- Text Size +
Chapter Fifty-Two
Point of View: Zoe

It was ten-thirty. Kayla wasn't home. I was sitting on the sofa, staring at the TV, but not watching it. I was waiting for the sound of her keys in the lock. I was tempted to call her cell phone, but didn't want her to think I didn't trust her. I waited. If she wasn't home by 10:45, I'd go find her.

By 10:50.

By 10:55.

By 11:00.

At 11:10 I stood up and went to the door, grabbing the Prius keys on the way. Nick Carter was about to be slaughtered. I wrenched the door opened and saw Kayla sitting on the front steps, her face buried in her hands.

Well, evidently, he'd at least had her home on time.

I sank down next to her. She wasn't crying, she just had her face covered, breathing deeply. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she looked over at me for a fleeting second before returning to her previous position as I inched closer. "Kayla, honey," I whispered, "What's the matter?"

Kayla turned into me and pulled my arm closer around her. "I told Nick I loved him," she whispered, "And he's not ready to say it back. I just wish I'd waited. That's all."

I sighed. "He's a boy, boys are stupid." I squeezed her shoulder.

"I'm just sad because I thought he would say it back," Kayla explained.

Ah, my poor, naive niece. "Sometimes boys are so stupid they just need longer to say it, that's all," I told her gently, running my hand down the top of her arm.

"Yeah," she whispered. "I don't know." She looked at me, her eyes red, though not crying. "Auntie Zoe, it doesn't mean he doesn't love me, right?"

"If he doesn't, he's stupid," I replied.

Kayla didn't answer, but I found myself thinking, well, he can be pretty stupid sometimes.

"Sometimes I just don't feel lovable," she confessed.

The statement broke my heart, "Oh Kayla, of course you're lovable. Who the hell in their right mind wouldn't love you? You're beautiful, and talented, and sweet." I kissed her cheek, "I'm so proud of you, honey. Anyone who has your affections is a very lucky person, and they should be thankful for you."

Kayla smiled up at me, "Thank you, Auntie Zoe," she whispered. She licked her lips. "I really, really want Nick to like me, that's all."

"That boy likes you," I answered, "I know he does. I - well, I talked to him today."

Kayla raised her eyebrows, "You what?"

I licked my lips, "I went over there this morning after you left, and I - I told him about the shovel and the gun."

"Auntie Zoe!" Kayla cried, leaning away. "No wonder he was so freaked out." She shook her head. "Zoe, you scared the fuck out of him."

"Don't say that word," I snapped. "And good, that boy needs a little 'fuck' scared out of him."

Kayla shook her head, "You're impossible." But she was smiling, and I knew deep down she appreciated that I threatened her boyfriends.

"It only means that I care," I reminded her.

"I know," she said with a sigh, "But Aunt Zoe? Could you refrain from caring for a little while so you don't scare this one away? I really like him."

I pursed my lips. "I wish you'd choose someone I don't feel like I have to scare to trust," I responded, shaking my head, "But I'll do what I can. I'll be on my best behavior tomorrow for our drive, how's that?"

"The most I could ask for," she replied.