- Text Size +

Friday couldn’t come soon enough. I had taken a day off from work. I needed to deal with Nick as soon as possible. I heard the front door open. Nick walked into the living room where I was sitting waiting for him.

“Why aren’t you at work?”

“I wanted to talk to you.”

“Can’t you give me time to settle in?” He glared at me. I knew he was upset.

“Well it’s kind of hard to talk when the kids are home. I think we need to have this conversation now.”

“Fine.” He sighed and ran his fingers through his spiky hair. He sat on the chair across from me.

I didn’t know how to start this conversation. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say. I stared at him for a minute before I began to speak. “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why don’t you love me anymore?” I sound pathetic. I told myself that I would never be that woman; the one with someone who didn’t love me. I wasn’t the type to beg and plead to keep a man, but this was different. He was my husband.

“I just fell out of love with you. You didn’t do anything wrong. It’s me.” He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Nick, cut the bullshit. That isn’t even an answer. How do you just fall out of love with me?”

“I don’t know. I’m not the same person I was when we fell in love. I just need a break.”

“Is there someone else?” I whispered.

“Are you kidding me?” He yelled.

“Nick, stop yelling at me. You keep giving me these vague answers. I don’t know what to think anymore. I am trying to be the woman you fell in love with, but I don’t know what to do anymore.” I stood up and walked into the kitchen. I couldn’t sit in there with him any longer.

I stood at the sink, doing the dishes. Anything to keep myself from crying. A few moments later, Nick walked into the kitchen.

“Why did you walk away?” He started drying the dishes.

“Nick, I love you. I’m confused about us. We need to work this out.”

Nick grabbed the dish cloth out of my hand and brought me near. His lips were on mine before I knew what happened. His kisses trailed from my ear down to my neck. I forgot about anything else. He took my hand and guided me to the bedroom.

 

~ Later ~

“Ashton, I moving into a condo this weekend.” He kissed my cheek.

“What?” I sat up in bed. Was he joking?

“Ashy, I need time to think about things.”

“Don’t you dare call me Ashy. You’re such a jerk. Fine. Move away from your family. We don’t need you.” I got out of bed and picked up my clothes. I quickly got dressed.

“I just need time. I need to deal with my feelings. I love my kids and will be there for them.”

“You love the kids, but not me. I get it. Please stop throwing it in my face. Rachel and Jackson are going to be devastated. They aren’t going to understand you living somewhere else.”

“I don’t want to leave them, but is it fair to them that I stay here and be miserable?”

“I’m sorry that I make you so miserable. An hour ago you were all over me. How can you make love to me and then tell me you’re leaving your family? I don’t get you.” I walked out of the room. He followed me.

“Would you stop walking away? You know that pisses me off.” He screamed.

“Leave me alone Nick. You better start thinking of what you are going to tell our children about your moving out. I have some things to do. Can you pick the kids up from school? We’ll talk about this later.”

I grabbed my car keys and left the house. I needed to think. My marriage was in shambles. My world was falling apart.

Nick stood in the kitchen. He knew he was a jerk. He couldn’t help how he was feeling. His life was never easy. He glanced at the clock and realized he needed to pick the kids up from school soon. He grabbed his keys and headed out the door. It was going to be a long weekend.