- Text Size +
Chapter Two Point of View: Narrator

AJ finally made his way back to the booth where Howie was sitting, Vanessa's number stored on his phone. He already knew he probably wouldn't call her. She'd been fun enough for a night dancing at the club, but he couldn't really picture much else than that. She ha about twelve brain cells to her whole body. Plus they'd be leaving to the next city in the morning anyway.

"Nick come over here?" AJ asked.

"Yeah the little bitch wrecked my nachos," Howie answered without looking up from his phone. "I could've killed him."

"Nice," AJ rolled his eyes, "He's fucked on something, D."

This made Howie look up. "Again?"

"Yeah, you know that stupid look he gets when he's messed up," AJ nodded to the dance floor, "He was just flailing around out there looking stupid. He pisses me off so bad." AJ pulled out his own phone, tired of being there and wondering what time it was.

"He's gotta stop," Howie muttered, shaking his head. He tossed his phone onto the table and took a pull off the beer he had sitting on the table. "He's going to end up dead if he keeps it up."

AJ was scanning the room, "Where did the little shit go anyway?"

"I have no idea," Howie answered.

Brian and Leighanne suddenly appeared at the table. "What did someone surgically separate your mouths for you finally?" AJ asked, looking up.

Leighanne reddened but Brian smiled. "Jealous," he said. He looked around, "Where's Nick?" he asked.

"Probably doing dope in the bathroom or some shit," AJ muttered, but too low for Brian to hear him clearly.

"What?" Brian cupped his ear and leaned closer.

"I said I don't know!" AJ called into Brian's ear.

Brian frowned, "Well whatever. Leighanne and I are heading back to the hotel. We'll see ya'll in the morning." He waved and guided Leighanne out of the club.

As they watched Brian and Leighanne leave, a waitress stopped at the table. "Can I get you guys anything?" she asked.

Howie held up the bowl, and the waitress took it from him. "An order of the nachos." The waitress looked a little weirded out that he was ordering more while sending a whole bowl back to the kitchen, but didn't question it. So what if the guy wanted to spend another thirteen dollars on more nachos when he already had some?

"I'm gonna go hunt Shithead down," AJ said, getting up.

"I'd seriously check the bathrooms," Howie said.

AJ figured he would if Nick wasn't on the main floor. He headed down stairs. He got there just in time, too. A fight was breaking out by the bar. He got there just as Nick threw a beer and the glass shattered, the ale running down the wall. The guy Nick was facing was much bigger than him, even height wise. AJ quickly ducked over, "There you are," he muttered. He snagged Nick's arm and turned to the guy he was facing, "Sorry." He dragged Nick away. "What the hell are you doing?"

"That dick stole my seat," Nick complained.

"Seriously? You're gonna get yourself killed over a bar stool?" AJ pulled Nick back toward the VIP lounge. "I dunno what the hell is up with you, but you're getting ridiculous."

"You're ridiculous," Nick snapped back.

"Ohh, that's original," AJ said, "Using my own insults against me. Shit, if I'd called you a complete fuck up I suppose I would've been one, too, huh?"

Nick shook AJ off him and stormed to the booth where Howie's nachos were just arriving. AJ rolled his eyes at the back of Nick's head. He kind of would've enjoyed beating the crap out of him at that moment. Where the hell is Kevin when you need him? AJ wondered.

Howie pulled the nacho bowl closer to him protectively as Nick sat down across from him. AJ dropped beside Howie. "Where'd you find el douche?" Howie asked, nodding at Nick.

"Excuse me, I'm right here," Nick muttered.

"He was upstairs, trying to get pummeled over a fucking bar stool," AJ answered. "He threw a beer at the wall."

Nick grumbled something incoherently.

Howie laughed, "Nice. Very smooth, Nick. Very nice."

Nick closed his eyes; he couldn't handle them making fun of him anymore.

AJ sighed, looking between Nick and Howie. "Yanno what, screw this. Let's go back to the hotel. This place blows." Howie looked sadly at the nachos, but the hotel sounded more alluring, so he got up as AJ did. They both stood there, staring at Nick. "C'mon," AJ said, "Let's go."

"I ain't goin'," Nick said, "It's only like midnight. Nobody cool leaves 'til two. You know that," he added, looking crossly at AJ.

"Yeah whatever," AJ grabbed Nick's arm, "You're coming. Let's go."

Nick momentarily thought about beating the crap out of AJ, but that wouldn't work out to his advantage, he already knew. AJ might be small, but he was like a shrew. Nick allowed AJ to pull him up out of the booth and watched as Howie chucked a tip onto the table by his full bowl of nachos and empty beer bottle.

In the cab, Nick started to feel sick to his stomach.

When they got back to the hotel, AJ deposited Nick at his hotel room door. "I'll tell security to keep an eye out for you," he said, turning and walking down the hall, not wanting to spend any longer with him than he had to.