- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
here's the next bit. So just in case you've read my other historical story... I can assure you this one will have a happy ending. :) Enjoy.
That night Anne could not sleep so she was walking the quiet halls. She actually had been thinking about the possibilities of maybe advertising again. She was very angered at Sir James attitude toward her.

She gasped as she saw the shadow of someone. “Do not be afraid it is I.”

She sighed in relief as the tall man approached her. “Why are you not sleeping?” He asked her.

“I am having trouble sleeping, why are you up sir?” she asked Mr. Carter.

He gave her a smile as he stretched his arm to her and she took it cautiously, “I have a tendency of not sleeping well in other places aside from my own bed back in London.”

“I find that hard to believe sir, Sir James guest rooms are quite comfortable.” Anne said as they began to walk together.

“Well you might think of me proud for saying such, but it is true Miss Anne I cannot sleep in a strange bed.” Nicholas said as they made it to the kitchen. “Can I offer you something? Perhaps a midnight tea and Fruit cake?”

Anne laughed a little, “I do not believe you know where the servants keep everything.”

“Well we shall search then, you know I am quite capable of fixing my own tea.” He explained as he occupied himself searching the cupboards.

“So I see.” Anne said finding Mr. Carter’s company quite delightful after all. “How long do you know Sir James?” She asked as she watched him.

“Well if you must know… I met him through his former wife, we both fell head over heels for her but of course Sir James won fair and square. I could not be mad at that, she had chosen him. I ended up liking him too much as a friend to cut any ties with him… ever since then we have been close. I knew of him before because of Howard he his family has been acquainted with my family for many years now.” Nicholas explained as he smiled after finding what he needed to start the tea.

“She was very beautiful indeed.” Anne said remembering the portrait.
“Yes she was, you have seen the late Mrs. James?” Nicholas asked curiously.

“Yes once on a portrait Sir James keeps in his library.” Said Anne.

“Ah I see… she was very amiable and humble too. I believe she had more than Alexander and I after her.” he smiled as he remembered his past. “I feel for your master now, he seems to have lost his happiness. When she was alive he was so giddy and warm hearted. He never missed a ball or party… always showing off his beautiful wife.”

“I yearn to meet such man; the man I have met so far is full of anger. He has not but been maybe twice here since I arrived.” Anne said as she took a piece of Fruit Cake.

“Well I can assure you he is in there somewhere and hopefully my sister can bring that man back out.” Nicholas said smiling.

“Your sister?” asked Anne in surprise.

“Yes indeed Miss Anne, my sister has been in after my friend for quite a long time. Unfortunately he has no eyes for her, I tell her all the time but she sees none. She thinks her being here will finally get him to notice her.”

“What do you think Sir? Do you see any inclination toward her from his part?”

“None. But I cannot do more than to be here for her. But I must say I now have another good reason to look forward to our stay here.” He said staring at her.

Anne felt the warmth rise to her face as his piercing blue eyes met hers. “I think the tea is ready.”

“Oh yes,” Nicholas said turning to tend to the tea pot. “So Miss Anne I have talked so much about myself yet have not even learnt why you were up so late?”

“I could not sleep either.” She said as she gladly to the cup of tea. “I was actually analyzing my options. I might start advertising again… I have a feeling I might not be long.”

“I see,” Nicholas said sitting beside her. “May I ask why you feel such inclination?”

“I do not think I am ready to share that with you good sir.” Anne said as she took a sip of her tea. “I do have to say that I am enjoying your company sir. I have not had a good chat with anyone other than Fanny and Mrs. Potts.”

“Well I am very much enjoying your company Miss Anne. Very much indeed, I dare say I might get used to coming down to the kitchen every night for tea with you.” Said Mr. Carter.

“Please Mr. Carter do not talk nonsense I am sure you have had better conversations with people at court.”

“Nay Miss Anne they have to much caprice… with you the conversation is more humble and realistic. I have yet to hear you talk about acquiring some sort of splendid barouche or gun.”

“That would be silly to hear Miss Anne talk about acquiring such possessions when she is only a governess.” Sir James said walking in. “Pray Nicholas what are you doing up?”

“I could not sleep,” said he as he stood up. “Would you like a cup of tea?”

“I am fine thank you… I was walking by and heard voices. I fell asleep in the library, I am heading to my bed now. Miss Anne you should head back too… it is not proper for you to be here at such hours do you not think? Imagine what Fanny would think if she hears of this. I need for you to be a good example to my niece.”

Anne stood up and curtsied. “It was a pleasure Mr. Carter.” She curtsied to Sir James and walked away. She couldn’t help but think that he hated her, why would he insist in keeping her then?

This only made her decision to advertise more intense so as she entered her room she went to writing her advertising letter. The sooner she found a new home the better…