- Text Size +
Chapter 3
I walked around the room, feeling her eyes trained on me, although, I never once caught sight of her. I paused, watching as the ball went around the wheel, landing on the popular number and seeing this casino just hand out quite a few thousand dollars. I shook my head, turning to walk away, but almost bumping into a woman.

“Excuse me.” She looked startled for a moment before she smiled.

“No problem. I’m perfectly fine.” Her smile grew bigger as her eyes raked over me. “I’m Joan.”

“Nick. I’m sorry, I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Oh, really, no worries! Unless you want to make it up to me by buying me a drink.” Inside, I had to smirk. If little Miss Theresa wasn’t willing to come out and play quite yet, than I really was guessing I would have to entertain myself.

“I believe I can manage that.” She turned to walk away, but stopped as the woman stood in front of her.

“Joan, I didn’t think I would ever see you here, of all places. My, you look amazing!” I cocked my head to the side, not buying the sweet voice that Theresa just spoke with.

“Why, thank you. I do try.”

“Yes, the young men always keep you looking young. I see you meet my Nick.” Hers? I recalled what she said earlier, but damn, she was serious. And not that I was minding at that current moment.

“Yours? I wasn’t aware he was spoken for, yet, that is.” Theresa’s eyes narrowed at the woman before she walked over to me, sliding her arm along my waist, her body pressed against mine.

“He very much is. I’m sorry.”

“Pity, he would have been fun to play with. Nick, it was a pleasure, although short lived.” I watched as she walked away before I turned questioning eyes to the woman who was still pressing against me.

“A woman you don’t want to get involved with, believe me. We go way back.”

“How far is way back?” Her shoulders shrugged and I knew that was the best answer I was getting out of her for now. “So, are you gonna tell me a little more about yourself.” Her hand slipped around my arm and she led me over to the main bar, shrugging.

“What do you wanna know?”

“First of all, what is he to you?” My eyes strayed to the end of the counter, watched as the tattooed man ordered something and one by one the females flocked to him. Her eyes followed mine and she smiled.

“Are you jealous, Nick?” Well, I didn’t want to deny it, because I was. I mean, he had her, it was obvious. And it was obvious something was there, what though, I wasn’t positive. Her eyes twinkled, as if she could read what my thoughts were.

“No, I’m not.” There it was again, that unbelievable smile.

“Alex and I have an open relationship. We’re not totally tied to one another.” Her body slid closer, her nails running down my arm.

“But you’re a couple?”

“If you want to be technical, yes, I suppose you could define us as that.”

“And yet you want me?”

“More than you know.” She licked her lips, those light brown eyes staring into mine. I brushed the hair back from her face, my hand cupping her cheek. She leaned up, her lips brushing mine. She moaned, her arms wrapped around my neck, her lips becoming urgent, demanding, possessive, all things I loved and all things I was more than willing to surrender to. Breathless moments later, we pulled away. My eyes darted around, thinking someone would be staring, but nope, no one was looking our way. “Here, a lot of things happen that people just don’t care about.”

“What do you mean?”

“No one would look at us. We don’t matter, almost.”

“I never thought…”

“No, your body said it all.” She stood on her toes and pressed her lips to my ear. “I like public displays. Even more here, because people just don’t care what other people do.” She nipped at my lobe, sending multiple shivers down my spine. She smirked as she pulled way, turned her attention the bar tender and ordered two drinks. A few seconds later, the older man placed the drink in front of me. I stared at before turning to her. “It’s a funky color, but believe me, it tastes great.” She picked hers up and took a sip, smiling as the liquid washed down her throat. Well, if I was going to die, it least I had a good life. I made a face before I sipped it, surprised to find it actually tasted pretty damn good.

“And it’s called what?”

“Lover’s bite. Don’t ask what’s in there. I just know it’s good. But come on, I think you need to win a little more money.”

-----
His eyes watched the couple, walking around the casino floor, stopping every so often. He hated questioning her, but damn it, Nick was so young, so…just not what he thought she would like.

“Don’t question her antics.” AJ’s hairs bristled on the back of his neck. He had been warned about Donovan, and that was a man AJ just didn’t like.

“I’m not questioning.”

“I already know she threatened you, her little love slave.” AJ growled low in his throat, letting the man next to him know he was not happy. “Has she told you what she wants?”

“Not yet. She says she will when the time is right.”

“And who knows when that will be. Theresa is powerful, but she’s also a vampire, shares most of our weaknesses.” AJ turned to Donovan, one black eyebrow raised up in a silent question.

“What is your point?”

“Help us over throw her!”