- Text Size +
Chapter Four

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character

I woke up the morning of March 15 feeling as if somehow during the course of the night I had experienced a revelation.

That revelation came in the form of a birthday party.

It had taken me a couple days to realize that even though I was mad at Nick, Liv was still friends with Rochelle. There was no doubt in my mind that she would have gotten an invitation to Brooklyn’s birthday party. And I knew that she would at least make a quick appearance.

It would be my only opportunity to talk to her face-to-face before we left for Japan.

I walked into the kitchen that morning whistling happily.

“Choo’s in a good mood. Dat because this is the last day to see me?”

I shook my head. “That’s never a good thing. You have no idea how much I love you, Reva.”

She waved me off. “Enough of dat lovey dovey talk. Sit and eat some breakfast.”

I was glad I was wearing pants with elastic otherwise I would have had to pop a button my pants. I had eaten more in the past two weeks than I had in a year.

“What choo doing today?”

“Well, I’ve got a rental car being dropped off in about an hour. I’ve got to go pick up a gift and then I’m going to a birthday party.”

Reva frowned. I quickly intercepted.

“It’s one of my…” I hesitated to use the word ‘friend.’ “My colleague’s daughter is turning one. Her party is at the zoo.”

“Choo call me if you need me. I don’t care if you are in China.”

“We’re going to Japan first.”

“Whatever country. Choo have Reva’s number.”

“You’re on my speed dial,” I said with a smile.

She pointed at my wrist.

“Dat’s awfully red.”

“It hurts like a bitch.”

Snap.

“There’s always soap.”

“Forget the soap.”

Reva smiled.

An hour later I stood outside by my rental car. Reva hugged me tightly. I felt tears spring to my eyes.

“Just be strong Alex,” she assured me. “Choo know how to do the right thing.”

She pulled away and placed her hand over my heart.

“Just listen to this.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Step 7 - Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings

It felt weird to be out and about again. I stopped at Target and picked out a huge stuffed giraffe that looked pretty cute. I bought a big pink bow to wrap around its neck and stuffed the whole thing into a huge gift bag. I took off to the zoo with the bag swaying back and forth the entire way there. It was kind of how my stomach felt.

The place was crawling with people by the time I got there. I dropped off my gift and went in search of Rochelle.

It wasn’t hard to spot her. She was the only pregnant woman in the crowd. She was looking around, taking sips of punch from a blue plastic cup. Her left hand rested on her stomach. I was glad to see she was still wearing her wedding ring.

I worked my way to her the long way. I ended up next to her right elbow and she still didn’t realize I was there.

“Ro,” I said quietly.

She turned; her eyes wide in surprise.

“What are you doing here?”

I smiled. “I wanted to drop off a present for Brooklyn.”

“The present table is way over there,” she said, pointing at the table where I had put the giant gift bag.

“I know. I also wanted to see you and talk.”

Ro folded her arms across her chest. “We have nothing to talk about.”

“We have tons to talk about. I don’t want to lose you.”

“Don’t you think you should have thought about that before you rolled around in bed with another woman?”

“Ro, I wouldn’t have done that if you weren’t turning me away.”

“Turn you away? How the hell have I turned you away?”

“You wouldn’t even let me touch you,” I explained.

“AJ, I don’t want anything to happen to the babies.”

I felt myself grow warm. “Pregnant women have sex all the time. Just ask Leighanne…or Leigh..or Liv. Nick and Liv fuck like rabbits.”

Snap.

Rochelle looked at the rubber band.

“What’s that for?”

“I’m trying to quit cussing.”

Her lips curved up and I thought I was going to get a smile. Instead she opened her mouth and inhaled deeply.

“The other girls aren’t like me,” she said sadly. “Why can’t you put my needs before yours?”

“Why can’t you understand that I wanted to be treated like a husband rather than a sperm donor?”

Ro frowned.

“I’ve always treated you like my husband and I wanted children with you. What’s so hard to understand?”

It was my turn to frown.

“Wanted?”

“Hey I didn’t see you sneak in.”

I turned to see Brian standing a couple paces away. I looked at Rochelle to make sure she didn’t run off and then back at him.

“Yeah, I just wanted to drop off a present.”

“Well, it’s good to see you.”

“Thanks.”

“How’s it going Ro?”

“Just fine.”

“You look good.”

Ro smiled. “Thanks.”

Brian hovered for another second. Once he figured out neither one of us were going to rip the other’s head off, he scratched the back of his neck and coughed.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow, J.”

“Absolutely. I’ll be there.”

Brian walked away. I touched Ro’s arm. She didn’t shrug me off, but I felt her tense.

“I know we aren’t going to fix this in a day. But will you at least go to the counselor with me when I get back from Japan?”

She sighed. “I don’t know, AJ.”

I closed my eyes. “If you don’t want to do it for me, then do it for the babies. They deserve two parents, even if I am a fuck-up.”

Snap.

“Would you stop doing that?” Ro said. She turned around and held up my red wrist. She ran her thumb over the skin tenderly. I smiled.

She still cared whether she was admitting it or not.

“Can I at least get a maybe?” I asked.

She looked into my eyes. It had been so long since we had looked at each other; I mean, really looked at each other. I saw her face soften.

“Maybe,” she whispered.

I kissed her cheek. I didn’t want to press my luck.

“Well then, I’ll see you when I get back.”

“Maybe.”

“That’s a start,” I said.

I turned and walked back through the crowd.

The conversation hadn’t been perfect but it held more promise than I expected. I was feeling better about things.

After I got in the car and buckled up, I sat there a second staring up at the sky. It was a perfect clear blue day with lots of lazy fluffy clouds in the sky. I pictured the big guy upstairs chillaxing on a cloud sipping lemonade. It was a hard thing to believe. Instead I turned my head to the empty passenger seat.

“I know I’ve developed a lot of bad habits in life,” I said to the vast nothingness next to me. “But if you could help me eliminate the big ones…the overindulgence in women and the drugs and let me finally have a family of my own I promise I will be the best damn family man you’ve ever created.

Snap.

“And I promise that I’m working on this cussing issue. It’s just fucking hard to quit.”

Snap.

“Son of a bitch!”

Sn—

The rubber band broke in half.

I decided not to read too much into that. Instead I started my car and took off.

I needed more clothes and a good night’s sleep.

A twenty-two hour flight to Japan loomed before me.

I just hoped I didn't have to sit next to Nick.

I was doing pretty well with my program, but forgiveness hadn't completely come to me yet.

Plus more than likely he was going to grab a camera and do something stupid.

I wanted to be a couple seats in front of him when that happened.