- Text Size +
Chapter One Hundred-Nineteen
Point of View: Leon



The hall was dim.

I creeped down it, my back hugged to the wall, the switch blade in my hand, my heart pounding with anticipation. I inched along until I found it. Room 221. I stood still, looking up and down the hall.

A woman came around he corner, humming to herself, wearing a terry cloth bathrobe. I tucked the blade behind my back and tried to look casual. She didn't even glance twice at me, but went on her way down the corridor. Once she was out of sight, I turned back to the door.

It was locked, of course.

No lock, however, was going to keep me out. I expertly had broken the lock within seconds. So much for safety.

The room was dark, the curtains covering the window blocked out even the moon and light from the parking lot lamps. There was a faint glow from the screen of the TV monitor, but nothing else. It was just enough glow to illuminate him, laying on the bed, unsuspecting.

I stood over the bed, my heart pounding. He had no idea I was there, he was completely defenseless. His eyes were closed peacefully, his chest rising and falling as he breathed deeply in sleep... No one was there to save him, there would be no getting away. I withdrew the blade from behind my back and grinned as I raised it over my head, over his heart.

His eyes opened. He stared up at me.

"No," he whispered.

I brought the blade down fiercely, strongly, with purpose, and his breath caught in a choking gasp, his eyes unfocused, and it was over.

I pulled the blade out and wiped the blood on the edge of the mattress and stared at his body, no longer rising or falling with air. I smiled, and turned away, back to the hall, back down the stairs I'd climbed, back into the night air, to disappear where no one would find me until I was ready to be found.