- Text Size +
"That sounded splendid,” Mr. Carter said as he walked into the room where Anne was teaching Fanny.

“Thank you,” Fanny answered as she smiled with delight. “Anne is quite the teacher.”

“Yes indeed she is,” Mr. Carter said smiling at Anne. “So when do you get a break Fanny?” he asked.

“Yes a break does sound delightful.” Fanny said jumping at the mention of a break.

“Fine Fanny you may go… I will see you here in half an hour!” Anne said smiling at the young girl.

“She is progressing I am sure Alexander will be proud of her.” Mr. Carter said turning to smile at Anne again. “Can I persuade you to a walk around the garden? It is nice outside no signs of rain.”

Anne smiled and curtsied, “I could use a walk.” She said as she took his hand heading for the garden. “Shall we ask your sister too?”

“Actually she is in Lime with Howard and Alexander.” Mr. Carter answered as they walked through the house and into the beautiful garden.

“Miss Philips!” Lady Potts yelled as she hurried toward them. “You have this it came in today.” She hand her a letter.

“Thank you Mrs. Potts,” Anne said taking the letter. “Mr. Carter do you mind if we postpone the walk?”

“I suppose I’ll leave you to your letter,” Mr. Carter vowed and walked away.

Anne took no time in opening the letter it had been three weeks since she had begun to advertise herself and one since she had gotten an offer in Hertfordshire to a Lady Russell. She had answered it and had now been waiting for answer.

******

Anne had canceled the rest of her classes with Fanny. She could not do it after having read the letter from Lady Russell. Now she was waiting for the retched Mr. James to arrive from Lime.

She had excused herself from dinner and had been quite rude to the only person she really liked so far apart from Fanny and Mrs. Potts. She knew she would have to apologize to him, Mr. Carter had no fault in what had occurred.

She heard the horses and the carriage so she wiped her tears. She grabbed the letter and walked down to have a word with Mr. James.

She was startled when she bumped into him. He had wrapped his arms around her so she would not fall. “Miss Philips you are the most ungainly person I ever met.” He smiled at her his eyes boring hers.

He had the most beautiful smile she thought as she looked at him. She then remembered why she wanted to speak to him, “May I please have a word with you.” She said pulling a way.

“Yes… my office.” He said as he removed his hat and gloves.

Anne followed him into his office. “I will make this short.” She said feeling uncomfortable in his office. She looked back to the portrait of his dead wife. She looked so happy, she wondered just how Mr. James would have been back then.

“Today I am in a wonderful mood Miss Philips take all the time you want,” he said as he poured himself a drink.

“I want to know why you sir had the audacity of writing to Lady Russell and give ill word of me?” she took to a deep breath and looked at him.

“Oh right I forgot about that!” he said still in a very good mood. “Well if I remember correctly Miss Philips we have contract, you are Fanny governess and you cannot go on advertising yourself. I should ask you why you so boldly decide to advertise yourself. Have I not given you food, a place to stay, and good commodities?” his voice suddenly became enraged.

Anne felt the tears coming down her face, “Yes you have sir… but your hospitality has been futile! I pray to say that a dog has more affection then you good sir! I feel unappreciated and I have not seen or heard of any praise for the work I have done with Fanny. I feel that you do not like my work so I have decided to go…”

“You cannot,” Alexander said. “We have a deal thirty pounds a year…”

“Yes we did and I have tried but I will not stay here another day! Keep your money!” Anne said curtsying as she walked out of the office.

“MISS PHILIPS!” she heard Mr. James scream as she ran up to her room. She did not waste time in getting her belongings.

********

“Please child I pray you wait till morn.” Mrs. Potts told her as she followed her out of the house.

“I cannot stay one more day here,” Anne said smiling at Mrs. Potts. “Will you give this letter to Fanny?”

“I will,” Mrs. Potts said as she took some money out of her pocket. “Here dear you might need this.”

“I cannot accept this from you…” Anne said refusing to take it.

“Yes you can,” Mrs. Potts put it in her hands. “You just have to walk two miles down the pathway and the post will pick you to take to Lime and from there where ever you want to go.”

“Thank you Mrs. Potts.” Anne hugged her and grabbed her one bag.

Anne began to her walk to the where she would take the post. She was homeless and didn’t know where she would go but she would not endure another day at Longborn. She turned to look once more at the place she had once thought would be her opportunity.

******