- Text Size +
“Miss Philips.” Anne jumped when she heard her name.

She sighed in relief when she spotted the tall figure, it was Mr. Carter. “Mr. Carter.”

“I had to come to talk to you when I heard you were leaving Longborn. I know you may not know me well but I have come to appreciate our talks. Having said that I must confess that my feelings towards you Miss Philips are more than one of a friend, I would want nothing more than to make you my wife.” Mr. Carter smiled as he finally confessed his true intentions.

“I good sir can only say that I am honored to know that you have such feelings and apologize for feeling none toward you in such manner. Mr. Carter you are a well brought up man and as such you deserve the best… I am an orphan with no money or any acquaintance with importance. I am sorry to have to decline your offer and again extend to you my friendship. I only hope that you take it for you have been a great friend since I have met you.” Anne said feeling horrible as she saw the look of disappointment on Mr. Carter’s face.

“Am I not suitable for you? Miss Anne I will not care what anyone thinks of my choice in bride and I intend to make you the happiest woman in London and all England. But… I do understand and only wish that you do keep contact with me by letter. Maybe as our friendship develops you will get to see me in the way I see you.” Nicholas said handing her a letter… he vowed to her and walked away. He felt wounded but he understood and as a gentlemen he knew he should not persist for Miss Philips was young she might change her mind as she learned more about the world.

Anne put her hand to her heart feeling retched for what she had just done. But the truth was she did not feel anything more for Mr. Carter than one felt for a dear friend. So there she stood feeling mad at herself for making Mr. Carter feel sad and good about finally leaving Longborn.

Even if deep down inside she felt horrible. Something pulled her back to Longborn and she knew it was not only Fanny Collins. She was just to hurt to admit that deep down inside Sir James had in someway captivated her.

*******

Anne was tired as she crossed a hill, she had been walking for sometime. She had been dropped off by post just outside of Lime. She had decided to walk and was now regretting it. She had yet to find anyone or town.

She knew it was getting late and soon she would need to stop and rest. She held to her stomach that was pleading for food, that is when she saw the small house just down the hill.

As she walked faster she realized there were more houses, she smiled she had made it. She needed to find a job or somewhere to spend the night at the most. As she finally made it to the dirt path that led to the town she bumped to an old man.

“Good sir,” She curtsied before speaking again. “Will you happen to know help is wanted? I am a hard worker and will work for just a place to stay.”

“Young lady this town is no good for that, but if you walk down this road you will find the orphanage they might feed you.” He vowed as he continued his path.

She felt her heart break but for now she had no choice but ask for mercy at the orphanage. So she began her walk, her stomach still very demanding as they passed a bakery.

********

“Please do not cry,” Anne looked up to see a young woman looking at her. “Why are you so sad?”

“I don’t have anywhere to go and I have no more money to leave elsewhere,” Anne cried as she remembered the way the owner of the orphanage had treated her. “I can work I have experience in teaching.”

The young woman smiled and held out her hand, “Well first why do we not take you out of the rain…” she took her hand and together sharing the young ladies umbrella they walked down the dirt road. “I’m Grace Johnson, my sister, brother and I share a parsonage just up this road. It is not the very glamorous but it is warm and we love company.”

“Anne Philips.” Anne introduced herself as she continued to follow her. “Thank you.”

“Oh you do not have to do that,” Grace gave her a smile. “Look up there that is our home.”

Anne smiled it looked very cozy, “It is lovely.”

“Wait till you meet everyone.” Grace said as they made haste to get to the house.

Upon arrival Grace yelled, “Lydia, Robert, Mrs. Greene!”

“Goodness child you are soaked,” an elder lady said pausing when she saw Anne.

“Mrs. Greene meet Anne Philips… I found her crying in town. She might need a good meal…” Grace said looking toward Anne.

“Oh well hello child, I will get you a nice bowl of soup. But first you two must get out of that clothes.” She ordered.

“Yes we shall,” Grace said just as her brother and sister came from wherever they were. “Oh Robert, Lydia… I want you to meet Anne Philips.”

Robert vowed and smiled, “Where did you find her she looks exhausted.”

“In town she was crying… she has no place to go.” Grace said looking at Anne sympathetically.

“Well let us get her in some dry clothes and fed… for now.” Lydia said smiling at her.

Anne couldn’t be more grateful as Lydia lent her some of her clothes. Soon she was in the dinning room eating a very delicious soup with soft warm rolls.

*****

Sir James was in the worst temper since Miss Philips departure. That he had finally come t the conclusion that it would be best to send Fanny to London to a school. So he got the paper work ready for that.

Soon after her departure his friends had also left and so now he was trying to get everything ready for his own departure and of course Fanny. “Sir there is this man wanting to speak to you. His name is Mr. Kevin Richardson.” Mrs. Potts announced as she walked in his study.

“Well let him in…” He said in frustration and soon in came in a tall man with piercing green eyes. “How may help you sir?”

“Well Sir James I am here in a urgent matter from the man who hired me. I am a lawyer and good friend of Mr. William Johnson he has been in search of his long lost niece a young woman by the name of Anne Philips. She had been sent to an orphanage after his sister had passed away and he did not know till now that little Anne had survived. His wish now is to find her and let her know that she does have family. It is of urgency though because Mr. Johnson is bedridden with consumption and wishes to see her. As I began to trace his sisters whereabouts I came to the orphanage where Anne had been taken too… but I was told she was hired by you sir as a governess. I wish to see sir and ask for permission to go see her uncle.” Mr. Richardson explained.

Sir James smiled bitterly, “I hate to deny you such wish Mr. Richardson but had you come a few days earlier you would have found Miss Philips here. Now though I do not know where she is… she left this home and not in very good terms. I hope you find her for her uncle’s sake.” He stood up and vowed. “Have a nice day.”