- Text Size +

Chapter 3 - The Show Must Go On

They arrived at the MEN Arena which was in Manchester city centre in no time at all, it was just a short ride away from The Malmaison Hotel where they were staying. As they climbed out of the shiny black Volkswagen people carrier, flanked by a couple of their security guys, they were met by fans who’d been sitting awaiting their arrival for god only knows how long.

“Hi Nick, can I get a photo with you please” asked a good looking blonde in a tightly fitted black t-shirt.

“No problem“ Nick replied and thought maybe there were some perks to this time switch nonsense after all, he sure could do with getting laid and he reckoned there would be plenty of girls up for it.

It had been a long time, hell he wasn’t even sure he could remember the last time, it was that long ago. The ladies were hardly throwing themselves at his forty year old fat assed self in 2020, but now, oh boy, now he was gonna get some while he could. He licked his lips at the thought of it and then posed for the photo. Maybe he’d see her later.

After posing for a few photos and signing a few autographs they told the fans they had to get inside and get ready for the show and that they hoped they would all enjoy what they saw. The blonde looked at Nick seductively and said she already liked what she saw.

“Well I guess I know what you’re doing after the show” chuckled AJ as they walked inside “or maybe that should be I know WHO you are doing after the show!”

Nick laughed along with AJ, maybe he was right, maybe he would be taking that blonde chick back to his room later, why not, he was young, free and single and intended to make the most of it. He would probably wake up back in the real world tomorrow and there’d be no women throwing themselves at him then! He decided to just go with the flow and see where this ride took him.

As Brian and Howie had already left before Nick had a chance to see them at the hotel, seeing them again after so long was a strange experience. He had to stop himself from gasping out loud, they looked so young, so fresh faced, it was certainly going to take some getting used to. In Nick’s mind, Brian was now a bald forty four year old with crow’s feet around his eyes, although still in pretty good shape overall. Howie still had the thick head of hair, but in the future it had a sprinkling of grey. It was weird for Nick to see his friends like this.

“So good to see you both” he hugged them in turn and then realised they’d think he was a bit odd. He couldn’t help it though, it had been so long.

“Let’s get to it then” Howie suggested and then spied the snack table which had been set up for them.

Brian and AJ began doing their warm up vocals in the dressing room, whilst Howie and Kevin took a look at the food and drink which had been set out for them. They always liked to have a selection of nibbles for before and after the show, nothing extravagant just things like chocolate bars, fresh orange juice, tea, coffee, selection of fruit, raw vegetables with dips, bottled water (for during the show) and local beer (for after the show). Nick stood there like a spare part for a few moments, watching and remembering it all, he remembered how he used to feel before a show, all psyched up and ready to rock, he’d have to try and muster some of that enthusiasm now if he was going to get through this.

“You warming up dude? Or can you still not remember where you are?” Howie teased and bit into a carrot stick, as Nick shook his head and laughed “yeah, AJ told me about what happened earlier, you must‘ve had some night”

“I’d just woke up, y’know how it is D” Nick said and shrugged his shoulders, hoping that would be explanation enough.

“No, I don’t. I don’t get myself into the mess you do, I know when to stop and when to say no. Just be careful OK” Howie warned, not wanting to get too into this right now, but to let him know he was there for him if he needed him.

Now how do those songs go again?

Nick thought about it for a few moments, willing the words to return to his brain, if only he had more time to get to know them all over again, he knew he’d pick it up in no time at all. He took a look at the set list and sighed…

The Call

My Beautiful Woman

More Than That

Climbing the walls

Shape of my heart

Don’t want you back

The one

I still

I want it that way

Show me the meaning

Larger than life

Siberia

We’ve got it going on

All I have to give

As long as you love me

I’ll never break your heart

Just want you to know

Crawling back to you

Drowning

Quit playing games

Never Gone

Weird World

Incomplete

Everybody (Backstreet’s back)

How in hell was he going do it? Obviously there were some songs he‘d never forget, he‘d performed them so many times he could probably sing them in his sleep, but there were others that he could only remember bits of. He was doomed for sure.

Oh fuck

He’d never pull this off, they’d all think he’d lost it.

Come on Carter, think, think, think. How hard can it be?

He began to wish he was back in 2020, in his stinking shit hole of a trailer, at least then he wouldn’t have to worry about anything, or disappoint anyone - there was no one to disappoint. He needed a drink, a proper one, like whiskey or vodka, not the couple of cans of beer he‘d sneaked. There was no way he’d get his hands on that stuff now, there was no time and the others would freak if they caught him. He’d have to think of something to get out of performing tonight, he needed to buy himself some time, familiarise himself with the old songs again. He’d have to tell them he was unwell, there was nothing else for it. He couldn‘t perform what he didn‘t know.

“Listen, guys, can I get your attention for just a moment?” Nick asked and looked at the four band mates around him. He had their attention, now what was he going to tell them?

Think Carter.

“We’re all ears” Brian said and sat down and popped a piece of apple into his mouth. Nick was still having a hard time adjusting to this young Brian…to any of them really, it was all a bit Twilight Zone.

“I’m not sure I feel up to performing tonight, I kinda feel like shit, bad throat…” his voice trailed off as Kevin looked at him horrified, his bushy brows almost joining together as one.

“Too much boozing, that’s what’s wrong with you. I’m telling you guys, we can‘t go on like this” Kevin was fuming as he turned away from Nick and faced the rest of the guys “I can’t stand it anymore”

“Kev, come on man, chill” Brian said hoping to clam his cousin down.

Kevin ran his hands through his hair in frustration, how could no one else take this seriously? This wasn’t a game, this was what they did for a living. He was going to have to sit Nick down and have a proper talk to him seeing as no one else seemed willing to tackle the matter. They’d gone through exactly the same thing with AJ a few years before. Kevin didn’t want to see another of his friends self destructing like that.

“Let’s talk about this later, we don’t want to be arguing before a show” Howie said calmly, trying to ease the tension between the youngest and oldest members of the band.

“I’m not over reacting, someone has to take control of the situation, things cannot go on as they are” Kevin said “but you‘re right Howie, now is neither the time nor the place“.

“I’m right here y‘know, I‘m not some fucking little kid, so stop treating me like one” Nick announced.

“Well stop acting like one Nick, look let’s drop it for now, I don’t want us to fight, especially when we‘re on stage in less than an hour” Kevin said and walked away.

After a couple of minutes of awkward silence, things settled down back to normal, the vocal warm-ups resumed and Nick found himself warming up too, “I tried to go on like I never knew you, I’m awake but my world is half asleep, I pray for this heart to be unbroken, But without you all I’m going to be is incomplete”. He supposed after so many years touring with these guys, it was bound to come back to him.

“See, you can do it, nothing wrong with your throat” AJ whispered to Nick, quiet enough so that only the pair of them could hear.

“I know, I guess I was just feeling rough” Nick said, hoping that the rest of the songs on the set list would come back to him as easily as this had.

“I’m telling you man, you gotta stop it with that shit, it’s fucking with your mind” AJ warned. Nick tried to think back, was he really that into drink and drugs in his twenties? Did it really have such an effect on the band? Or was this just down to his time lapse?

“AJ, do you really think I have that much of a problem?” he asked his friend for clarification. As far as Nick could recall, life in 2005 or thereabouts had been great. He’d been young, free and single and had everything a guy could possibly want in life.

“Yeah, as someone who used to have a drink and drug problem, I can see it as plain as day Nick, you need to get help before it gets out of hand. I’ll help y’know, if you want it that is” AJ said sincerely.

“Thanks bro” Nick said and hugged his friend. He had no intention of giving anything up just yet though. He might wake up back in 2020 tomorrow and regret this wasted opportunity.

“Come on, we better get ready, we’re on soon” AJ said.

Fuck, I forgot about dancing, did we even dance on the Never Gone tour?

Nick thought back and knew that it wasn’t as choreographed as previous tours had been, but he knew there was bound to be some dancing along the way. They couldn’t perform the oldies like Everybody and not do the dance routine! He’d just have to improvise and hope no one realised he had no idea what the hell he was doing.

They all huddled together and said a few words before leaving the dressing room and walking down the corridor which would take them backstage, they could hear the fans chanting their names and it made them proud to be Backstreet Boys, to know that even though they’d been gone a few years - more than a few for Nick, the fans still loved them.

“This is it, good luck everyone” Kevin said as they took their places ready for the opening number. They were stood on a part of the stage which had been lowered to below stage level, so that it would look as if they’d risen out of the ground.

The floor rose and the lights went up, the fans began to cheer and go wild, there was no hiding now. They walked down the steps and took their places at the microphones, as the opening song, The Call, began.

Oh shit, there’s dancing, don’t just stand there you fool, watch what they’re doing.

“Nick? Come on man” Brian whispered away from the mic, referring to Nick’s lack of movement.

“Sorry” Nick replied and tried to keep up and sing at the same time. It didn’t look all together, but he thought he did a pretty damn good job considering. He was really getting into this and by the end of the song began to lose some of the nerves that had been plaguing him all evening. In fact he’d go as far to say that he was enjoying himself, he felt good, he’d forgotten how much he used to love performing, the way he used to flirt with the crowd and be this oh so confident guy. Where had it all gone wrong and could he change it?

He managed to get through the show without any major fuck ups, just a few wrong words here and there and of course, plenty of wrong moves in the choreography. But he was happy with how well he’d coped, in his mind it had been fifteen years since the Never Gone tour. Fifteen years and it had all come back to him like it was only yesterday, well, mostly!