- Text Size +
Journal Entry


today reminded me of this one time in '99 when we were on the Millennium tour. we were driving from boston to new york on the bus, and there was this big honking snapping turtle on the road. i happened to have been up front by the drivers and i saw it and freaked out and chris, the driver, pulled over and opened the doors so i could go back and save it. our road manager, tim, he was so pissed, like literally the guy's face was scarlet purplish reddish color and he was screaming at me to get back on the bus. i ran back down the grass to where the turtle was, and i ran into the middle of four lanes of massachusetts drivers on the mass turn pike (you think the freaking auto bahn is bad? you ain't seen nothing yet) to get the turtle. people were honking and pointing and yelling curses and flippin the bird and taking pictures and...it was so crazy. I picked up the turtle by his shell though, and carried him - damn was he heavy - back to the side of the road. he was kicking his feet slowly and waving his head, snapping. if he'd gotten his mouth around my hand he would've bit my finger off i'm sure. i got to the side of the road and brought him down to the bottom of the hill there to where there was a fence and i dropped him over it so he couldn't get back on the highway. i said the same thing that day, when i got on the bus and faced everyone's wrath, as i did today. just because it's smaller than us doesn't make its life inconsequential. i know... i know what it is to be inconsequential on a personal level. i know that sounds stupid because i mean im famous what the hell do i know about being inconsequential right? thats usually what most people think when i complain about this type stuff. they think I'm being a whiny bitch - a spoiled rich guy who doesn't get what he wants when he wants it and therefore thinks he must slit his wrists because life is no longer worth living.... but really, that's not fair at all. because first of all i wasnt ALWAYS famous, and second of all i WON'T always be famous. and third, it doesn't always matter if your famous, sometimes you're famous for bad reasons. like going to rehab after wrapping your car around a tree or being screwed over by krystal. it doesn't matter the situation, if someone or something hurts you and kills you inside, if someone uses you for your money when they should be loving you because of who you are, or if you get forgotten, overlooked, and turned away from... it all hurts the same, whether we're famous or not. and maybe a frog doesnt feel it when you don't care about it, i dont know. im not a scientist, nor am i a frog, so i have no way to tell what the frog feels. all i know is that if someone can overlook something that's living - no matter the size - then what would keep them from looking over something bigger? and hell, just because someone knows your name... doesn't mean they have any idea who you really are.