- Text Size +
The blond boy looked around the carnival his parents dragged him to unwillingly. His eyes rolled back in his head as his siblings begged to be taken on the different rides and being shushed by his parents. It was one of the few times his parents took them somewhere where he wasn't preforming but he didn't want to go, he wanted to stay home and play his Game Boy, his friends were all jealous he had one but what they didn't know is he barely got to play.

He looked around the carnival and tried to figure out what he wanted to do, what he could ask to do away from his family. He hoped he would not be hindered with Aaron, he loved his brother but he did not want to be around him today.

He glanced around at the rides, they could be fun, but then he would probably be asked to take one or more of his siblings with him, that would not be fun.

He noticed the rows of games and food tents, inviting, but again he risked a sibling wanting to travel with him.

The stench of the animals was hard to avoid and the were not standing anywhere near the elephants and llamas, he definitely did not want to move closer.

His eyes caught a glint off one of the run down tents, near the back of the carnival. Even from the distance he was at, he could tell the canvas on the tents was worn. They did not look inviting at all, but it could be the one place he could go where a sibling would not want to follow.

“Mom,” He called. “I want to go over there.” He pointed at the tents.

“Those?” his mother asked perplexed. “Are you sure you don't want to go on the rides with your sister?” a hint of pleading in her voice.

He shook his head. “Jane, let him go on his own for a while.” His dad interjected on his behalf. “Meet us at the hot dog stand in one hour.” He told his son, patting him on his head and shoving him on his way.

He moved towards the tents with some apprehension, but curiosity was starting to get the better of him as he saw signs for “freaks” and promises of something he never saw before and would likely never see again. He moved towards the tent with the curiosity behind it's flaps but before he could reach the tent another voice caught his ear.

“Have your fortune told?” a clear voice sounded in his ear. The voice sounded as if it was speaking right into his ear but when he looked towards the voice, she was at least a yard away. He turned away from her and back to his original destination.

“Nickolas Carter, don't you want to know what your destiny will be?”

The sound of his name startled him. “What, how?” he completely forgot about the “freaks” and amazing items in the tents down the row, he needed to know how this woman knew his name.

“Ah so you want to know what your future holds after all.” The woman beckoned him towards her own tent and waltzed inside. Curious, Nick followed the woman and sat down in the chair she indicated was for him. The inside looked as any tent belonging to a fortuneteller might look. Colorful fabric draped around the a table with two chairs sitting in the middle. Nick half expected to see a crystal ball in the middle of the table, but it was not there, instead he spied it on one of the shelves near the back of the tent. On the table was simply a deck of cards.

The woman sat across from him and started to shuffle the cards. Her hair was straight and red, hanging just below her shoulders. The woman wore an outfit that was stereotypically gypsy, her shirt hung off her shoulders, a scarf tied around her waist where the shirt and skit met. The deep purple skirt reached the floor where Nick managed to notice she wore no shoes.

“Now you want to know what your future holds for you? It is what I promised.” She spoke holding out her hand.

Nick looked at her confused for a moment. Of course, he knew it wouldn't be free. He reached in his pocket to pull out some cash. “Tell me how you knew my name.” He spoke pulling out a five dollar bill and placing it in her hand.

She only smirked and continued to hold her hand out. “If you would like to know what is in store for you...” she dropped her sentence leaving him to understand that it would take more than five dollars for him to know what life held for him. He pulled out two more five dollar bills and placed them in her palm. She closed her hand, satisfied. Nick groaned to himself, he only have five dollars left, his day might as well be over, the money he was given by his parents was almost gone and they would lend him no more.

“Think of a question, and hold it in your head.” She handed him the deck. “Shuffle.” she ordered. When he finished he placed it down in front of him then she simply said, “Cut.” He took the stack and split it in two. “Again.” She pointed to the pile he removed from the top. He followed his direction and leaned back when she piled the cards together again and started to lay them out, in the end it looked like a plus sign with a vertical line to the side and one card sideways on top of the middle card.

She started to mumble to herself as she viewed the cards. “Young man,” she spoke. “I do not think your mind was thinking clearly of one question.”

It was true, from the moment she asked him to think of a question two thoughts flew through his mind. His first school dance was coming up and he wanted to know if the girl he had his eye on would say 'yes' if he asked him. Then again, he wanted desperately to know if he was making a fool of himself auditioning and singing, was that going anywhere?

“Sorry.” He muttered.

Nick could feel the green eyes pierce through him, he could tell this woman had a sixth sense, a second sight, he could feel it in her gaze. He shifted uncomfortably, unable to sit still under her scrutiny.

“Do not worry, the cards have answered both questions. It is unusual for it to happen, but then again, it does happen.” Her voice was sweet again, her eyes softened and she returned to the welcoming figure that coaxed him into her tent. He sat forward, wanting to know the answers.

“There will come a time in your life when you will have to make a decision. This decision will steer the course of your life. For you I see one of two things but not both. Fame and riches will come your way down one path you take, the other, the greatest love of your life you shall receive.” Finished with her prediction, the woman sat back, one arm resting on the back of the chair.

“Can you be more specific?” Nick asked.

“I am afraid I can only speak what the cards reveal to me and this is all they have told. I believe it answers your questions?” She smirked at the young man across from her.

“Yes,” the word tumbled out. “I suppose.” Her gaze was on him again, making him feel as if she was casting a spell with her eyes. He looked down at his watch and gasped, his hour was up. How did that happen? He wondered.

“I gotta go.” He bolted from his seat and out of the gypsy's tent.

The woman watched the boy leave her tent and run through the grounds, “I will be watching your future Nick Carter.”