- Text Size +

~ 38 ~

 

 

 

The Warehouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was walking a little slower then usual as my side still hurt a bit. I placed my hand down on my wound hoping that would help. “You okay?” Kevin asked as Nickolas walked slightly ahead of the both of us.

 

 

 

I nodded, “Yeah, it just hurts a little bit, that’s all.”

 

 

 

“When this is over, we’ll have to get you to a hospital and make a doctor look that over.”

 

 

 

I nodded again, “Assuming we make it out of there alive.”

 

 

 

“Well, aren’t you the voice of doom. Of course we’ll make it out of there alive. Like your brother said, we’re only going to help get the guys to safety.”

 

 

 

I’m not sure why I suddenly felt dread. It seemed like the closer we got to the building, the less hope I had of making it out of this. Something was going to go wrong. Something ALWAYS goes wrong.

 

 

 

When we entered the warehouse both of my parents came running at me. My father getting to me right before my mother, he grabbed me in a huge hug which hurt like hell. “Are you okay?” He asked, pulling away from me and staring at the bloody hole in my shirt.

 

 

 

“I’ll live.”

 

 

 

Next it was my mother’s turn as she reached out to grab me. Her embrace felt good, but still a little confusing and uncomfortable. “I am so sorry you keep getting hurt sweetheart. I promise you that all ends today!” She gave me a kiss on my cheek and smiled.

 

 

 

That was the only interaction we had time for as my father was told that Max and the guys were on the way. “You two stay behind those crates over there, don’t do anything until I signal you.”

 

 

 

He looked over at Nickolas, “You are going to be over there, just across from them.” He pointed at another series of huge crates.

 

 

 

“When I give the signal, you are going to run as fast as you can and get your cousin and the rest of the guys out of the way and then you take them and Nick and get the hell out of here.”

 

 

 

“Wait!” I was annoyed. Kevin wasn’t supposed to have a major part in this play. He was supposed to stand back and do nothing. Why was I the only one not contributing?

 

 

 

Everyone looked over at me. That’s when I realized I had screamed at them. “Can’t I go with Kevin?”

 

 

 

“No, you need to just stay back there.”

 

 

 

“That’s bullshit dad! I want to help!”

 

 

 

“Nick, we don’t have time for this.”

 

 

 

“Make time!”

 

 

 

“You have been injured and we can’t risk you getting more seriously hurt, okay?”

 

 

 

“Not okay.”

 

 

 

“Just listen to your father, Nick!” Kevin said, giving me his trademark, ‘stop acting like a baby’ look.

 

 

 

I know it was dumb to argue because my father was right. I was already injured and truthfully a lot slower moving than I would have liked. I would most likely hinder the rescue attempt than help but I just felt so useless. I needed to do something.

 

 

 

Kevin placed his hand on my shoulder, “Let’s go.” He urged, nodding at my father and mother as they took their places. “It’ll all be fine, Nick.”

 

 

 

“Are you telling me that or yourself?”

 

 

 

“Whoever will listen?”

 

 

 

I had to laugh. I was still kind of hazy about this part of the plan, mainly because I was supposed to be right in the middle of things. I wasn’t supposed to be hiding out like a scared little bitch. Roger taking me to his crazy undead wife screwed all that up. I had forgotten to tell my father about Nicole. I started out from the crates to make my way over only to get pushed back by Kevin. I was so weak I actually fell to the ground with just his touch. Oh yeah, I would be a big help in the rescue attempt. I can’t even stand upright without falling over.

 

 

 

“Where are you going?”

 

 

 

“I need to tell my dad that Nicole is alive.”

 

 

 

“Now’s not the time. The information isn’t going to help any with what needs to be done. Just wait until after. Wait…Nicole as in your dead mother who isn’t really your mother?” He lifted his brow at me in surprise. I was kind of happy he didn’t know about it before hand.

 

 

 

“Yup, the one and only. She’s the reason I was shot.”

 

 

 

“Your brother left that part out. I just figured it was that Roger guy. Why would she try to hurt you?”

 

 

 

I shrugged, there wasn’t really much more to say, so for once I didn’t. He looked at me with a deep sense of pity in his eyes. This was another look I would have to get used to. Let’s call it the ‘poor kid’ look.

 

 

 

About ten minutes after just sitting there doing nothing but waiting, a car pulled right outside the main entrance. I was having a hard time catching my breath because of the nerves hugging my heart so tight.

 

 

 

“I think it’s them.”

 

 

 

I nodded at Kevin and took a few deep breaths. I tried not to think about seeing my friends as potential prisoners. I actually had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that they could actually be tied up and dragged in here, maybe even hurt or unconscious, or even worse, dead.

 

 

 

“What are we doing here anyway, dude? “ AJ’s voice had an instant calming affect on me.

 

 

 

“I told you, we’re meeting up with Nick and Curtis.”

 

 

 

Hearing Max call Roger Curtis made me calm down even more. They had no idea they were actually hostages and Max had no clue that I knew who Roger was. I hope that Brian managed to let Howie and AJ know what was going on, but maybe it was best to keep them out of it and clueless as possible, although they were about to catch on soon enough. The big metal doors creaked when they were opened.

 

 

 

“Curtis, are you here?” Max’s voice echoed through the place sending chills down my spine.

 

 

 

“Must be running late.” Brian answered. I could hear a nervous edge to his voice. I’m sure he was worried about me and my safety.

 

 

 

From where I was sitting, it was a little hard to actual see what was going on but between the huge crates I was able to get a pretty good look at Max at least. He seemed on edge as he kept looking at his watch. By now he had to have realized that something was wrong and his little plan was going south. I was hoping my father would reveal himself before he totally panicked and left. That was the last thing we needed was for Max to leave with the guys.

 

 

 

“Maybe you can give him a call.” That was Howie, always thinking about calling people.

 

 

 

“There’s no need, he’s not coming.” The voice of my father boomed out into the vacant floor before he stepped out from behind a crate.

 

 

 

“Hello Bob.” Max said rather calmly.

 

 

 

“You’re alive! Thank God, Nick thought you were dead!” A very clueless AJ said.

 

 

 

“I am very much alive, but thank you for your concern, AJ.”  

 

 

 

I was listening to my father as if he was some kind of super hero. So calm and collected the way he was talking. “Hello Max, seems we have a lot to talk about, you and I.”

 

 

 

“I guess you could say that.”

 

 

 

“Boys,” He said looking over at Brian, Howie and AJ, “why don’t the three of you go ahead behind those crates, you’ll find your cousin over there.” Well, that wasn’t exactly how the plan was supposed to work but I was happy with the outcome as the guys all came running towards us.

 

 

 

Max never pulled a gun on them; he wasn’t interested in hurting or killing them. That was a plus. When they reached us, there was a lot of hugging but Kevin urged me to stay out of sight of Max. They all saw me and waved, Brian grabbing me in a hug. “I’m glad you’re okay.”  

 

 

 

“Same.” I answered.

 

 

 

“We should probably make our way out of here.” Kevin whispered. It made sense because that was the plan, get the guys and get out of dodge. I really wanted to know what was going on though. I wanted to stay and eavesdrop especially when I heard my mother’s voice enter the conversation.

 

 

 

“Hello Max.” She sounded as calm as my father. These people could not be the same ones who raised me. Those parents were anything but calm. Those parents were known to throw pickle jars at the wall when they couldn’t get them opened.

 

 

 

“Nice to see you alive and well, Jane.” Max sounded genuine when he said that which was equally confusing.

 

 

 

Kevin pat my shoulder, “We should go now.”

 

 

 

“I want to stay.” I insisted. I thought it was only fair that I get a chance to know what this was all about.

 

 

 

Kevin shook his head, “We need to leave.” He pulled me up by my arm in one swoop. Why did everyone feel the need to treat me like a rag doll?

 

 

 

“Should we just go out the way we came in?” Howie asked while looking at the bloody hole in my shirt. A whole new level of concern etched on his face now.

 

 

 

“No, Max didn’t mention Nick being here so I don’t think we should let him see that he is. There’s a door over there.” Kevin said pointing at the exit sign and the place my father indicated we should leave through after getting the guys.

 

 

 

“Are you ready?” Kevin asked me with another one of those warning looks that said in other words, “You aren’t going to stay here and screw things up, are you?”

 

 

 

“I’m ready.” I said with a sigh. I guess when this was all done I’d just have to get the cliff notes version from my parents or my brother.

 

 

 

Kevin put up his fingers and counted to three and then with a nod we went running for the door, not looking back at all. I knew we’d be safe because Max didn’t seem the least bit interested in us at all. We probably could have walked right past him and said excuse me and he wouldn’t have cared. My parents are what he wanted. I shouldn’t have left them alone with him. That was my first mistake.

 

 

 

The second came shortly after we barreled through the door to safety only to find that the exit wasn’t really an exit to outside, but an exit into a smaller room. About three people were waiting for us there. Why on earth would we think Max came alone, I mean we didn’t come alone. That’s why he wasn’t concerned with us; he knew that we’d be taken care of by the people waiting for us to arrive. A few seconds later three more people walked in from another exit door. I briefly caught a glimpse of outside to know that THAT was the real way out.

 

 

 

I recognized most of them. They all seemed to be employed by the hotel we were staying at, right down to the lady who kept trying to feed me muffins.

 

 

 

“Shit.” AJ said under his breath as we all stood against the wall by the door, “What now?”

 

 

 

None of them said anything, it was kind of creepy how they were all just kind of standing there staring at us.

 

 

 

“Maybe if we don’t make any sudden movements we’ll be okay.”

 

 

 

“They aren’t sharks or bears, Howie.”

 

 

 

Kevin took one step forward, “Let us pass.” I’m sure he thought he sounded brave and strong when he said that but from where I was standing, it sounded more like a plea then a command.

 

 

 

“We cannot do that, I’m sorry.” The muffin lady said.

 

 

 

I looked at the men we were up against. None of them were overly huge but I wasn’t sure if we could take them or not. I don’t think Howie had ever fought anyone in his life. AJ is a wuss and Brian, as much as I love the guy to death, he’s Brian. Kevin and I were our only chance and I was a mess.

 

 

 

Still, we had to do something so Kevin and I looked at each other and before I could say ‘let’s do this!’ He was running at one of the guys, fist in the air like Mel Gibson in Braveheart and next thing I knew, all hell broke loose.

 

 

 

Adrenaline is my best friend, next to Brian. I can’t even explain the sudden surge of energy that ran through me the second I saw people running at me knowing their soul purpose was to inflict pain. I actually shoved the first guy pretty hard against the wall, getting out of his way and moving just in time to elbow another in the chest. I have to admit that one was an accident but it still worked.

 

 

 

Kevin punched one of the guys and he landed at my feet with a thump. Yes, he really made that sound as his head hit the ground full force. AJ was ducking behind a box, which was fine with me. Howie however, not sure where it came from but he was right there fighting the guys off, kicking and smacking anyone who came close to him .He was also shouting insults in a very Puerto Rican accent. I wanted to yell, “Hey Howie, please say…say hello to my little friend!” but I felt like maybe this wasn’t the best time for that.

 

 

 

That’s when mistake number three happened. I managed to distract myself so I didn’t see the guy coming at me and by the time I did, it was too late. He had me by the neck and backed up against the wall. I kept struggling to break free but he was too strong, even with both of my hands free I couldn’t get him off of me.

 

 

 

Brian saw this happening and started running towards me which was a good thing because I started to see spots in front of my eyes. He jumped on the guys back but even that didn’t deter the man from letting me go. I was going to die, right here and now. Not by a bullet wound to my side but by being strangled to death.

 

 

 

Just as I thought I was a goner for the second time in one day, Nickolas came out of nowhere and with the help of Brian got the guy off of me. I fell to the floor choking while gasping for air.

 

 

 

Once again my brother managed to kick the asses of anyone in his path. He was like a teenage mutant ninja turtle. Brian and Howie both dropped down beside me, “Are you okay?” Howie asked concerned.

 

 

 

I nodded, not ready to speak just yet. Kevin in the meantime was also doing his fair share of ass kicking, knocking out another person with a punch to the head.

 

 

 

“Remind me never to make him mad.” AJ said, now making his way beside the three of us. “You okay kiddo? I was just about to come and help but I had to deal with her crazy ass!” He said pointing over to the muffin lady who was lying on the ground unconscious.

 

 

 

“Did you hit a girl?” Brian asked as if he was offended by this.

 

 

 

“She was coming at me with a knife dude. Yeah, I hit her. I hit her friggin’ hard!”

 

 

 

Kevin started walking towards us slowly as he wiped blood from his face. I give him credit, he can really fight. I’ll never call him useless again, that’s for damn sure. Now it was just my brother fighting with the one remaining guy.

 

 

 

“Is everyone alright?” Kevin knelt beside me but scanned us all as he said that.

 

 

 

We all kind of just nodded as we watched the last bad guy fall to the ground. My brother standing there just a little out of breath looking over at the five of us all huddled together like a pack of puppies.

 

 

 

I stood up as he walked towards us all and smiled at him as I heard that all too familiar pop. His eyes grew big while mine scrunched closed. By instinct my hands went to my wound before I opened my eyes and realized I was untouched.

 

 

 

Nickolas was still standing in front of me but now there was an ever present red blossom coming from the front of his shirt. Spreading rapidly as he slowly slunk to the floor. Standing behind him was Roger holding a smoking gun.

 

 

 

“Sorry I’m late to the party boys…” Was all he said as I finally had time to understand what had just happened.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

You can thank the snowpocolypse for this extra midweek update! lol hope you enjoy and as always thanks for reading and for the lovely feedback. It helps! Only 2 more chapters to go!