- Text Size +
Epilogue


"Can someone pass the mashed potatoes?"

"This bread is fucking amazing, by the way, who the hell brought the bread?"

"Zoe your meatloaf - oh my God, I need this recipe."

"PO-TAY-TOES PLEEEEASE!"

"Nothing like wine, there really isn't."

"Yeah, whining's a ball."

"You would know."

"Heyyy!"

"What it's true!"

"I don't whine!!! and even if I did you're supposed to be nice at me, I just got outta jail!"

Everyone laughed.

They were all gathered around in Brian's house. Leighanne and Brian had shoved together several card tables to make a giant square that everyone could fit around and set out plates, glasses and silverware. Zoe's meat loaf - two of them - and a huge bowl of alfredo donned the center of the table and everyone was gathered around it, eagerly spooning out the food.

Kayla was clinging to Nick's arm, her fingers entwined with his under the table as he spun the noodles around his fork. He grinned, looking around at his family and friends.

Everything had worked out smoothly - perfectly. The only thing that hadn't was Eric's trial. Nick hadn't heard about it until after the excitement died down for his own trial. He'd cornered the officer that had asked for his autograph the day before and asked if he knew anything about Eric. "They found him guilty," said the officer slowly, "Of killing a fellow inmate."

"Now what?" Nick asked quietly, afraid of the answer.

"He's been sentenced to life in prison."

Nick felt sick to his stomach. He turned to Dirk. "Gimme a piece of paper," he requested, "And a pen. Please." Quickly he scrawled out a note, promising Eric that he would visit him, not to give up, that he'd do all he could do to help him, and attached Zoe's address - which was where he was going to be staying until he had some place to go.

Now, that evening, the first he'd spent at home as a free man, he sat silently for a moment, watching them all. Leighanne was touching her stomach a lot - he had a feeling he knew what that meant, but Brian hadn't said anything yet so he was keeping that to himself - and yelling at Baylee for throwing a spoonful of potato across the table to AJ, who had been whining for potatoes. Brian was grinning ear-to-ear, laughing with Howie and Kevin was holding a glass of wine. Zoe was smiling at Nick, a look of pride in her eyes.

"When can we finish those lessons, Zoe?" Nick asked her, smiling, "I still have a few hours left, don't I?"

"Yes, actually," Zoe laughed, "You do."

Nick grinned, "Awesome." He looked at Kayla, "Gives me all the more excuse to come see you... and to mooch more of this meatloaf off you. Damn Zoe, best meatloaf ever."

Zoe turned red. "Oh shut up."

"No it is, it's fucking amazing," AJ called, stuffing potatoes in his mouth.

Howie stood up. "Okay, everyone, I have something I need to say." He held up his wine glass and tapped it to get everyone's attention. The volume level dropped quickly and Nick stared up at him. Howie turned to focus on Nick. "Okay.. so.. the thing is. You know I'm crappy at helping out with like detectivey type crap. How much stuff have you chuckleheads gotten away with on the bus? Everyone knows the figuring-out-shit thing is Kevin's deal, so I wasn't much help during this whole court-trial-prep thingy, other than just looking good while everyone else did all the work..." he cheesed.

"Oh yeah, you're a real stud, D," AJ scoffed.

Nick smirked, "Shh, let the Mexican finish talking."

"Okay, Nick, y'know, screw you, I'm not above killing you right here, right now."

"No," Kevin said, voice stern, "I am not going through another trial, thank you very fucking much."

Nick cracked up, "Hell yeah!!"

Howie snickered, "Okay so this one time only you get away with that - but in the future, Nicky, remember its PUERTO RICAN OR I KEEL YOU!"

Nick beamed, "Okay, Jose."

"Okay you know what I'm not telling you this no more."

"SHH! No, Howie," Nick laughed, "Cmon I'm jokin'. Tell me."

"Yeah D!" AJ called, "Tell him!"

Kayla kissed Nick's cheek and Nick squeezed her shoulder.

"Okay, well, Nick, we broke ground two days ago on my new gated community housing development here on the west coast, and... well, the first house being built.. I'd like you to have it." He withdrew the plans from his breast pocket and Nick's eyes widened.

"Howie..."

"Nick, you need a new home and I will just as happily be your landlord as your best friend." Howie grinned. "It's the least I can do for all the wonderful years we've been friends. I don't know where I'd be without you."

"Somewhere with less grey hair?" ventured Brian.

"I'll keel you, too," Howie snapped, pointing at Brian.

Nick leaned back in the chair, he felt content. He looked around at the other fellas. "Thank you, you guys," he said, "For not giving up on me. I know it hasn't been an easy road, and I've caused a lotta problems, with my drinking and the accident and everything, but.. through it all, you all have been here for me, and you all have been... so fucking amazing... I dunno, I don't even know what to say. You've been great. All of you."

"It's cos we love you Nick," Zoe said quietly.

"Here, here," Kevin grinned.

Nick smiled, "And I love you guys, too. Just... thank you for not deserting me when I was broken... and for believing that I could be fixed."

Brian lifted up his wine glass, "To fixing Nick," he suggested.

"A Nick fix," AJ laughed.

And all their glasses raised.



Chapter End Notes:
Coming Soon!

Wanna find out more about what happened between Nick and Krystal? Waste of Paint, a prequel to Fix can be read here. And then, what happens after the trial? That's right, there's gonna be a sequel, too! Make sure to check back for these two stories in my Damaged Goods series.