comes back to Longborn. He hates this place.” Fanny said as she got close to Anne.

“That is nonsense Fanny this place is marvelous I am sure he loves it.” Anne answered Fanny.

In the four days that she had been here she had learned many things about Longborn for instance, Fanny Collins was not Sir James daughter but niece.

She had heard about Sir James sister Georgiana dieing after giving birth to Fanny. Fanny had stayed with her father until her father Sir Charles Collins became consumed in gambling and as consequence lost his estate. After learning about Charles bad ways Alexander had gone to look for him and took Fanny away.

Alexander then was married to Victoria Dashwood who died of consumption only a year after marrying him. According to lady Potts Alexander became withdrawn and for quite sometime kept to himself in his room but after his cousin Howard Dorough from Norland Park came to visit he brought some life back to Alexander. He still had a dark side to him but he now went about his duties.

As well he is back to caring for his father’s health as for Fanny his dearest sister’s daughter. He has neglected himself and even though he does have female suitors he has not yet chosen one in particular, he tries to avoid them according Mrs. Potts.

To be honest Anne was curious to meet Alexander, one because she pitted him for his misfortune and because according to Fanny and Mrs. Potts he was very handsome indeed. Anne had yet to meet a handsome man.

*****

I was walking along the woods, I was actually trying to learn my way around Longborn. I still have to meet Sir James and to be honest I am excited from all I have heard.

I felt the first drop of what seemed to be rain so I had to cut short my walk and head back to Longborn. I had to admire it from the hill where I stood… it was quite a beautiful Estate.

I heard thunder or so I thought when I turned around and saw a large black horse approaching with full speed. I realized I was in the way and so I moved but my shoe got stuck with a rock and down I went. I did not come too till I smelled the strong smell of some sort on my nose. I was coughing hysterically as I came too. I adjusted my vision and saw Fanny and Mrs. Potts beside my bed with concerned looks.

“How did I get here?” I asked as I tried to sit. I groaned when I felt dizzy and so I lied back down.

“Well Miss Anne you were startled by Sir James horse and you fell hitting your head. Mr. James brought you back. He is truly worried about you, but the doctor said you will be fine it was more the scare.” Mrs. Potts told me her blue eyes looking at me with concern.

“How stupid of me,” I said with a groan when I heard someone else clear their throat.

“How do you feel Miss Phillips?” I opened my eyes and was met with a set of brown eyes full of concern. He did have a quizzical brow as he neared my bed, “I did not see you there till I saw you fall… I was trying to get to Longborn before the rain. I do apologize.”

“No need to apologize Sir… I was the one at fault. I am quite ungainly you see…” I said as I gave him a small smile.

“Well we shall leave you to rest, come along Fanny you still have to open your present.” I heard him say as Fanny jumped to his arms and he carried her away.

“Yes uncle let us see what you have brought me back from London,” Fanny said with excitement.

I groaned as Mrs. Potts continued to put a wet cloth on my head. What a nice introduction of my part… but one thing I did have to say even in my state, Sir James was indeed a very handsome man.