- Text Size +
Chapter One Hundred-Thirty-Four
Point of View: Kayla

11 Days Until Nick's Trial

I ran down the stairs. Zoe was asleep on the couch. I threw myself on the carpet beside her and shook her awake. "I can't remember Nick's nose."

She blinked at me groggily, "What?" she mumbled, rubbing her eyes and pushing herself up to be sitting.

I was crouched beside the couch, my hands shaking. "I can't ... I can't remember what Nick's nose is like. I'm trying but I can't and it's driving me crazy."

"It's like a nose," Zoe replied.

"But is it big in proportion to the rest of his face?" I asked, "Or just right? Or small? Is it round or pointy? Auntie Zoe, I can't see his face."

Zoe stared at me. "Why are you having a breakdown over this, Kay?" she asked, looking at me, concerned. "What's going on?"

I was having a breakdown because I'd tried to force myself to think of Nick instead of AJ and my mind had gotten all soupy and cloudy and Nick's body was there, but the face... the face I so desperately adored and wanted to see and kiss and lay my hands on... was gone.

"I-" I bit my lip. I started crying.

"Kayla?" Zoe's voice rose in concern even higher, "What's the matter, baby girl? What's the matter?"

And the next thing I knew, I'd opened my mouth and words had poured out. "I can't imagine Nick! I keep having fantasies about AJ and not Nick and I want to imagine Nick, I want to be able to close my eyes and see my boyfriend, not my boyfriend's friend." I was shaking.

Zoe was staring at me, aghast.

"I don't wanna cheat on Nick," I whispered.

Zoe clearly had no idea how to respond to this.

"I tried to kiss AJ yesterday," I said.

"Stop it." Zoe snapped. She waved her hand at me, "Just stop. Now."

This reaction surprised me. I looked up at her, my own drama suddenly melting away. "What?"

Zoe shook her head, "Jesus Kayla, I don't want to hear about you hurting that boy..." Zoe frowned severely. "He's been through so much shit, I don't want to think that you are going to be the source of more pain for him. Not you." She turned suddenly and looked at me. "If you are even thinking about cheating on him, you break up with him before you do that. Do not hurt him."

I felt like I'd just been slapped.

"You're defending him against me," I said slowly.

"Of course I am, can you hear what you're saying? He's done nothing but worship the ground you walk on."

I shook my head, "That's not the point. You'd totally side with him between the two of us."

"You're being stupid," Zoe answered.

I pouted. "But I was here first," I said. "If you should feel all maternal and protective of anyone, it should be me, not him."

Zoe blinked in surprise, "I am maternal and protective about you," she answered. "Or else I try to be and you get mad!"

"I've never gotten mad at you for being a mother figure!" I cried, my voice rising. I stood up and backed away from the couch.

"It wasn't even a week ago you were flying up them stairs screaming that I wasn't your mother," Zoe responded, her face indignant.

I don't know why... I mean, in all respective honesty, I knew I was being childish as hell... but I didn't give a damn. Suddenly, I was very, very, very, very, very overwhelmed with anger. "I'm going for a walk," I snapped. I breezed by the end of the couch to the front door and grabbed my keys off the side table on the way out.

"Kayla... KAYLA..." Zoe's voice was sharp, but I ignored it, and the front door slammed behind me.

I was filled with determination.