- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty One

I spent half the night pressing a cold wet cloth to Molly's forehead. Somewhere around four a.m. I must have fallen asleep.

I woke up to a face full of hair. At first I was confused. Then the events of last night came rushing back to my mind.

Molly was still asleep. I took my arms from around her and got up. I showered and got dressed. I figured that Nick and Kev would probably be ready to get all the kids back to their parents. I knocked on Howie and Leigh's door. It took a couple seconds, but the door opened and there stood Howie. He was still in his boxers.

"I think I'm going to go pick up the kids," I said. "Are you ready?"

Howie rubbed his face and turned around. When he looked back he was grinning.

"Yeah, we're ready."

I moved on to Brian's door. I knocked once. Twice. Finally on the third knock, the door opened barely a sliver.

"Yeah?"

"Bri, I'm going to pick up the kids. Are you ready?"

"Uh....."

His face disappeared. Leighanne's face appeared in the doorway.

"We're going to need another hour. Or two."

I had no fucking clue what those two were doing, but I had a feeling that they were going to have to say a whole lot of Hail Mary's.

"I'll keep Baylee and Kay with me," I said. Leigh flashed a smile. "Thanks!"

The door closed.

I walked back to my room and gently nudged Molly. She opened one beautiful chestnut eye.

"I'm going to go pick up Shelby and the babes," I said quietly. "You okay?"

She sat up and tried to smooth down her hair. It was an impossible task. She glanced at the clock.

"Yeah. Oh my god, I did't know it was so late. Or early."

I laughed. "Don't worry about it. I'll call you and let you know when we're in the parking lot. You can meet us in the lobby."

By the time I got to Kev's, Nick and Liv were ready to go. We got all the kids loaded up and we headed back to the hotel. Molly, Howie and Leigh met us in the lobby. Shelby quickly ran to Molly. I doubt the poor kid had ever spent the night away from her mom before.

"Baylee, you and Kay can hang out with us for awhile," I said. I picked up Joe and Ally's car seats. Nick glanced over at me in confusion.

"Where's Bri?"

I smirked.

"Later."

I got Baylee, Kay, and Shelby settled in front of the TV with an old episode of Hannah Montana. While they were preoccupied, I checked Joe and Ally over carefully. They were perfect. I kissed their little stomachs and felt my heart jump as they both smiled at me. Ally's little arms even reached out for me.

It was like Ro was reaching out to me through her.

That was a nice thought.

-------------------------

Kevin and Addy's wedding was beautiful, but I couldn't help but think back to my own wedding. It seemed so long ago, but in reality it would have only been two years at the end of October.

Ro had left this earth way too soon.

After the ceremony and a minor incident involving Shelby chucking a whole hard bag of birdseed at Kev's head, we ate dinner. Then the happy couple had their first dance.

Molly watched Addy and Kevin with her chin cupped in her hands. A little smile played around her lips. The lips I had almost gotten to kiss.

"Did you enjoy the trip?" I asked. She laughed softly.

"I did."

Towards the end of the evening, Kevin pulled us guys aside.

"I want to serenade the girls," he said.

"You do realize that you're going to get lucky tonight without having to score brownie points, right?" I asked. Kev laughed.

"I know I don't need brownie points," he said lightly. "But some might not hurt you."

He had a point. We lined up five chairs. Kev sat Addy in the middle seat. She beamed at him.

"There's a seat for you," I told Molly. She looked at me.

"Me? Why?"

I smiled. "Because I don't want to sing to a folding chair."

Molly looked around. Shelby and Mason were huddled under a picnic table, their heads bent together.

"She's staying out of trouble," I assured her. I didn't believe it for one minute, but if it got her into the chair...

It got her in the chair. I grabbed a wireless mic and leaned towards Howie.

"What are we singing?"

"Back at One. Brian McKnight."

It was like we were on Don't Forget the Lyrics again. I wracked my brain hoping that I could remember all the words.

Once the music started, I didn't have to worry about it. The words floated to my mind. Nick sang to Liv like it was 1980 and he was the lead singer of Poison. It kind of reminded me of that one video we did, Just Want You to Know. That was the LAST time Nick got to plan a video.

After awhile I had to block Nick completely out of my mind. I sank down next to Molly and stared up at her.

That was probably a big mistake. Her words from the night before rang in my ears - 'I have a thing for musicians.' She was staring at me like I was a piece of filet mignon.

I don't remember a lot about finishing the song. All I know is that the music stopped, Molly took my hand, I got off my knees and followed her like a puppy dog.

We headed behind the church. Molly looked around. It's weird, but at that moment I could see where Shelby got her spur of the moment-ness, er, her randomness. Molly tested the door to a small little storage shed. There was a padlock. She dropped my hand, knelt down, yanked a bobby pin from her head, and within sixty seconds the door was open.

I was officially turned on.

I followed her into the shed. We didn't say anything; there didn't seem to be a reason for words.

Little slivers of light stole through the cracks in the old boards. Everything smelled slightly damp...earthy.

My arms went around her waist at the same time her arms went around my neck. I couldn't see her eyes and I knew she couldn't see mine. All I could hear was the sound of my own breathing in my ears.

It started off as almost an experiment. Her lips felt like butter against my own. She took a step closer to me; my hands pressed against her hip bone. I deepened the kiss, drawing her into me.

I think it's a bunch of bullshit when women sit around and talk about all of that cupid, fireworks crap. But, I have to admit, this bordered on fireworks.

Her mouth opened just slightly and I took the opportunity to probe into the depths of her mind. I low gutteral moan rose from her throat. Her chest pressed into mine. Slowly my hands started to slide up her body.

I've felt up my fair share of women in my life. I can tell with one squeeze whether I'm dealing with plastic or the real deal. My hands slid up her sides and my right hand took the plunge on squeezed her breaast. Molly was the real deal.

At the exact moment that my hand met her boob, her leg slid between mine. It wasn't a 'knee to the groin for touching my tits' action. It was a 'let me brush against your balls and give you a raging hard on' action. And that's exactly what happened.

Unlike doing things in a closet where you walk in knowing exactly what tools you have to aid you (rods, benches, etc.), I had no clue what wsa in the shed with us. I came up for air and took a tentative step. Molly pulled me in the other direction.

"Tack bench," she whispered. I had no fucking clue what a tack bench was, but any bench was good.

The bench was against the right wall of the shed. She placed her hands on my chest and I went down on it, my back hitting the wall. The whole shed seemed to shake.

Molly's hands went to my shoulders and with a slow precision that would make any man wind up in a puddle of drool, she straddled my waist. My heart pounded in excitement. I didn't know whether I was just going to get another mind-blowing kiss or...something more. My hands ran up her back and tangled into the bottom of her hair. She kissed me hard and pressed down against me.

There was way too many clothes separating us. Her hand tugged at my tie. After playing with her hair, my hands grabbed the bottom of her shirt. I wanted to feel skin against skin.

And that more than likely would have happened. Unfortunately just as I was getting ready to pull her shirt up and over her head, the shed door swung open.

Our secret hiding place had been discovered.