- Text Size +
Chapter Nineteen – Two Men and a Baby: Operation Find Rochelle and Liv (As Told by Nick)

“She hung up on me! She fucking hung up on me!”

“Who?”

“Rochelle!”

I had been in the middle of feeding Brooklyn when the doorbell rang. She was still sucking greedily on her bottle as AJ walked in looking extremely pissed.

“Is she here?” AJ had said, brushing past me.

“Well, hello,” I said, closing the door behind him. “What a nice surprise.”

“Is Rochelle here?” AJ repeated.

“She was here,” I said. Brooklyn got the last drop of milk and spit the nipple out. She let out a warrior cry that would have made Xena jealous. I set the bottle on the end table and placed her up on my shoulder for a burping. “Rochelle and Liv went clubbing.”

AJ turned to look at me.

“Seriously? Ugh, I can’t believe this. First she screams at me and takes off across the country and now she’s out getting drunk.”

I watched him dig around in his pocket. A second later he had a cigarette stuck in his mouth and was flicking his lighter.

“Uh, excuse me,” I said. I yanked the cigarette out of his mouth.

“You’re in the no smoking section dawg,” I said tapping the end of the cigarette against his forehead. “I’ve got a baby here.”

AJ threw his hands up in the air. “Ugh.”

He grabbed the cigarette back and headed outside. From the front window I could see a stream of smoke wafting through the air. Five minutes later he was back inside and much calmer. The nicotine had kicked in.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“I should ask you the same thing. How did you get stuck being Mr. Mom?”

I rolled my eyes. “I didn’t get stuck being Mr. Mom. It’s called parenting.”

AJ sighed. “I wouldn’t know about that. We can’t even seal the deal.”

“What?”

AJ shook his head. “Never mind.”

AJ quickly gave me the brief version of what happened. Rochelle had yelled at him for no good reason and taken off after having a temper tantrum. AJ had hopped a flight and was coming to kiss and make up. Now all we had to do was find them.

I knew the second Liv said hello that she was drunk. I had only seen her tipsy once before. She made a cute drunk. Unfortunately, she was now a cute drunk out on the town with guys who would just love to take advantage of that cuteness.

I was the only one that could take advantage of her. I sighed.

“Okay, since she hung up on you I think we’re going to have to go look for them. They’re drunk so they’re not moving fast. I’m sure they went downtown so they could bar hop. Let’s just go take a look.”

“Sounds good,” AJ said, rubbing his goatee. I held out Brooklyn; he looked at me in surprise.

“What?”

“Hold her. I’ve got to get a diaper bag.”

“We’re taking her?”

“Liv’s mom has a date. Yes, we’re taking her.”

I passed Brooke to AJ and ran upstairs. Liv always packed the diaper bag; I had no clue what she put in it. I stood holding the light pink bag with butterflies on it feeling a little dumbfounded. Two years ago the room had held nothing but a collection of Playboys and a dartboard. Now I was my daughter’s bedroom.

Weird.

I stuffed a few diapers and wipes into the bag and headed back down. The bag felt much lighter than when Liv packed it, but I couldn’t imagine anything else I needed. I didn’t think our trip would take too long. AJ and I never had a problem finding drunk girls, haha.

I heard AJ singing as I hit the bottom steps. I smiled to see him holding Brooke like she was a piece of glass, a goofy smile lighting up his face as he sang softly.

“Hey, you ready?” I asked.

He looked up in surprise. His demeanor changed back to “bad-ass” AJ mode.

“What? Yeah. Let’s roll.”

I took Brooklyn from him and we headed out to my car. I got Brooke buckled into her car seat. AJ looked over my shoulder.

“Dude, that looks complicated.”

“Nope, it’s easier when she’s not kicking, but I know how to distract her.” I pulled out one of her bath mitt puppets and began to dance it in front of her. While her eyes followed the dancing duck, I finished strapping her in. I set the duck down on her lap and closed the door. AJ was looking at me with a smile.

“What?”

“I’ve never seen you distract a girl with a duck.”

I laughed. “There’s a first time for everything.”

We headed towards downtown Tampa. I tried not to think of how much trouble two drunken women could get into without someone sober along. The phone call Liv had gotten from Jess played through my mind. I had told her not to worry, but here I was doing exactly that. If Hunter was back in town and got to her first…

“Slow down,” AJ said. I glanced at the speedometer and slowed my pace. I didn’t need to be arrested. Again. My mug shot would haunt me forever.

I drove into the midst of downtown. I knew exactly which corner was overrun with night clubs and bars. Our first stop was Club Underground. I pulled to a stop.

“Go in and see if you can find them,” I told AJ.

“Aren’t you coming?”

“I have a baby in the car!”

“Oh, right, right.”

I dropped him off and circled the block, keeping my eyes open for a little thing with orange hair and my curvaceous fiancée.

At least she had been curvaceous. Her stupid diet was making her look too thin. Now I knew what all the fans were talking about when they had told me my face looked gaunt when I was with Lauren. I had gained back some weight between the pregnancy and being off tour, but I still felt great. Now I just needed to get Liv to eat something besides lettuce.

On my third trip around the block I saw AJ emerge empty handed. I pulled up and he got in.

“No luck?”

“Not unless you count the two phone numbers girls slipped in my back pocket,” he said with a smirk. He took out the pieces of paper, balled them up, and dropped them out the window.

Out next stop was the Spice Lounge. AJ once again got out and I circled the block. It was a hot and humid night. Even with the air conditioner on, the inside temp of the car was oppressive. On my second trip around the block, Brooklyn began to babble crankily.

On my fourth trip around I was beginning to think that AJ might have found them since he was taking so long. Then I saw him walk out. He was alone. I double parked, but instead of getting in, he motioned for me to roll down the window.

“What does Liv’s ex look like?” he asked.

“Why?”

“Is he a fat ass with red hair?”

“That sums it up pretty well.”

“He’s in there asking around about Liv.”

“What?” Without realizing it I unbuckled my seatbelt and slid out of the car.

“Dude, you’re parked illegally.”

“Get in and drive around,” I said.

“What if Brooke needs something?”

“I won’t be long.”

AJ slid up into the seat and took off. I wound my way through the crowd. I was sick of Hunter meddling in our life. He was the one that had fucked up and drove Liv away. Now he was regretting it.

I wanted to give him something he’d really regret. My hand clenched into a fist.

It didn’t take long before I spotted him. He was chatting up a leggy blonde. I came up behind him to overhear his conversation.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen my wife in ages. She left me and my little girl without even a note. I’m trying to find her so my little girl can have both of her parents.” He held out a picture of Liv that must have been taken by one of those celeb magazines.

I snorted. Hunter turned around; he seemed surprised to see me.

“I guess the restraining order wasn’t a big enough hint that you aren’t welcome down here?” I asked. I had height and muscle over him, but he had bulk. He straightened up and glared at me.

“I’m just having a fun night on the town.”

The leggy blonde stared at me as if trying to place me and then fell back into the crowd. I cracked my knuckles and plucked the picture from his grasp.

“This is harassment,” I said, shaking the picture. “You have no reason to get involved in her life and she wants you to leave us alone. How hard is that?”

“You’re not married yet,” Hunter replied. I laughed.

“Oh, you think she’s going to run back to you?” I asked scornfully. “Hell, even your baby momma can’t stand you. She called Liv and warned her that you were coming down here.”

“What? Jess?” Hunter said. “She has no idea why I’m down here.”

I grabbed onto his shirt, yanking him close. “She mentioned something about a baby. I swear to god that if you fuck with Liv or my daughter I will kill you.”

Hunter didn’t bat an eye. “Now I see where your brother gets it.”

My blood ran cold.

“What? What about my brother?”

Hunter pulled away from me and laughed. A crowd of people pushed their way between us up to the bar. The last vision I saw of Hunter was of him running his finger along his neck and then pointing at me.

This couldn’t be good.

With new resolve to find Liv and Rochelle, I did another quick scan of the club and then went back outside. AJ was idling at the corner. He waved me over and rolled down the window.

“Get in, I found them,” he said. I hopped into the passenger seat. “Where?”

AJ drove about three blocks over. Rochelle was smoking outside of a tattoo parlor. Liv was slumped on the ground beside her. I thought she was singing, but I couldn’t be sure.

“I wanted backup before I approached them,” AJ said. “Ro hasn’t had a cigarette in forever. The nicotine’s probably given her the strength of ten men.”

AJ pulled up to the curb and we got out. Rochelle watched us under heavily lidded eyes. AJ walked up and plucked the cigarette from her hand and touched her cheek.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. I didn’t know what he was sorry about, but obviously she did. She threw her arms around him and began to cry.

I just wanna take you home / we can make a story of our own / please don’t get me wrong / I just wannaaaaaaaa

I knelt down next to Liv. She stared up at me. A huge lopsided grin lit up her face.

“You’re Nick Carter,” she said goofily. Her fingers grabbed my shirt. “I’mma gonna marry you.”

“Yes you are,” I said. “But I think you’ve had too much to drink.”

She shook her head. “Nu-uh. Just one…or two...or three….” She started with two fingers then continued to add until she held up both her hands. I scooped her up.

“Are you going to take advantage of me?” she asked hopefully. She smelled like a living liquor bottle. I don’t know how women ever found me sexy when I was plastered.

I looked over at AJ. He had Rochelle’s face cupped in his hands, kissing her passionately. The rest of the street was deserted, but I still had a bad feeling.

“J, we need to get out of here,” I said tensely. He looked over and nodded.

I carried Liv to the car and climbed in the backseat with her. AJ helped Rochelle into the passenger seat.

As soon as I sat down Liv looked at me. She sighed dramatically.

“You’re so sexy. I don’t know why I ever liked Brian. That’s like enjoying chocolate sprinkles when you can have a whole jar of hot fudge.”

AJ began to laugh. Rochelle’s head was already resting on her shoulder; she was asleep. I felt Liv’s hands slide under my shirt. I grabbed her hands and rested them on her lap. Her face buried in the crook of my neck. Out of the corner of my eye I glanced over at Brooke. She was wide awake. In that second I felt the enormity of responsibility. Even the thought of potential wild sex with a drunk Liv wasn’t helping me at the moment.

“Hey, was I right?” AJ asked as he eased into traffic. “Was that her ex?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“Did you put him in his place?”

I looked out at the night feeling the same chill I had experienced when Hunter had mentioned my brother. It was the second time in a week that Aaron had been mentioned.

“No,” I said quietly. “I think he put me in mine.”