- Text Size +
Chapter Forty
Point of View: Zoe

When I pulled up at 8am the next day, it was to the most bizarre Nick moment I'd encountered yet. He was still wearing the spiderman body suit (we'd found the mask in the back of Kayla's car), curled up in a ball under a blanket on the front lawn, asleep.

"I cannot wait to hear this one," I muttered, opening the car door. His house was lit up like a Christmas tree, the door flung open, just as it had been the night before. Very little looked like it had changed at all, except Bitch Barbie's car was missing. I got to my feet and slowly made my way to Nick across the grass.

I watched his chest rise and fall and part of me felt relieved - he was breathing. Funny, I hadn't even realized I was worried about that until I wasn't anymore. I lifted one of my crutches and used it to shake his shoulder, "Nick?" I called. "Nick, wake up."

His eyes slowly opened, and he squinted against the sunlight, peering up at me from the grass. "Zoe?" he asked, confused sounding. "Where's... where's..." he looked around at the grass and the stoop to his house, the light shining through the doorway. "Shit, why am I outside?"

"That's a good question," I answered.

Nick rolled over onto his back and sat up. "Shit." He sat very still a moment, hands on his knees, and I could see him wincing – "Shit."

"What?" I asked, unsure what else to do. "What's wrong?"

He looked back towards the house. "C'mere."

He stood up and led the way into his house. He stopped in the foyer as I came in behind him and gasped. The last time I'd stood in the foyer it had looked beautiful. That was exactly twenty-four hours ago. Now... "Nick, what the hell happened? It looks like a hurricane ripped through."

"Hurricane Krystal," he muttered. "You should see the upstairs. My studio, my room..."

I nudged the palm tree with my crutch. "Shit. What was this all for?" I asked.

Nick sighed, "She thought she was still moving in... I told her no, told her to get out. She's a bad influence on me... I saw that last night."

I maneuvered my way over the palm tree and moved further into the room. "Are those..." I started to ask, pointing at the keys in the bottom of the fish tank.

"My camaro keys? Yes," Nick said, shaking his head. "They cost like a hundred bucks to replace."

I took a peek into Nick's kitchen and living room and shook my head. "She really wanted you to know she was pissed, huh?" I said.

"I dunno what to do," Nick answered, sinking onto the bottom stair.

"Call the cops," I answered flatly.

Nick looked up at me. "I don't wanna get her in trouble..."

"Don't be stupid," I snapped. "Get your balls out of her purse and get on the phone with the LAPD. She trashed your house, Nick, the bitch deserves to pay." My words came out harsh, but I knew they were true so I didn't even try to curb them.

Nick nodded, setting his jaw, "You're right."

"What have I told you?" I laughed, "Nick... I'm always right."

"Actually..." he held up his hands, "You're left, right now." He pulled his cell phone out from his pocket under his spiderman costume, smirking.