- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty-Three
Point of View: Narrator

Nick Carter had become Zoe's obsession ever since Stacey had stopped by the office with the envelope containing the $20,000 check. The check had a basket ball logo in the top left corner next to the printed name and address, and it featured the Boston Celtics logo and in the bottom right a beautiful, script signature that didn't fit with the chicken scratch printing that covered the rest of the check.

Seeing her name on the "pay to the order" line of a check featuring that many zeros had never happened to Zoe before. But there it was, in that messy writing. Zoe Sinclaire, Sinclaire Driver's Education.

Unfortunately, the check was post dated, so she couldn't cash it until the first day that Stacey had scheduled Nick to drive with Zoe.

So she might not have been able to cash the pretty check that she'd been given or to actually meet the infamous drunk driving Backstreet Boy, but Zoe had given a lot of time and thought to what she was going to be working on with him in two weeks when he got out of Oak Groves.

She'd put together a folder. Inside was her course's four study guides, the DMV driver's manual, the four take-home tests, the two project assignments, and 20 reproduced articles about drunk driving. Including two of the ones she'd clipped about Nick himself. Let him think that one over. He was now material to scare the shit out of teens learning how to drive. She also threw in a DVD that contained ten gut-wrenching videos about drunk driving, driving without a seat belt, and texting while driving.

She'd chosen those topics after looking into Nick's driving records with the DMV. It turned out that Nick was a horrible driver and had done some fancy foot work to keep his license more than this once. She found a list of about five or six basic traffic violations - a couple for speeding (70 in a 40 on one of them, and he'd been brought to court over it), failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, an illegal U-turn, running a red light - and also some incidents that she counted more alarming. Two DWI's were in his past - not counting the one in her front yard. One he had been excused of upon further investigation, whatever that meant, and the second one the state had upheld. Additionally, she found an interesting combination of texting while driving and one for basically flipping off a cop.

She'd also found a lovely mug shot taken after the second DWI that she thought about throwing into her pile of stuff for her classes. ("Do you want to look this attractive?" she could imagine herself joking.)

She had two more weeks to complete planning the routes they would drive over the 100 hours, which she had to submit to the DMV before driving with him. She also had a massive amount of paperwork to complete to request his driving status be made "inactive" so she could actually let him behind the wheel.

Between Nick and her class, Zoe was going to be really busy for awhile. Luckily, the class was almost over and she'd be able to focus fully on Nick for the rest of the summer.

If Nick Carter wanted to be a safe driver then Zoe was going to make him a damn safe one.... and that meant that if he wanted to get his rehabilitated driver form signed by Zoe, then he was going to have to jump through the hoops she held up... like a good little show dog.