- Text Size +
~ 27 ~

Something Like That…



“Why did you do that?” I screamed at Nickolas who was holding my arm so tightly I was getting pins and needles. “We need to go back and get them!” I tried to break free of his grasp but wasn’t having any luck.

He pulled me over towards the end of the car and then we sat down on the two empty chairs right by the back door. “Let go of me! I said we have to go back and get them!!”

“Look, I know you’re mad at me, I get it. But, you have to stop yelling because you do not want to attract attention to yourself!”

“Maybe I should attract attention to myself. I mean you did just kidnap me!” I tried to stand up and was promptly pushed back down, his grip on my arm getting even tighter.

“I’m not kidnapping you. I am taking you to your family, just like I said I was going to do.”

“You left my friends behind! What if those two guys catch up to them?”

“It’s not them they want, it’s you. Your friends will be fine.”

“Why did you do that?”

“Because that’s what I was told to do.”

“What? My father would never tell you to do that!” I tried getting up again, this time kicking him hard with my heel, but to no avail. He managed to keep a hold of me and he wasn’t letting go.

“Andrew, to protect you, your family would do anything.”

“Stop calling me Andrew, I told you, that’s not my name!” I hissed at him.

“Fine…Nick, then.” He shook his head, “I know you’re mad, but I assure you, if I thought your friends were in any real danger, I wouldn’t have left them there.”

“And why am I supposed to believe anything you say?”

“I guess you don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“Good, then I won’t!”

“Okay.” He shrugged at me as if I was acting like an irrational child.

I thought about screaming for help, after all I was just a kid, right? But for some reason, I decided not to do that. The people riding in this car with us didn’t seem like they would have even cared one way or the other. I mean when I was going crazy banging on the doors to open, none of them even bothered to look up or offer a hand. They’d probably be all for Nickolas killing me just to shut me up.

Instead, I tried to remain as calm as possible as a ton of thoughts ran through my head. My training as a CIA agent began to kick in…oh yeah, that’s right. I’m not a CIA agent. I’m a FRIGGIN’ POP STAR! Why the hell should I have to think like a God Damned CIA agent? All I should be worried about is whether or not I get the prize in my Coco Puffs Cereal box or what should I do if a fan rips my favorite shirt. What the fuck is wrong with this scenario? Jesus Christ!! And yes, I’m having a melt down of epic proportions right now.

Stay calm Nick….deep breaths….what would Kevin do?

For one, he wouldn’t have been stupid enough to go with the guy who was tied up in your closet you stupid asshole!

Calm…

I can do this…

I tried to come up with some kind of plan. I needed to figure out a way to double back and get the guys. When the train came to a stop, I’d manage to get out, but how? I glanced over at Nickolas’s shoulder. It was already hurt so maybe all I’d have to do was give him a firm punch or something. That would be enough to loosen his grip on my arm. Once he let up, I’d be able to book it right out of there.

“I see it in your head. You’re trying to figure out a way to get away from me, aren’t you?”

Is he kidding me?

“Please don’t aim for the arm. It already hurts like hell.”

Son of a bitch!

He turned to me, loosening his grip just a little, “Nick, I’m not your enemy. I know it’s probably hard to believe me right now, but I’m telling you the truth.”

“I don’t think I can believe anyone ever again. You’re no better than Max.”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about, you’re just a kid.”

“Well maybe, but even a kid knows that leaving my friends stranded in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard while two men were chasing us makes you an ass! And for your sake, you better hope nothing happens to them!”

“Or what?” He rolled his eyes at me. Do you believe that? I’m the eye roller here, not him!

“Whatever!” I shook my head and just looked away. I swear I saw him smile at me and then shake his own head.

Jerk!

“We are getting off at the next exit.” He said as he stood, pulling me up as he did.

“I thought you said we were heading back into the city.” I asked as we made our way right by the doors as they opened up.

“I just said that for your friends’ benefit. This way that’s where they’ll head. They’ll be safer in the big crowds in Manhattan.” Weird he would worry about their safety.

When we got off the train, there seemed to be fewer people on this platform. That’s when I briefly thought about my own safety. Up until now, I had been so mad at Nickolas for abandoning the guys, I hadn’t even thought about what it might mean for me. If he wanted to, all he had to do was take me around the bend where no one could see and kill me. He could throw me right on the rails if he wanted to. I mean even with an injured arm he was stronger than me.

“What are you going to do to me?”

“You really do have a listening problem, don’t you? Like I have said a thousand times already, I am taking you to your family.”

“If that’s the case, then why didn’t you just tell the guys that?”

“And they would have just let me take you?”

“Probably not.”

“And then they would have been left with Carter, or the guy you call Max. They wouldn’t have been safe.”

“So, you know Max’s real name then?”

He nodded at me and seemed a little surprised, “You knew his name too?”

“Yeah, AJ and I found it.”

“You found his briefcase.” He said as if it should have been obvious to him. That means he’s the one who was looking for it in the first place. We started walking towards the turnstiles, “I have to let go of you while we go through these. If you run, there’s nothing I can do, but it’ll be a foolish move.”

He was right, I could easily make a run for it and then stop one of the transit police for help, but as much as I hated to say it, I still kind of believed the guy. How much of a dumbass am I?

He let go of me and I shimmied through the revolving spikey things. He seemed a little surprised to see me stop and wait from him. “Thanks.” He said, thinking about taking my arm and then stopping himself. “We need to go up the escalators and to our left.”

“Aren’t you worried that Brian or one of the others will call the police now that they think you’ve kidnapped me?”

“Not really.”

“You don’t think they’ll care enough about me to get help?” For some reason that hurt my feelings.

“No, I think they care too much about you to get help. I’m sure at this point they realize we are way beyond the police and even if they did go to the police, what would they say exactly? That the man you kidnapped and tied up in your closet took you?”

I was going to say something, opening my mouth but then closing it when I really had no words. He had a point. “They’re probably worried sick.”

“Yeah, you’re right. But wouldn’t you rather have them worry then be in danger? They were too far into it. We have just taken them out of the equation. It’s bad enough the other one is in the middle of things right now.”

“You mean Kevin?”

“Yes, Kevin.”

“Why did you guys take him?”

“We had to, to keep him safe. It was too risky to let him come back to you guys. There were too many people watching.”

“How did you end up in the closet?” I asked as we made our way out of the subway terminal and back onto the cold streets of New York. Now I really had no idea where we were. I was hoping the snow would have stopped but it was still snowing as intently as before.

Nickolas proved this point but shuddering as he pulled his jacket’s hood up over his head. “We were in Max’s hotel room looking for the briefcase when he came in with your friend. I’m not sure what happened but they were fighting about something and Kevin grabbed a book and hit him in the face with it.”

What is it with Kevin and using books as weapons? “Was it the Bible?”

“It might have been.” He shrugged not sure why that was so important. “We were hiding but then Max pulled out a gun and appeared as if he was about to shoot Kevin. That’s when we stepped in. I pushed Kevin out of the way and was hit by a bullet.” He stopped briefly and took a deep breath. “Shortly after that, Martin came in to help, he managed to knock Max out and then told me to make sure your friend was safe, so I grabbed Kevin and led him out back.” He paused again and then faced me, since the wind was making it harder for us to hear each other, “When I got back to Max’s room, Martin was laying on the floor dead. He hit me from behind and I ended up in the closet. You know the rest.”

“I’m sorry about your friend.” I said sincerely.

“Thanks. He was a good guy.”

“I don’t know what I’d do if that happened to one of the guys.”

He put his hand on my shoulder as we turned the corner and headed down another empty city street, “That’s why we are going to make sure you won’t have to ever find out.”

He picked up his pace as the wind picked up and the snow intensified once again. I don’t know why people say they like snow. It sucks! Of course, I’m kind of guilty of that myself. It’s easy to like snow when you make that statement on a beach somewhere.

“We’re almost there.” He said as he climbed up a few steps of an old apartment building.

“They’re in here?” I asked, feeling butterflies in my stomach.

“No they’re not, but I do know a shortcut and it’ll keep us out of the cold.”

“Fine by me.” I said as he opened the door and led me inside.

It felt nice being indoors and away from the cold and snow. “These buildings are all connected so we can just go through the basement.”

“Sounds good to me.”

We went down the stairs and entered one of the creepiest basements I had ever seen. The sound of a washing machine on the verge of blowing up was chugging as we ventured into the very small corridor. Even though we were inside and safe from the snow, the air in here was just as cool as it was outside and I felt a chill go down my spine.

“When we get to where we’re going, can I call Brian and let him know I’m okay?”

“How about we leave that up to your dad?”

I shrugged, “So, do you work for the CIA too?”

He slowed his pace a little when he noticed I was lagging behind. “No.”

“FBI?”

“No, not that either.”

“Are you a police officer?”

“If you must know, I work for UPS.”

I did not expect that answer. I mean I know that those guys tend to get around but I had no idea they did stuff like this. “I didn’t know they worked with the CIA.”

He laughed at me. Okay, I can see why. But still….

“I have nothing to do with the CIA. I deliver packages for a living.”

“And you do this on the side?”

“Something like that.”

“Something like that?”

“Look, when you are brought up the way I was, you just kind of adapt to certain situations.”

“Like people trying to kill you?”

“Something like that.”

By now we had made our way through about four creepy basements. At least that was my guesstimate based on the amount of chugging washers, dryers and hot water heaters we heard along the way.

“How do you know my dad and my mom when we were little?”

“Less talking and more walking, we’re almost there.”

I decided to stop for a second and when he stopped hearing my footsteps Nickolas turned around looking a little annoyed and impatient. “Andr…I mean Nick, can we please keep going. I’m really not feeling all that great to be honest. I need some medicine and to rest.”

“Just tell me you’re not lying to me. Tell me you’re not bringing me someplace to kill me to turn me over to people who want me dead.”

“I wouldn’t do that.”

We stared at each other for a few minutes. Me with my arms crossed in front of myself and him holding his hurt shoulder, looking tired.

“Okay.” I finally said as I picked up my stride to even his.

We walked the rest of the way in silence as I grew very anxious to see my dad. There were so many questions I wanted to ask him but most importantly, I needed to see for myself that he was alive and well. I’m sure once that happened, I’d get mad and tell him off. But I needed a hug from my daddy first. Did that sound stupid?

We finally stopped at a huge black door that looked like it opened up into a warehouse. “This is it.” He said as he glanced over at me before he opened the door and we went inside.

We climbed the steps and ended up in another old fashioned apartment building. “We’re on the second floor,” He said as he grabbed hold of the banister and starting to walk up the stairs. When we got to the top, he stopped before knocking on the door. “Before, you asked me if I was lying to you and did I want to kill you.”

Uh-oh

I just nodded at him, wondering if I should turn and run back down the steps.

“I would never hurt you, but I didn’t tell you the complete truth either.” He finished his sentence with a knock on the door.

A few moments later we heard a few deadbolts unlatch as the door finally opened. An older man came into view and embraced Nickolas, “So glad to see you are alive. Come in.” He said, looking at me and giving me a small smile as if he knew me but didn’t. Just like the people in Europe who would recognize my face but not exactly sure why.

There was a TV on in the background as Kevin stepped into view. “Nick.” He said and I instantly felt relief. He ran over to give me a hug, “Are you okay?” he asked looking me up and down.

“Yeah.”

“Nick…You need to know…” Before he could say anything else there was another voice. One I hadn’t heard in a long time.

“Son! Thank God you are okay. I was so worried about you!”

I looked up in shock at the sound of the voice. Not the one I was expecting. This voice belonged to the mother I thought had been dead all these years. As she walked towards me, I wasn’t sure what to say or do, so I just stood there. What was even more surprising is when she glanced at me but continued to walk past me and instead hugged Nickolas.

He wrapped his good arm around her but looked at me as he said, “Thanks Mom, It’s good to be back.”
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll try to be back next weekend with another one for you! Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the USA :O)