- Text Size +
Chapter Sixty-One
Point of View: Narrator

Zoe was watching her students take their third exams. They were all busy working on them, except George, who sat looking at the girl beside him as she leaned over the paper, her chest angled suggestively. Zoe was tempted to go smack him in the back of the head and remind him he was taking a test, but she figured it served him right if he screwed it up because he was too busy looking at boobs. Men are pigs, she thought nastily, turning to the stool she sat in by the whiteboard.

She couldn't believe summer was coming to a close already. The two weeks driving with Nick had flown by and she was still shocked this motley crew was nearly ready to graduate the DE program. It seemed like she'd just barely started to remember all their names. Well, except George's. As annoying as he was, she had to admit he was her favorite in the class this time. He reminded her of Nick. She felt like she wanted to warn him to slow down, so he didn't end up where Nick was. But in one way, that seemed unfair. Nick may have made mistakes and yes, he was living out the consequences, but overall, Nick was a good guy, a lucky man, and, she realized, she was proud of him. George would do well to be like Nick one day.

"Ms. Sinclaire," whispered Heather, who had migrated to the front of the class this week. Zoe got up and went over, bending as low as she could on the crutches. Heather came up the rest of the way and whispered in Zoe's ear, "Can I talk to you after class?"

"Of course," Zoe replied, looking at the clock. "I'll only have a few minutes before I have to drive with Scott, but we can certainly talk for those minutes." She smiled.

"Thanks," Heather said, turning back to her test.

Zoe wondered what Heather wanted that was worth whispering during the test?



Kayla was dizzy with excitement as Nick led her into the studio at the end of the hall. It was beautiful, all dark and comfortable. He had carpeted even the walls ("It gives better acoustics, isn't that weird?" he asked, laughing) and the floor was covered with oriental rugs ("That one there?" he pointed, "That was the one we used on our Night Out video," he smirked, "BSB history right there."). She watched as he hooked up his laptop and rested it on the soundboard that had been smashed in. Luckily, none of the other equipment in the studio seemed touched. When he got the laptop hooked up, he smiled and took her hand, "And now you... come over here."

Nick led Kayla into the sound booth, and sat her down on the stool in the center. He reached for a microphone boom that hung over head that looked like something from the pictures of 1940's radio shows. Kayla started to feel nervous as he pulled it in front of her and adjusted it from her mouth. He pulled over a sheet music stand, and dropped some pages onto it, "Here's a song," he said, smirking. She couldn't see what one it was though, because he stood in front of it, and pulled a pair of giant earphones from a hook and gently pulled them on her head. He held them there, his hands over the ear pieces, and smiled at her. Her eyes were nervous, her cheeks flushed. He kissed her, and winked. "You look sexy like that," he said.

"What?" she lifted one of the ear pieces as he backed away.

"You're sexy like that," he repeated, "We should do naked recording," he laughed as she blushed. "I'm kidding, baby," he assured her, and then he slipped out of the sound booth.

She used the opportunity, as he sat down at the computer outside in a rolling desk chair, to look at the sheet music he'd brought her. It was a Backstreet Boys song. She laughed, of course it was, what else would he have laying around to use? It was a more obscure one, but one that she definitely remembered.

"Ready?" he asked, leaning into the microphone that connected to her headset.

Kayla was surprised when his voice came through her ears, so close, while she was looking at him, so far away. She smiled, she liked the feeling of his low voice so close. She gave him the thumbs up. "Okay, he said, here comes the music. Listen for the drum beat before you start."

"Okay," she said.

"Intro... incoming..."

The music started playing. The familiar tones of the piano made her heart beat faster. She could remember, suddenly, a day when she'd laid across her bed, holding a Tiger Beat magazine, and kissing the pin-ups inside. She'd loved both Nsync and Backstreet Boys. She felt her heart pumping hard in her chest. She was afraid - what if she messed up?

"Okay, go," Nick's voice was sultry in her ear.

"Open up.. your heart to me...
And say what's on your mind.. mmm, yes
I know that we have been through so much pain
But I still need you, in my life... this time
And I need you tonight, I need you right now
I know deep within my heart
it doesn't matter if it's wrong or right
I really you tonight...


The music stopped and Kayla looked up from the sheets. She'd been about to continue onto the second verse. Nick was gnawing his lower lip, "You sound nervous," he said.

"I'm singing your song," Kayla laughed nervously, "And you're staring at me." She was deep red.

Nick laughed. "You're making it sexier..."

"Yeah like that's possible," Kayla said without thinking. She turned even redder.

Nick's grin was naughty, and wide. "Oh so you knew the song."

"I... might have... listened to it... a few times," she said.

Nick laughed, "Yeah?"

"Uh huh," Kayla was trying to stay cool.

"Okay. I got a idea, actually," Nick said. He got up, picked up the lap top and came into the studio. He grabbed another stand and set of headphones and came over. He propped the stand at an angle and rested the laptop on it, then pulled the headphones over his own ears. "You take the first verse again. Ready?" he asked.

"Yes," she said. He was leaning so close, his chin on her shoulder, looking down at the sheets. He hit a button on the computer and the piano tingled in her ears again.

"Open up your heart to me...
and say what's on your mind...

She was ridiculously aware of his presence as she sang. She felt like she might die. Then, as the chorus dropped, he began singing with her, his hands on her stomach.

"I need you tonight, I need you right now
I know deep within my heart
It doesn't matter if it's wrong or right
I really need you tonight...


She felt his breath against his neck as he whispered the 'whoo' against her. She felt like she was going to fall apart. He held up his finger in front of her mouth as the second verse started.

"I figured out what to say to you, mmm
Sometimes the words they- they come out so wrong...
Oh yes they do...
And I know in time that you will understand...
Then what we have... is so right... this time...


His finger lowered as the chorus started, and she joined him again, their voices blending into the microphone. He ran his hands down her hips.

"All those endless times we've tried to make it
Last forever more
And baby I know I need.... you...


She'd stopped halfway through the long note, letting him carry it. And as the music swelled, she turned to look at him as he held the long "ohhh" that had always made her feel faint when she was younger. And their eyes locked as the song slowed from the bridge, and he leaned closer to her, his mouth inches from hers...

"All I know is baby...
I really need you..."


And their lips touched. He dropped a hand to the computer and the music stopped, but the kiss did not. She grabbed his back and pulled him closer to her, wrapping her legs around his waist as the height of the stool afforded her the luxury of being able to do so. He had his hands in her hair behind the headset, and his strong arms encased her, making her feel safe. She could feel his spine and ran her fingers down it, making his body writhe under her touch. He gasped into her mouth as she reached the very bottom of his spine, after having dragged the whole way from his neck down. She smiled, as he stood still, their faces only centimeters apart, breathing. His eyes were closed, and his head tilted slightly downward and to the side. She stared at him, studied his eyelashes, which were slightly moist, just from the passion of the moment and the song. They were beautiful eyelashes, she thought.

His eyes fluttered opened slightly and the blue of them turned to look back at hers. A smile spread across his face and he turned, laying a kiss on her cheek. "You're amazing," he whispered.

"No you are," she countered.

He smiled. "Unless something went terribly wrong there, I think that was actually a really good cut," he laughed.

"You sounded unbelievable," she whispered. "You should re-record that song."

"I just did," he whispered. He kissed her jaw softly, the spot where Leon's handprint had been. The skin was still raw there.

"I mean like for real," she answered softly.

"Like I said," he said, "I just did."

Kayla pulled back, "What?"

"Well if the cut is good, why not use it?" he asked. He kissed her, "It could be like a special edition thing--"

"You are not releasing that song with me interjecting on your vocals," Kayla demanded, "No I don't wanna do that. I love that song way too much. Please."

He laughed, "Okay, fine. But I'm keeping that."

She laughed, "That I don't mind."

"We should write original stuff for you," he admitted.

Kayla smiled, "Yeah? I have some stuff, lyrics I've written. It's all at home, though. And I don't know if its any good."

"Bring it tomorrow," he whispered.

"Okay," Kayla smiled. Her legs were still wrapped around Nick's waist, her hands still on his back, his still in her hair. She dropped her legs and his hands slid down, and she slipped off the stool and he was once again so much taller than she was. "I've never been in a studio before," she said.

Nick smiled, "Your first time and you taped with a Backstreet Boy. Damn, woman, you're good."

Kayla laughed and stood on tippy toes to kiss his chin.



Heather tentatively approached Zoe as she was collecting all the test papers off the desk. The students had herded off already, and she could hear George in the hall showing off how he was pretty sure he got an A-triple-plus on the test. Heather stood a few feet away from Zoe, awkward. "I have a question for you," he said.

"Sure," Zoe smiled, "I'll answer, anything to help out. Is it about the test?"

"Not exactly," Heather answered. She wrung her hands. "Ms. Sinclaire, you said you're driving with Nick Carter, right?"

Not at all what Zoe had been expecting. "Yes," she said, nodding, "He's doing rehabilitation driving. Why?"

Heather was looking at her feet. "Well, I've been a Backstreet Boys fan for a really long time," she said, "Since I was a baby, my mom says. And... well, all these rumors are going around, about him killing Krystal Armaletto, and..." she locked eyes with Zoe.

"You're wondering if I know?" Zoe asked.

Heather nodded sheepishly, "Yeah."

Zoe took a deep breath and sat down and motioned for Heather to do the same. "He was with me that night, at Wal-Mart," Zoe said, "He's dating my niece."

"So he didn't do it?" Heather asked.

Zoe shook her head, "No. Nick didn't do it."

Heather nodded, relief on her face. "What's he like, Ms. Sinclaire?"

Zoe smiled, "He's a very nice guy. I was surprised, very pleasantly, by Nick. He's funny, and he's thoughtful. Deep."

Heather smiled. "Ms. Sinclaire?"

"Yes?"

"This is crazy, I'm sorry, but... Is there anyway that maybe... I could... meet him?"

Zoe smiled, "I'll have to talk to Nick about it."