- Text Size +
Chapter One Hundred-Sixty-Two
Point of View: Narrator

4 Days Until Nick’s Trial

Kevin sighed, half sitting on his suitcase, one arm crossed over his chest, his left arm elevated so he could look at the large gold watch on his arm. Brian was over twenty minutes late. He dropped his arm to his side and shook his head, agitated. He wondered if he’d made a mistake, dropping everything to come out here. He could feel his skin prickling with nerves.

In spite of himself and all of the yelling he’d been doing at himself, he still wasn’t certain he trusted that Nick was telling the truth. Kevin wanted to believe Nick so badly, but he just couldn’t. And he wondered how he would vote if it were him on a jury bench, trying to decide if Nick should get off free or not. He needs some fucking amazing evidence, Kevin thought firmly, Or else I’m not going to be the only one that doesn’t believe…

Kevin looked up at the sound of commotion approaching and saw Brian, his eyes wild, running through the airport. Brian’s legs carried him crazy-fast to Kevin, and a sheepish expression melted onto Brian’s features as he slowed down, gasping for air. “What’d you do, run here from your place?” Kevin asked sarcastically.

“Traffic…” Brian panted.

Kevin clapped Brian on the shoulder, “You’re supposed to be in shape, Cuz… Didn’t ya’ll just get off tour?”

Brian nodded and swiped his brow as he stood up. He laughed through the shuddering breaths, “Our choreography has calmed down just a little though since we were teens,” he explained, “We’re almost old men like you now, remember?” He winked.

Kevin laughed, “Oh so ya’ll are a bunch of pansy-assed pretty boys with microphones now?” he asked, quoting the words AJ had once said about Kevin when he’d decided he wanted to have a more low-key show with less choreography.

Brian laughed, “Uh I guess you could say that.”

The two boys started walking toward the doors, Kevin dragging his suitcase and Brian fumbling with his cell phone. As they walked, Brian’s mind wandered and Kevin talked about the flight and this guy named Franklin that had sat next to him. Brian stared at the phone, and wondered if he should tell Kevin about the call he’d received, or just take the guy’s word for it and go get the evidence alone.

“Brian?” Kevin asked, realizing Brian’s attention was elsewhere.

Brian looked up at Kev, “Sorry. Having a Nick moment.” He smiled.

Kevin laughed, “What’s on your mind? Nick’s trial?”

If I tell him, Brian thought, He’s going to want to call the police and stuff. He’s going to want to ask why and who -type questions instead of going and taking the evidence.

“Yeah, the trial,” Brian nodded.

Kevin smiled sadly, “It’s okay, Brian,” he said. “Nick’s going to be just fine, no matter what happens at the trial.”

Brian looked at Kevin, “I’m more worried for me than I am for Nick,” he laughed, only half joking. “I count on Nick a lot, you know that Kevin, and it’s only gotten worse without you around. I mean, he’s really grown up a lot.”

Kevin snorted, “Mm, I guess.”

Brian shook his head, “No Kevin, seriously. You don’t know him anymore. Since he’s been off the drugs and everything – just since rehab – Nick’s grown up.”

The words you don’t know him anymore stung Kevin and he stopped walking as they sunk in under his skin, searing his heart and making him lose his breath momentarily. He looked at Brian as his cousin came to a stop as well and frowned “Kev?” Brian asked, a concerned look on his face.

“I just never realized how much you guys all changed since I’ve been gone,” Kevin replied. “I guess somehow in my heart I thought you would all always stay the same. Like you were frozen in time.”

“We’ve all changed, Kevin,” Brian said, “We had to.”

Kevin knew Brian was referring to the way the group’s dynamic had shattered when he left. Without their ‘daddy’ figure, they’d all been forced to rethink their own roles in the band. Nick had been forced out of the rambunctious child role into rebellious teen and now the adult living with the consequences of his rebellion… Howie had become the closest thing to a father the band had these days, being the serious eldest brother… Brian had taken on the emotional role of childcare with the other fellas, listening to them like a sounding board and trying to keep them all glued together… while AJ had remained somewhat the same, still the quirky, off-beat brother whose heart was huge but didn’t always think things through. He was the perfect sidekick for Nick, a role that Brian had once filled but had since grown too old for it.

And all this time, I just grew old, Kevin thought, considering all this. He ran a hand through his salt-and-peppered hair and sighed.

“And to think,” Kevin said, as Brian stared at him, “I missed it.”

Brian smiled, “The doors always open, Kevin, we’ve said it a million times.”

“I know, Kevin said, nodding, “I know. Sometimes you just can’t go back, though,” he said.

“You can always come back,” Brian replied.

Kevin started walking again, dragging his suitcase, the little wheels clicking on the edges of the tile floor. Brian led the way to his Jeep in the parking lot and Kevin hoisted the suitcase into the back. “So are there any guesses who stole the stuff?” Kevin questioned.

“Not really,” Brian answered.

Kevin climbed into the passenger seat of the Jeep and Brian swung himself behind the steering wheel. “Tell me everything that’s gone on,” Kevin said, “And start from the very beginning.”

Brian launched into the story as he drove toward the house. As the story unfolded, Kevin felt more and more reassured that Nick was telling the truth. He looked at his watch. “Nick can receive visitors?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Brian nodded.

“I want to go see him tomorrow,” Kevin said.

Brian smiled, “I was hoping you’d say that.”

Kevin nodded, “If I’m going to help, I’m going to need to know everything. Then we’re going to call my lawyer.”

Brian nodded, sighing in relief. “I’m really glad you’re here, Kev,” he confessed.

Kevin smiled, “I just hope I can help,” he answered.

Between Kevin and the evidence, whatever it is, Brian thought, Nick may have a fighting chance… Brian imagined what his life would be like without his little bro, without Nick… the thought made his heart ache and he shook it away. Please Lord, he added, Please let it be okay after all... We need a happy ending.